Smokin car

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Temujin

Smokin car

Post by Temujin »

Nope, not some fancy souped up motor, my car.

Just popped home for lunch, came back to work, parked and went to set the windows down an inch to it didn't get too hot.
Passenger window goes all the way down and smoke billows out of the 2 door switches  :shock:
Phoned the Audi garage and the soonest they can get me in is Monday  :?
so I've got an open car for the next 6 days  :cry:
gonna have to make room in the garage for it now and thats gonna be damned hard work  :cry:  :cry:
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

I'm filling up here.
:cry:  :crybaby:

Pu t your foot down and head for the back,
you'll have all the room ya want.  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Thats what buses are for :!:
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

...or bicycles (if you live within, say, 10 miles of your workplace.).

Now I work from home, but I used to regularly commute to work by bike.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Make me glad my old car has wind up windows - less to go wrong.

Sorry they take so long, hope you soon have to fixed, and the parts are in stock.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Thats what buses are for :!:
I'll barely be able to get it in the garage, how on earth am I gonna get it in a bus Image
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

gregoryw wrote:...or bicycles (if you live within, say, 10 miles of your workplace.).
:oops:  :oops: actually, if I lean out one of the upstairs windows, I can see where I work.
Straight line its about 3/4 mile but about 2 miles by road or 15 miles by my route :D
Haven't had a bicycle for 30 years
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Make me glad my old car has wind up windows - less to go wrong.

Sorry they take so long, hope you soon have to fixed, and the parts are in stock.
ahh nice, a sympathetic post, thanks
Can almost guarantee that they won't have the parts, they normally don't but get em the next day.

will just have to get a pool car till its fixed :roll:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Re: Smokin car

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Temujin wrote:Nope, not some fancy souped up motor, my car.

Just popped home for lunch, came back to work, parked and went to set the windows down an inch to it didn't get too hot.
Passenger window goes all the way down and smoke billows out of the 2 door switches  :shock:
Phoned the Audi garage and the soonest they can get me in is Monday  :?
so I've got an open car for the next 6 days  :cry:
gonna have to make room in the garage for it now and thats gonna be damned hard work  :cry:  :cry:

If you can get to Liverpool :?   I can get your window closed, not sayin I'll fix it for ya but I'll get the window closed. I do auto electrical all day, just bring a few beers with ya  :wink:  .
Click my stats sig and have a nose at my site (not finished yet :( ) or check out my other site
NWA-RV

just so you know I won't break ya window :lol: and not sound like an advert 8)
Temujin

Re: Smokin car

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:If you can get to Liverpool :?   I can get your window closed, not sayin I'll fix it for ya but I'll get the window closed. I do auto electrical all day, just bring a few beers with ya  :wink:  .
Click my stats sig and have a nose at my site (not finished yet :( ) or check out my other site
NWA-RV

just so you know I won't break ya window :lol: and not sound like an advert 8)
I almost had to be in Blackburn tomorrow so could've taken you up on it but don't have to go now.
Think I'll just get it in the garage till I can get it over to the dealers on monday.

I've looked at your site before (one of em at least), big yank imports, performance mods and solar panels etc so I know you could do it  :D

Thanks for the offer.

Vorsprung durch busted
UBT - PiezPiedPy

no probs fella.

why don't you try gettin your dealer to send a mobile auto spark, its only a tiny job, be done in an hr or 2,

or try my sisters idea utilizing selotape and a bin bag :roll:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:no probs fella.
why don't you try gettin your dealer to send a mobile auto spark, its only a tiny job, be done in an hr or 2,
I might give em another ring and see if they can get just the window closed.
Then theres the other 2 dealers in the area....
or try my sisters idea utilizing selotape and a bin bag :roll:
hmmn, nice  8)
mind you, me last car was black, so you wouldn't have noticed it  :D
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

Bummer. Hope you get it sorted soonest.

Might be worth getting the Mrs to take it to another dealer and pulling the "vulnerable woman" line?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:Bummer. Hope you get it sorted soonest.

Might be worth getting the Mrs to take it to another dealer and pulling the "vulnerable woman" line?
Yep, could be worth a try.

You've not seen anything as funny as me trying to get the car into the garage tonight.
Tried when I 1st got home but it was too tight, needed someone to guide me.
Wifey got home, so out we went.

Started off straight, then turned right at the fridge, then sharp left at the table saw and flip the wing mirror in as it passes the bandsaw.
There's 1 inch clearance either side so can't open either door.
The windows are too small to climb out of and theres fridges and bandsaws in the way anyway.
Ended up having to climb out the boot  :D  :D

all good fun
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

That's the trouble with modern garages - still designed around the dimensions of pre-war Austins.  :(
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Temujin wrote:[There's 1 inch clearance either side so can't open either door.
The windows are too small to climb out of and theres fridges and bandsaws in the way anyway.
Ended up having to climb out the boot  :D  :D

Funny - I do tha every day with trucks  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Typical aint it, no parts.
Or rather, they had the switches and fitted em and promptly burnt them out before they realised it was the wiring loom that was faulty.
They replaced the wiring loom (?) but now they've run out of switches Image
At least the window is up and I can drive it again without having a mountaineering expedition in the garage each night  :D

Vorsprung durch still busted
UBT - PiezPiedPy

I'm sayin nothin :?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I'm sayin nothin :?
So hows the wiring loom work then Pie?
Is it not 1 complete loom for everything or does the door loom plug into the main loom or summat? :scratch:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Usual is a Main loom behind the dash with a separate plug in loom for each door, boot and engine bay.
Door looms are usualy made up of separate looms one for say windows another for door locks and sometimes one for door mirrors but they will be bound into a single piece to pass from door to Main harness through the A post.
Each separete circuit in the looms are fed from a fuse box and protected with fuses, there are banks of fuses in the fuse box, with each bank having a different feed, one bank will be a constant supply, one from the ACC (first turn of your car keys) and one from the IGN (second turn of keys), all this is fed from the battery through a single large fuse (MAXI Fuse) in the engine bay close to the battery.)

Slight mystery to how your loom is damaged, thats why you have fuses :?

If the switch had stuck closed or a short causing the motor to keep running the self resetting safty feature should of kicked in stopping the motor (try closing or opening a window and keep the button pushed in, you will here the motor stop after a few secs when the safty circuit cuts in.) even if the safety didnt work, all that should of happened is the fuse should have blown (maybe an over rated fuse has been fitted?).

Unlikely but the loom may have been caught somewhere causing a short between two separate circuits, this is where fires can start because a circuit with a small Amp rating can be fed by a circuit with a larger Amp rating. This type of short goes undetected until you get a problem further down the loom i.e a window motor shorts but instead of having, say a 15Amp fused supply it is now getting its own supply plus the supply that should be going to another circuit which could equal to any amount of Amps, these extra amps are then passed to the shorting motor through wire that is rated for just its own fused supply, but since its getting its own supply plus from another circuit it usually heats up like a filement on a kettle, glows, melts its protective coating and other wires around it which then allows the conducting parts of the surrounding wires to touch each other causing a bigger short circuit, more heat, then fire if the main loom fuse dosnt blow  :blob6:

Or instead of the motor shorting, the switches have, causing the sitches to melt instead of the wires or the wires in the motor.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Usual is a Main loom behind the dash with a separate plug in loom for each door, boot and engine bay.
Door looms are usualy made up of separate looms one for say windows another for door locks and sometimes one for door mirrors but they will be bound into a single piece to pass from door to Main harness through the A post.
Aha, must be that mini loom they've replaced then
Slight mystery to how your loom is damaged, thats why you have fuses :?
Thats what I thought
If the switch had stuck closed or a short causing the motor to keep running the self resetting safty feature should of kicked in stopping the motor (try closing or opening a window and keep the button pushed in, you will here the motor stop after a few secs when the safty circuit cuts in.) even if the safety didnt work, all that should of happened is the fuse should have blown (maybe an over rated fuse has been fitted?).
Thats sort of what happened, I went to put the window down an inch or so but it went all the way down and then the smoke started, so maybe the switch shorted AND the cutout failed.
Dunno why the fuse didn't blow, its got standard factory fitted fuses all round.
And both door switches failed at the same time (which for me, would point to the motor)

Guess I'll have to grill the engineer when it goes in again.

thanks mate
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Sounds more like the control relay  :wink:

Plus the wire in the loom seems to be underated for the factory fitted fuse (wire too thin - design fault). If you get a short and the fitted wire is underated then the wire melts instead of the fuse. :evil:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Guess Wot :?

Gets in my car today, open the windows, the passenger window goes down half way, makes a wierd frazzle noise and stops, grrrrrr  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

So I go to work to fix the window, get to work, put the car in, open the boot to get my work clothes, look down at a mod I did on the rear of the car and it's blown up like a balloon  :x , bloody expanding foam I used had carried on expanding all day in the sun :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :evil:  :x  :evil:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:bloody expanding foam I used had carried on expanding all day in the sun
I know what you mean, that stuff gets everywhere!!
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Sorry to hear about the continuing bad luck lads. Off-topic I know but here's a little expanding foam story to cheer you up that I got off a car BBS I used to frequent:

A friend of mine once built a canoe. He spent a long time on it and it was a work of art.

Almost the final phase was to fill both ends with polyureathane expanding foam.

He duly ordered the bits from Mr Glasplies (an excellent purveyor of all things fibreglass) and it arrived in two packs covered with appropriately dire warnings about expansion ratios and some very good notes on how to use it.

Unfortunately he had a degree, worse still two of them. One was in Chemistry, so the instructions got thrown away and the other in something mathematical because in a few minutes he was merrily calculating the volume of his craft to many decimal places and the guidelines got binned as well.

He propped the canoe up on one end, got a huge tin, carefully measured the calculated amounts of glop, mixed them and quickly poured the mixture in the end of the canoe (The two pack expands very rapidly).

I arrived as he was completing this and I looked in to see the end chamber over half full of something Cawdors Witches would have been proud of. Two thing occurred to me, one was the label which said in big letters "Caution - expansion ratio 50:1" (or something similar) and the other that the now empty tins said "approximately enough for 20 small craft."

Any comment was drowned out by a sea of yellow brown foam suddenly pouring out of the middle of the canoe and the end of the canoe bursting open. My friend screamed and leapt at his pride and joy which was knocked to the ground as he started trying to bale handfuls of this stuff out with his hands.

Knocking the craft over allowed the still liquid and not yet fully expanded foam to flow to the other end of the canoe where it expanded and shattered that end as well.

A few seconds later and we had a canoe with two exploded ends, a mountain of solid foam about 4ft high growing out of the middle, and a chemist firmly embedded up to his armpits in it.

At this stage he discovered the reaction was exothermic and his hands and arms were getting very hot indeed. Running about in small circles in a confined space while glued to the remains of a fairly large canoe proved ineffective so he resorted to screaming a bit instead.

Fortunately a Kukri was to hand so I attacked the foam around his hands with some enthusiasm. The process was hindered by the noise he was making and the fact he was trying to escape while still attached to the canoe.

Eventually I managed to hack out a lump of foam still including most of his arms and hands. Unfortunately my tears of laughter were not helping as they accelerated the foam setting.

Seeking medical help was obviously out of the question, the embarrassment of having to explain his occupation (Chief Research Chemist at a major petrochemical organisation) would simply never have been lived down. Several hours and much acrimony later we had removed sufficient foam (and much hair) to allow him to move again.

However he still looked something like a failed audition for Quasimodo with red burns on his arms and expanded blobs of foam sticking everywhere. My comment that the scalding simply made the hairs the foam was sticking to come out easier was not met with the enthusiasm I felt it deserved.

I forgot to add that in retrospect rather unwisely he had set out to do this deed in the hallway of his house (the only place he later explained with sufficient headroom for the canoe - achieved by poking it up the stairwell.

Having extricated him we now were faced with the problem of a canoe construction kit embedded in a still gurgling block of foam which was now irrevocably bonded to the hall and stairs carpet as well as several banister rails and quite a lot of wallpaper.

At this point his wife and her mother came back from shopping......

Oh yes - and he had been wearing the pullover Mum in law had knitted him for his birthday the week before.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Thats not fair you should gave a warning on a post like that.

It HURTS when ROFL for too long  :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:Sorry to hear about the continuing bad luck lads. Off-topic I know but here's a little expanding foam story to cheer you up that I got off a car BBS I used to frequent:
snip
Fantastic!!!
UBT - PiezPiedPy

LooooooL   says 50:1 on the tin I got, but I just guessed the size and threw it in, filled the boot up, and talking about sticking to hair - OWWWWW , put my head in a blob ov it and I've got a skin head, your in trouble if you've got long hair, plus its still stuck to my fingernails  :roll:

Gona use the stuff in a spray can next time
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Gona use the stuff in a spray can next time
haha, don't do what I did then.
It was one of them that you pull the whole nozzle backwards to make it work, used it a couple of times when I was installing patio doors and then the nozzle blocked.
So, there I am pushing the nozzle into the ground and using me feet to support it when.......
BANG!!
Super sticky expanding foam all over me boots, all over me trousers and all over me hands.
Sticks like the proverbial stuff to a blanket.
Its murder to get it off ya skin