Version 6.6.36

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Version 6.6.36

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just installed this. Big difference in temperatures. I noticed the fan speeds dropped right off. CPU temperature dropped 6 degrees, GPU dropped 7 degrees - it's almost quiet in here!
CPU performance has dropped a bit to around 88% from 100% - this is with 2 Aqua (CPU), 1 DistrRGen, 1 GPUGrid.

CPU performance goes up to 97% and temperatures go back up again once the GPU WU is suspended and Aqua WU is restarted - back being noisy again :-(
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Tried this but I've had to downgrade to 6.6.31.

I kept getting "Message from server: (won't finish in time) BOINC runs 63.7% of time, computation enabled 100.0% of that" on FreeHal despite the fact that Boinc runs 100% of the time and FreeHal takes virtually no CPU resource.

Apparently, it's something to do with Boinc averaging the time needed for all WUs currently downloaded and figuring out whether any work should be downloaded. Since each FreeHal WU takes 35 minutes, it seems to think that all cores are being fully used during that time.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I got that message when I was running an Aqua wu. I suspended that wu and got normal d/loads until I reactivated it! :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Same worked for me (suspending WUs) but I don't think it's Aqua related.

It doesn't matter which WUs I suspended, so long as BOINC thought I needed more work, obviously Aqua work best as they take multiple days! :D

Only happened on the one machine that I upgraded to 6.6.36, going back to 6.6.31, everything's alright.