Shutdown Day!?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Ben

Shutdown Day!?

Post by Ben »

I must say this surprised me a bit, but there is an event coming up called shutdown day!

http://www.shutdownday.org

So do you reckon you could survive 24 Hours without your computer on? I pray if you are reading this then a certain member of BUK might take part! :wink: I'll leave you guessing.

P.S - Thanks for the hobnobs, but i do prefer the cheese  :P
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I find things like this quite amusing! So what happens if we all shutdown our home computers for the day? We can all pat ourselves on the back and chat about it the next day (on our restarted computers, obviously!)

But what happens if we all shutdown our work computers? We will all be working twice as hard the day after to catch up with what we didn't do on 'Shutdown Day'!

Computers have become part of everyday working life. I, for one, wouldn't like to go back to the amount of paperwork we had prior to our company becoming 'computerised'.
   * The Shutdown Day website received more than 1.6 million visitors in the one month of the campaign.
   * More than 65,000 people participated in the campaign by actually shutting down their computers for 24 hours on the 24th of March, 2007.
   * Shutdown Day promotional clip was broadcast on YouTube and received more than 1.1 million hits.
   * 450,000 visitors signed up for country locator on Shutdown Day website.
   * The idea of Shutdown Day featured on more than 200,000 online forums discussions, and also in television interviews, and popular media, including Globe and Mail, CNN, Fox News and TV5.
A lot more than 24hrs worth of extra computing was done before last years 'Shutdown Day'!
:lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

I agree, but i think it is aimed at the home users rather then the buisness users? It would be almost impossible, and totally impracticle to not use them for buisness.

You can do it melter!  :wink: 24 hours of top quality films, beer binges, and take away pizza!  :lol:

And the aim of the project is to show what we could save, and show how much of a difference it could make if people were more inclined to shut their pc's down rather then leaving them on. Sorry fellow boinker's  :roll:
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

i could manage it, but my kids?????

NO WAY

like most of their generation, no pooter, no mobile phone, NO CHANCE :shock:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Ben wrote:You can do it melter!  :wink: 24 hours of top quality films, beer binges, and take away pizza!  :lol:
Damn! I might just survive! :lol:

You're right though, it is aimed at home computers rather than work. It just fascinates me how much computer time went into organising a 24hr shutdown! :D
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

lol... 7 votes of NO ..

Its pointless... where I work, Im constantly turning screens off ( the boxes apparantly 'have to stay on', cos of our crap network no doubt )..

So my 2 x home pc's being off is a drop in the ocean ..

Almost like saying to home users, save water .. then you see the dockyards with massive hoses of fresh water flooding out .. into the sea ..

I think your a spy Ben.. your always trying to covince us to shutdown LOL  :wink:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

the word not on (see i can't say it) is not in boinc speak  :)

so let the rest of the world turn there putters [not on]

but us boinc peeps will stay ON

b. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

fellie wrote:I think your a spy Ben.. your always trying to covince us to shutdown LOL  :wink:
Ahh, just when you thought ya knew me  :wink: Mwhaha

And as reguards the project yes i agree that it could be seen as a bit stupid, and a 'drop in the sea'.. However, if everyone pulls together maybe we can make a puddle? lol

Next thing i shall post about.. wind turbines?  :lol:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

With a bit of luck t'internet should be faster for the rest of us during the shut down :D
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Guess what i voted .......... :oops:
How about a day drinking red wine and not moving from your keyboard ?
Would save loads more energy not using the car, cooker and all that other white stuff in the kitchen ?
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Gets my vote .. although 10am is a little early even for me, might have a glass at 11 :)

Puddles Ben lol... I often make my own, don't you worry
:oops:

ROFL :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

fellie wrote:Gets my vote .. although 10am is a little early even for me, might have a glass at 11 :)

As someone once said, "Somewhere in the world, it's midday!" :occasion5:

When we were clearing her Dad's old house, the wife offered me his commode as a new computer chair..........I think she was joking! :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

fellie wrote:Gets my vote .. although 10am is a little early even for me, might have a glass at 11 :)

Fellie, havn't the wife and kids told you to stop dribbling on the keyboard??  :lol: