Christmas/December Crunchathon POLL

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Christmas/December Crunchathon POLL

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Edit: The poll has been created now - 7 projects were "suggested" in various comments...so pick ONE and we'll go with that, with the 2nd choice being the "back-up".

I suggest we start the Crunchathon this coming Friday 7th December....which gives us around 3½ weeks of crunching until New Years Eve :)

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Primegrid runs to hot for me as, for some reason, the CPU fan sticks at 2,500 rpm no matter what the temperature is!

If WCG wins are we gonna have another vote to see which sub project to do  :)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Primegrid runs to hot for me as, for some reason, the CPU fan sticks at 2,500 rpm no matter what the temperature is!

If WCG wins are we gonna have another vote to see which sub project to do  :)
Hi Mike

You could get a new fan that either goes a bit faster or which has the capability to move more air, simply by having a larger rotor area.....and new fans can be had quite cheaply...you shouldn't need to change the heatsink.

re: WCG
As all the sub projects are are grouped together towards any individuals WCG total credit, I don't see the need for a further vote...as ANY WCG credits will be counted.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK - so the poll is now over, and the winner by a short head is POEM, with the backup project of WCG....

So, the idea is to crunch as much as possible for POEM and if they run dry of WU's then to switch over the WCG.....

And we'll hopefully provide lots of credits from NOW, until the end of the year....

On your marks, get set.....CRUNCH !!!

regards
Tim