Lookers and the #1 UK spot

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
Darren

Lookers and the #1 UK spot

Post by Darren »

Just looking at lookers stats and it looks like their top cruncher, Rickl, left on 27th August with 3,504,668
He then joined back up on 1st Sept with 3,538,960.

That is about 34,000 credits which is a pretty good toll for 4 days work.
The good news is that it looks like Lookers lost all that credit because he was not part of their team!  :lol:

The SETI website says there is plenty of work so anybody up for a SETI Crunch weekend this weekend?
Might be the last one we need before becoming #1 in the UK!
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Lookers and the #1 UK spot

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Dazza wrote:
The SETI website says there is plenty of work so anybody up for a SETI Crunch weekend this weekend?
A bit late for an 'official' weekend - I'm for it in though!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Dazza wrote: Crunch weekend this weekend?
tell me more about 'crunch w/end'

do we just turn all crunchers to doing sah from friday midnight till sunday midnight? is that the general idea?

because ime in for a bit of that :)

b.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

That's about the gist of it.

More detail of previous ones here

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:That's about the gist of it.

More detail of previous ones here
thank you sah!  

ime up for a wee bit o'that.... count me in   :D

b.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:The SETI website says there is plenty of work so anybody up for a SETI Crunch weekend this weekend?

Sounds like a good 'un.

Of course whether it's official or unofficial, anybody can crunch for any project at any time.

But by having a dedicated Crunch for specific projects we hope to "hone in" on a specific ranking spot - or to give help to a project that is languishing a bit and needs some UBT TLC.

From a Team standpoint, it was said previously that having already had 2 Crunches dedicated to SETI this year, it would be a bit unfair to have yet another one in 2006......but if some people want to get together and do a Crunch, then why not....?

After all, we've done most of the other projects that needed help (and assuming plenty of work units were available).

But we've got 325,000 credits to go before we catch up and pass Lookers....that's a lot of crunching to do.....and I'm having an educated guess that it'll take more than just a week-end to do it.....

regards

Tim
Darren

Post by Darren »

Ah, I did not mean one crunch weekend and we would pass but one good weekend and we would not need another one because we would pass them before the next one came along!

When I wrote it we were due to pass about the 25th October.

It's a bit later than that now so maybe we need to set a goal of SETI UK#1 before November 5th?
That way we get to have fireworks to celebrate!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:Ah, I did not mean one crunch weekend and we would pass
No worries - didn't think you did !! 8)

Dazza wrote: but one good weekend and we would not need another one because we would pass them before the next one came along!

When I wrote it we were due to pass about the 25th October.

It's a bit later than that now so maybe we need to set a goal of SETI UK#1 before November 5th?
That way we get to have fireworks to celebrate!

Like other projects, seems our "competitive edge" causes other teams to "up the ante" and make bigger efforts to thwart our progress.

And from a purely BOINC point of view, that's great.....as it means more science is being done.

OTOH: Our team membership is still building nicely, so as long as we can continue to attract new members into our way of thnking/doing etc, then we WILL get past - sometimes quickly, other times, it'll take a little longer.

regards

Tim
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Hey all,

I'm gonna do a seti crunch until we get #1 spot :D well once i clear the backlog which should be finished tonight. Hopefully will be able to put a dent in that target :)

Simon
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Simon wrote:Hey all,

I'm gonna do a seti crunch until we get #1 spot :D well once i clear the backlog which should be finished tonight. Hopefully will be able to put a dent in that target :)

Simon
I'm with you! Just got rid of the last non-SETI WU's and am now doing this exclusively.

I noticed I was about to drop out of the top 100 so I thought I'd better make an effort!

Image Image

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

UBT - Simon wrote:Hey all,

Simon
Bah! Just tried to attach to add a few extra credits and the project's down at the moment. Will try later.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:
Bah! Just tried to attach to add a few extra credits and the project's down at the moment. Will try later.
Server outage day :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Every Tuesday around 17:00 UTC  we will have a short outage to back up our database. The data servers and most web pages are offline during this time. The outage lasts 3-4 hours, and then there is a long period of "catch up" afterwards as the servers are swamped with backlogged requests.

Image Image

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

In now. Bit of a shock to see that the PC that used to take an hour or two to do a WU now needs 12!  :shock:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:In now. Bit of a shock to see that the PC that used to take an hour or two to do a WU now needs 12!  :shock:
Don't forget that you have not done any work in a while, so BOINC over estimates the to completion time, after a few WU's it will adjust to a better estimate
James Box

Post by James Box »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:In now. Bit of a shock to see that the PC that used to take an hour or two to do a WU now needs 12!  :shock:
Yeah, I'm thinking that my old P-III 450 server is not upto doing the SETI Enhanced WUs... at least until it gets a processor upgrade.
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Ah, thanks for that.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:Ah, thanks for that.
Mine started off high but they soon drop lower
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: Mine started off high but they soon drop lower
Glad to hear it LOL!
James Box

Post by James Box »

The last 2 WUs on my server took 32 hours each for 60 credits...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

James Box wrote:The last 2 WUs on my server took 32 hours each for 60 credits...
My laptop is not much faster at 498MHz!

WU's vary hugely in size - on the laptop I just got a couple at 6 hours and the last one just downloaded at 38 hours! Been doing them for a couple of weeks now and the times are about right!

Image Image