Another new version available

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Another new version available

Post by UBT - Mikee »

As above.

5.9.12 is available as a BETA version - use at your own risk etc.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

You can now set your preferences via this rather than going to a project site (Advanced > preferences)

First 2 screens have also had a little makeover making it easier to see when you have lots of projects and progress indicator has also been tarted up!

Had a bit of a problem with the optimised SETI client (said there were duplicate versions so I've just renamed it for now as I'm not doing any SETI it doesn't matter to me!)

Have fun.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Timby

Post by Timby »

If anyone is interested V5.10.4 is available and seems quite stable, I have 3 systems running it with no problems as of yet!!

Boinc 5.10.5

Just checked the link and its now at 5.10.5
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:...Boinc 5.10.5

Just checked the link and its now at 5.10.5
Yowsa.....lot's of nice "fixes" in 5.10.5.... 8)

Projects/Tasks tabs:
Sortable by either: projects/account/teams/work done/avg work time/resource/progress

Resource share (under the Projects tab) and Progress (under Tasks tab), both now show a background colour, to indicate graphically the amount of share/progress on each line....neat !

Not sure about the alternate background row colour though.

Statistics tab:
Selectable project "statistics graphs"

And great new "local preferences" settings (without having to go to each project account and change them...although usually, you only need change one project and then BOINC auto-updates all the projects "in the background"!). Would like to see the ability to change resource share locally, rather than via each of the projects themselves.

Nice work guys...

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

DAMN....those blasted BOINC dev's....

I had a big issue with BOINC and SciLINC, so thinking it might be a corrupt install of 5.10.5 (which was running fine until SciLINC messed it all up), so I went to the BOINC download site and there was 5.10.6

Great I thought - downloaded, installed it and WHAT !!!!

All the nice functions in 5.10.5 have gone....no sorting by columns....no nice "grey" highlight on selected projects.

OK - so the selectable statistics graphs are still there as are the local preferences....:wink:  :wink:

But please bring back the sorting !!

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

DAMN....those blasted BOINC dev's....

I had a big issue with BOINC and SciLINC, so thinking it might be a corrupt install of 5.10.5 (which was running fine until SciLINC messed it all up), so I went to the BOINC download site and there was 5.10.6

Great I thought - downloaded, installed it and WHAT !!!!

All the nice functions in 5.10.5 have gone....no sorting by columns....no nice "grey" highlight on selected projects.

OK - so the selectable statistics graphs are still there as are the local preferences....:wink:  :wink:

But please bring back the sorting !!

regards,

Tim
I installed 5.10.6 on one system yesterday Tim, and I've got all the features you've listed as missing so maybe you had an iffy install?

Feature full frog
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:I installed 5.10.6 on one system yesterday Tim, and I've got all the features you've listed as missing so maybe you had an iffy install?

Feature full frog
Hmmmm.....that's interesting !

Either SciLINC has messed something up....or maybe 5.10.6 has the features, but it's not been enabled somehow....

Very strange.

I assume we're not talking apples and oranges here - I've got the Windows 5.10.6 version....

And I haven't yet found the "changelog" as to why they came out with a replacement for 5.10.5 yet...!

Anyone know the differences on this new version? (coz I'm about to watch the Quali for the US Grand Prix !!).

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Hmmmm.....that's interesting !

Either SciLINC has messed something up....or maybe 5.10.6 has the features, but it's not been enabled somehow....

Very strange.

I assume we're not talking apples and oranges here - I've got the Windows 5.10.6 version....

And I haven't yet found the "changelog" as to why they came out with a replacement for 5.10.5 yet...!

Anyone know the differences on this new version? (coz I'm about to watch the Quali for the US Grand Prix !!).

regards,

Tim
Yup, Windows 5.10.6 here.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Seems to be changing by the day, I was just going to download 5.10.6 to the rest of my systems and it's now 5.10.7 :shock:

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Boinc Manager version 5.10.7 is now the latest official release!!

Boinc
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Running 5. 10. 7 no problems so far. 8)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Just installing 5.10.7, hope all goes well! :D  :D
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Have you noticed that Pirates are now saying tat in 280 days you must be running 5.10.12?
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

UBT - Timbo wrote: All the nice functions in 5.10.5 have gone....no sorting by columns....no nice "grey" highlight on selected projects.
Whilst looking at something else I discovered what causes this. In order to get the new grid features to work the accessible view option on the view menu must NOT be ticked.

Has anyone noticed that 5.10.x is no longer the preferred client for Win32 or Linux/x86?  Seems to have reverted to 5.8.16.  

Had a try at using 5.10.12 and the installer totally screwed up. No client software left on the machine post install! I've had to go back to 5.8.16 on the test box but that wasn't easy. Couldn't overlay an earlier version, installer just wanted to repair or remove and then crashed out saying it had been prematurely halted. Had to resort to control panel/addRemove programs to sort things out and use regclean then a fresh install.

Has anyone got a 5.10.7 installer they can let me have as I quite liked it once I got used to it.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:.....
Has anyone got a 5.10.7 installer they can let me have as I quite liked it once I got used to it.
Hi Rod,

Check your forum inbox for a link to the old version.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I would not recommend 5.10.7 if you`re using Windows Vista
whilst running windows defender on it.
If your rig re-boots itself, BOINC Manager will not re-install automatically.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I would not recommend 5.10.7 if you`re using Windows Vista
Yeah I had noted that. Was using 5.10.7 on an XP box. (And am again thanks to Timbo)

There also seem to be some prob;ems with 5,10.x and the Hydrogen project as well.
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I would not recommend 5.10.7 if you`re using Windows Vista
Anyone know if it's being planed by the BOINC team to fix this? Very annoying no warning on the BOINC website about it :(
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

5.10.13 is now the recommended version

Image Image

RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

UBT - Mikee wrote:5.10.13 is now the recommended version
Not quite!

5.10.13 recommeded for Win98, Win2K, WinXP64
5.10.7  recommended MacOSX
5.8.16   recommended Win95, WinXP, Linux/x86

Nothing recommended Win Vista. (Personally, I use 5.10.7 as a sevice on Vista, BoincMgr requires a couple of extra securty screens to fire up but then no probs, also use 5.10.7 on XP as service on one box and fired up thru BoincMgr on another)

Isn't life simple!!!!!!!
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

I blame Bill Gates :P M$ is so Paranoid about security they probably caused more problems then its worth ;) little box saying 'Do you want to continue' dosnt really help most ppl will just click 'Yes' and wonder why they still get the viruses
Timby

Post by Timby »

I see that the latest version is now 5.10.20 for windows, still not fixed the problem with Vista though!!!
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Timby wrote:I see that the latest version is now 5.10.20 for windows, still not fixed the problem with Vista though!!!
I've been running this version on my single CPU 'puter (XP Home) for about a week now with absolutely no problems whatsoever! :D  :D

I love the 'Grid View' setting and the ability to sort your projects using various headers (ie: progress %, CPU usage, time to completion etc)
UBT - The Prof....

New recommended version out  5.10.28

Been running it for a few days now with no problems (so far... :!: )
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:New recommended version out  5.10.28

Been running it for a few days now with no problems (so far... :!: )
Do you happen to know if they have solved the problem with Windows Vista on this version?

Rick.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Works on the Linux Systems quite well, much better looking GUI
Timby

Post by Timby »

don't know if any one has noticed but 5.10.30 is now available to try?
UBT - The Prof....

Timby wrote:don't know if any one has noticed but 5.10.30 is now available to try?
Been running this for over a week, no problems so far.  :)
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Timby wrote:don't know if any one has noticed but 5.10.30 is now available to try?
been very stable with me for the last few days...

b. :D
UBT - The Prof....

Version 6.2.1 now available use at own risk so far, but seems ok on my pooter.  :)
Timby

Post by Timby »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Version 6.2.1 now available use at own risk so far, but seems ok on my pooter.  :)
Not so happy on my poota, all Milkyway work units not recording the time taken so I got all zero's on that but get the normal credits. ??

EDIT

Just did a restart and it looks like its working fine now Doh !!
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Just got v6.2.1, all seems OK.........for now! :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

The link in the first post is no longer valid - it goes to the current versions now.

I had a bit of trouble finding the all versions, alphas and betas but it's here if anyone wants a play....

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D

6.3.? versions are the PS3Grid variations and are really, really beta!

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

That's why I've gone back to v6.2.19, as some of the beta versions were a little flaky and I don't need them for PS3 Grid :D