Laptop cooler

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
fellie
UBT Contributor

Laptop cooler

Post by fellie »

I know Purplepixii was after one of these ..

And after running the boinc-age over 3 days 24/7 on my new Dell laptop, the heat the wooden dining room table has absorbed is ridiculous lol..

So after a little research, I've ordered direct from Thermaltake, one of these .. http://thermaltech.co.uk/shop/thermalta ... p-138.html

£25 delivered.

Serves 2 purposes, angles the laptop to create an air gap / make the keyboard more like a home pc one with regards to angle, and the fans cool it :).

There are also heat pipe silent versions ... great theory, but don't laptops have heat spots in different places ?

Some of the Akasa gemini ones look good, but this T-T tai chi is made of aluminium, which, is also a good heat dissipator, and the Akasa plastic ones in theory won't do as good a job . Oh, and it folds for portability..

I shall report further when it arrives and has been tested :)
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I got one of those AKASA metal slabs for my laptop.
2 fans, but geez I could *ahem* cough more air onto it.
Great for using it on a desk, but err use it on your lap and owee!

My solution, laptop + cooler stuck in coldest room in the flat, along with 2 other pootas, all run nice and cool, and the polar bears that live in there, don't moan about the temperature as much ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Anyone give any recommendations on good CPU coolers for a desktop (quad core)?

I was taking a look recently but there are just so many i am lost as to which one actually does a good job since i would like to over clock a bit more without it going to BSOD.

Cheers
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Well looking at the Thermaltake one, I could add / replace the fans easily :D

Not sure about cooling a desktop quad with one of these Ben lol...

Id go for some heatpipe and silent fan affair personally :)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Ben wrote:Anyone give any recommendations on good CPU coolers for a desktop (quad core)?

I was taking a look recently but there are just so many i am lost as to which one actually does a good job since i would like to over clock a bit more without it going to BSOD.

Cheers

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro seems to get the best reviews for Quad and is only around £12 -£15.

Gary.
Ben

Post by Ben »

fellie wrote:Well looking at the Thermaltake one, I could add / replace the fans easily :D

Not sure about cooling a desktop quad with one of these Ben lol...

Id go for some heatpipe and silent fan affair personally :)

I'd have a job sticking those on the case fellie! lol  :lol:

Thanks froggie, i'll take a look at that on good ol' google.
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my Q6000.
When the system was working, idle temp was about 28'c and load temp was in the 40's. Room temp varied from 22'c to 26'c (but I like a warm room, outside heh I'm still not cold when it's -3'c, the time it was -20'c for a week pushed it a bit :P)

Seemed to work well, easy to fit (no need to remove mobo), quiet in use, even at full speed, it's design blows air around the cpu socket too, so the capacitors & is it's one of those stupid ASUS heatsink every darn where boards, they get cooled too.

If you buy the cooler new, it has Artic Cooling's AS-2 heatsink compound already on it, And it gets good reviews too, tis better than that POS conductive Artic Silver that all the "noobs" rant and rave about.
Artic Silver has had it's day.
Purplepixii

Post by Purplepixii »

awww sorry to hear that Fellie, but it's amazing how we were only talking about it the other night - how spooky!!!

(no, I didn't curse your lappy btw  :P )

This is the one I got: http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... ok-coolers

It's not in stock, so I gotta wait a week or so, but am looking forward to getting it  :)

Oh, while I think about it, the past 2 weeks my laptop fans have been a lot "busier" than before.  Funnily enough I installed BOINC around 2 weeks ago.  Coincidence.... :?:
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

thats no coincidence :)

I did look at those ones .. but wasnt gonna wait for stock to arrive :) ..

And in theory, the Thermaltake has fans / grille closer to where my laptop seems hottest :)

Let me know how you get on with it PP
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

well.. what a load of arse lol..

Pre cooler with boinc running, core temps at 62 /58

temps with laptop on the stand  61/58

temps with fans running 60/57

On the postitive side, its a stable base for the laptop to sit on whilst in use .
The angle it sits at is much more akin to a home pc keyboard than the flat surface on the laptop keyboard .

So er .. not really worth £25, but if I move the fans to the middle, the air will hit the hot part of the laptop ( ram panel )
Ben

Post by Ben »

You tried water cooling yet fellie? I hear it is a great way to cool a laptop, however the only draw back to this is that you must have a water proof laptop first  :lol:

fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

thatd be handy on hols :)

might water cool my home pc at some point.... quietness is good ... but how noisy are the water pumps ??
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Jaysback is yer man to ask about watercooling! :D

Photo's of his watercooled 'puter!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Some nice looking PC's there. If i had the money tree then I'd probably go and grab myself a 8800GT with a water cooler, and a CPU water cooler as well. But since i don't... looks like the good ol' air cooling will have to do  :(

50 degrees celsius when running all 4 cores max
Purplepixii

Post by Purplepixii »

Fellie what software are you using to monitor your temp?

My cooler arrived today.  Since it's been plugged in I haven't heard my laptop fans kick in once (normally I have the TV turned up a bit to drown them out!)  The cooler hums along very quietly and I've just held my hand at the rear of my laptop and the air is cool - earlier I think I coulda toasted a marshmallow on it!!    :lol:

Pixii
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mmm.. and why not? You could BOINC and eat some yummy marshmallows at the same time  :D
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Core temp 96.1 ...

leaves a little number per core with the icons bottom right of your screen ...

mine was at 70 the other day lol, power wire running across where the air is blown out .. oops .....

your cooller must be v good to stop the fans coming on, mine fire up at 40 ..