Scam warning

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Rick Horn

Scam warning

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

There is a new scam going around. A card is put in your mail box purporting to be from PDS, a delivery service, who tried to deliver a package to you.

There is a 09 number on the card which you are supposed to ring to get instructions about the delivery, but there is no package. The call is routed to Belize, and the call will cost you over £300 pounds.

Be warned!
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Unfortunately the "scam" is passing on the message which seems to have been given a whole new lease of life this year, even some "official" channels are promoting it. (Last year North Yorks police fell for it)

"Scam" details

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html

If you want to check a premium number use this checker

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/f ... ublic.aspx

This was what they put out last year

Postal scam chain email 2010 – PhonepayPlus’ statement
17 November 2010

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

•PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:
•The chain email refers to a service (operating on 0906 6611911) that was shut down by PhonepayPlus (then ICSTIS) in December 2005.
PhonepayPlus subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.
•The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.
•You do NOT need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost five years ago.
•If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.  
•If you receive a delivery card through your letterbox which you do not believe is genuine and which asks you to dial a premium rate number, you can contact PhonepayPlus on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) for further guidance.
•Please go to our FAQ for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence.
•For more detailed information about PhonepayPlus’ work, please visit www.phonepayplus.org.uk.
UBT - Rick Horn

Thanks for clearing that one up Mark. I got conned too.  :oops:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Thanks for clearing that one up Mark. I got conned too.  :oops:
I fell for one that was doing the rounds many years ago,  a friend sends an e-mail saying they have been informed they have passed on a computer virus and you need to delete a file from your computer and pass the e-mail on to everyone in your address book---numpty deleted the file :oops:  which fortunately didn't matter, then decided to check the e-mail out before passing it on and discovered it was a scam. Since then I always check these before and not after doing anything.

I knew the parcel one as I had seen it last year on another forum and I know it is already doing the rounds of our local council offices this year.
UBT - Rick Horn

It was my dozy brother-in-law who sent me the e-mail, and I fell for it too.
I should have known better at my age!  :roll:
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

There is a simple "rule of thumb" that can be applied to this stuff ....

Is what's being suggested make any sense or more trustworthy if I was to be  stopped in the street by a total stranger who told me that .......

As 99.999% of us in 99.999% of such street encounters would be "moving right along", or wondering who made his "end of the world" sandwich board, or noting it for checking out later - so should the same litmus common sense test be applied to the internet delivered drivel.

Its the same drivel with the same motivations - just different delivery method  :lol:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Never thought of it that way---power of t'internet.