HOWTO: Change to an Optimised project application (Windows)

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

HOWTO: Change to an Optimised project application (Windows)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Here's a run through for Windows:

So far only SETI and Einstein have third-party developed optimised application programs for their specific projects.

There are a couple available - for more info see our Team website here:

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-optimised.html

Admin note: The above page hasn't been updated for a long time and so it may be out of date by now (April 2014)

Step One:
Identify the CPU inside your computer. This is IMPORTANT, as in most cases, you will need a specific opti-program that matches the hardware you are using as some opti programs have been developed to take advantage of specific hardware parts of your CPU - hence you need the right opti-program for your specific type (or "family") of CPU.

A good program to use is CPU-Z - download (free) from here:
http://www.cpuid.com

Once you know what's inside your computer case and which "hardware functions" are built in, then you can move onto Step Two.

Step Two:
As mentioned, some programmers have built specific code into their opti-program to take advantage of CPU functions.

So, you need to look out for specific functions such as "SSE", "SSE2" and even "SSE3" within the "display" of the CPU-Z program and then download the specific opti-application which matches the hardware you have.

Download this file (usually it's a "ZIP" file) into a temporary folder on your PC.

Once downloaded, unZIP it and then read any readme notes that you may find.

Step Three:
STOP BOINC. Use the "File > Exit" command and close it.

Under most circumstances, it's wise before you install the new program to make a back-up of either your entire PC, or at the minimum, do a back-up of your BOINC directory.

If anything goes wrong (unlikely, but there is a small chance), then you can at least get it working again.

Step Four:
The next thing to do is to open Windows Explorer and copy the application files you've just un ZIPPED, from the temporary directory, into the respective "project" folder.

- If you downloaded a SETI opti-program, copy it to the "Program Files\Boinc\projects\setiathome.berekley.edu" folder.

Step Five:
Re-start BOINC.

Your already downloaded WU's shouldn't be affected by any of the above, and you should now find that you return WU's more quickly.

In some cases, the opti-program disables the "Show Graphics" function on the "Work" tab. This is normal, as in most most cases, the graphics just use up "crunching power" which can be utilised better if directed to just the crunching part of the program.

regards

Tim

PS This is a "work in progress" any comments, please PM them to me.
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Tony

Post by UBT - Tony »

I have downloaded the file to check my pc.
Will the climate change programme be using this facility in the future?
Cheers
Tony
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Tony wrote:I have downloaded the file to check my pc.
Will the climate change programme be using this facility in the future?
Cheers
Tony
Hi Tony,

It boils down to whether anyone has got hold of the source code and has run enough simulations to establish ways of cutting out the CPU-wasting routines and to concentrate on the WU-completion routines.

And with long-period WU's, I guess it might take a while for someone to work through the simulations.

(Obviously, it's easier with short-period WU's, as you can easily figure out the "time-consuming" parts of the crunching and optimise them accordingly).

So, for now, I guess the short answer is going to be "not yet".

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

The answer for any CPDN WU's is no they will not have any kind of optimised client, the source code is not available for people to play with, also the code is pretty much optimised as it is, any more and the WU's just wouldn't do what the project want them to do