New sections on our Forum

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

New sections on our Forum

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just like to do a straw-poll - nothing too serious.

Basically would like some feedback from forum members with regards to adding some extra categories, which are not neccessarily BOINC related, in order to improve the overall "feel" of the forum, which so far, has served a very useful purpose, but which of course is limited to BOINC, the projects and some other computing-type categories.

So, need perhaps a few suggestions from the membership and then perhaps we can create new sections for those that have the greatest appeal.

So, to start this off - sections that possibly *might* be added:

- Automotive (Cars, Vans and things that move)
- Consumer Electronics: (Hi-Fi, AV and TV kit and the stuff one plays on them, including music, DVD's, Sky movies, etc)
- Life and all it's foibles
- Family/Genealogy
- Gardening
- First Aid
- Collectables (Stamps, Butterflies, Dinosaur Eggs)

Any other suggestions?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

- Family/Genealogy
- Gardening
- First Aid
Not sure if this is the right forum for the above - definately 'off topic!'

Could do with a 'fun' section to put things like 'person above you' game, 'word associations', jokes (what happened to Jackie BTW?), 'last person to post wins'.

A proper 'welcome new members' section - (with some-one to volunteer) + maybe 'new members 'say hello' here?'

New/Beta projects section - (I volunteer Halifax--lad for that - don't know where he gets his info from but he always seems to be first in there!)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

- Family/Genealogy
- Gardening
- First Aid
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Not sure if this is the right forum for the above - definately 'off topic!'!)
Well, maybe not, but all I could think of at the time, as well as making sure that people understand that anything could be regarded as suitable - just down to what members might like...!

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Could do with a 'fun' section to put things like 'person above you' game, 'word associations', jokes (what happened to Jackie BTW?), 'last person to post wins'.

Was told that Jackie's PC (laptop) crashed and she was hoping to get it fixed. That was a month or so ago...! Haven't heard back from her since - I think Simon keeps in touch with her outside of the forum.
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:A proper 'welcome new members' section - (with some-one to volunteer) + maybe 'new members 'say hello' here?'

New/Beta projects section - (I volunteer Halifax--lad for that - don't know where he gets his info from but he always seems to be first in there!)
These are quite useful idea's. Any seconders?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

ke the idea of having our own little online pub area where we can talk endlessly about our obsessions, share funny observations or just set the worl to rights :)

having looked at the forums on others sites this site has the topics and contributions i like best - avoiding too many intrusive rules :cheers:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:(what happened to Jackie BTW?), 'last person to post wins'
Computer problems
I'm jacked into the Net did you not know :!:  Had a week of need to find out whats new
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't think we need any other sections to do with BOINC or the projects at the moment plenty of them for now.

Also probably don't need any other type sections to deal with additional topics as we already have a generalised section for that, got to remember were a BOINC team so thats the main aspect and I think the other sections serve us all fine
binlala

Post by binlala »

don't know if its been suggested... or if it even excists I can't find it...

what about a Sales thread ? where all uk based.. and probably all have the odds and sods of pc bits to sell ??
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Team Cafe bit works for me
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Team Cafe bit works for me
Team Cafe bit works for everything not already catered for  :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

As Predictor@home has closed for now, could it be moved to the "Other Bio/Medical Projects" area.
The other Main (not beta etc) Bio Project is WCG, could this take the place of
Predictor as a project with its own area.  As a team we neglect WCG and I think it deserves better.
Last week we slipped 5 places in rankings down to 119 place with an RAC in 154th place. Yesterday 421 credits  :oops:
And - this is after scuba uk joining the team - 86 credits if those were his.
As a team we should hang our heads in shame.

A move to the front rank of projects could boost our score (it can't get any lower can it?)
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - JohnR wrote:As Predictor@home has closed for now, could it be moved to the "Other Bio/Medical Projects" area.
The other Main (not beta etc) Bio Project is WCG, could this take the place of Predictor as a project with its own area.
Easiest way is for Tim to rename the Predictor topic & description to World Community Grid and just move the predictor threads out into the subforums & the WCG topics out of the subforum and into the new topic for WCG.

I think that is the best bet so then its just a case of moving the threads and there are not that many so wouldn't take too long.

I would move the threads but I can't rename the topic so it would look confusing for a while until its renamed
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

That's the kind of action I was hoping could happen  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - JohnR wrote:That's the kind of action I was hoping could happen  :D
Yup thats easy enough for Tim to do when he appears, just a case of swapping over the messages
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Thanks Tim

Another reason why we are the best UK team - you and the other admins etc.
who help you with this site and the other stats and signature sites.    :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Thanks Tim

Another reason why we are the best UK team - you and the other admins etc.
who help you with this site and the other stats and signature sites.    :D

Hi John,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Fact is: What I try to do, as well as others who help here is to LISTEN and if something make simple, plain, straight forward sense, then why not do as suggested?

After all, this isn't a dictatorship - it's a Team....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:After all, this isn't a dictatorship - it's a Team....!
Best put away my Hitler suit & wig  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Best put away my Hitler suit & wig  :lol:

And don't forget about taking off the false moustache - you'd look very, very silly if you left that in place.... 8)

regards

Tim