BT

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

BT

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi all, i don't know about anyone else but i'm p!$$*d off with my isp BT.
Thier promise on total broardband is that you will never loose your connection yet twice this morning mine has dropped out :!:
Phoned them and all you get is a bloody auto svs and if you do get to talk to someone "without any raceism meant" i can't hardly understand what they say.
Now they are trying to say that either my pc/router isnt configered properly or and this is even better there is some kind of interferance ie microwave oven etc causing my conection loss.
My computer can connect to three doors down from my house on a lets say not very well protected wireless hub, yet my own hub is less than 4 feet away and i get dropped conection as above.
There is no microwave anywhere near to cause this and ive only had the problem since i moved to my new address and switched to so called total broardband.
Do any of you have this with BT?

Very Angry :twisted:  :twisted:

Terry
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

My Tiscali line use to drop out all the time. I fixed it by having my email program poll the server every 4 minutes to check for new emails.  If I left it at 5 minutes it dropped in the last minute all the time.  I thought it was because Tiscali sent out USB modems and I used a router. Now into my 3rd week waiting to change to Sky  :cry:
Expected start date 24th Feb from the 1st Feb.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: BT

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Terry Caney wrote:Hi all, i don't know about anyone else but i'm p!$$*d off with my isp BT.
Thier promise on total broardband is that you will never loose your connection yet twice this morning mine has dropped out :!:
Phoned them and all you get is a ruddy auto svs and if you do get to talk to someone "without any raceism meant" i can't hardly understand what they say.
........Terry
Hi Terry

Can you answer me a question?

Do you know at what time your ADSL connection fails....?

Reason is this. Since around June last year, sporadically, at 3am my ADSL connection fails....sometimes, it's OK for a few days and then maybe for 3 or 4 consecutive days I get disconnected.

Sometimes it re-connects automatically. Other times, I have to call my ISP (who is a BT Wholesale reseller) to refresh the "stale session" on my local exchange in order for me to re-connect manually.

So, given you're quite local to me (Cambs) it would be interesting to see if you get the same issue....

Likewise anyone else who loses (for no apparent reason) their ADSL connection in the wee small hours, please let me know.

regards

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi Tim
No it's just happened again bout 8 mins ago b4 that @ bout 11.00 b4 that bout 9.30 just got off phone again and told them ive had enough there is only from what i can tell 1 exchange main one anyway for whole of P Boro perhaps this is why or the fact my outside telegraph poll and line are about 100 yrs and 20 yrs old not good enough me thinks
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Terry Caney wrote:Hi Tim
No it's just happened again bout 8 mins ago b4 that @ bout 11.00 b4 that bout 9.30 just got off phone again and told them ive had enough there is only from what i can tell 1 exchange main one anyway for whole of P Boro perhaps this is why or the fact my outside telegraph poll and line are about 100 yrs and 20 yrs old not good enough me thinks
Hi Terry

Check here to see which exchange you are on...

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php

Also - what make/model of router are you using?

regards

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Already used that link i'm on EMPETER or something like that .
My router is BT Voyager 2091
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Terry Caney wrote:Already used that link i'm on MPETER or something like that .
My router is BT Voyeger 2091
Hi Terry

OK - EMPETER is your one.

So, you can easily switch to Tiscali or Bulldog as they are LLU providers (otherwise, anyone else you choose is just a reseller of the BT Wholesale system which you already have...!).

Bulldog has a v. good reputation, so you can try them.

Also. CPW / TalkTalk will be on your exchange soon, but no date set yet - they do some good "package deals" for voice/ADSL etc, so you could ditch BT altogether...!

There also seems to be a load of these routers on ebay - due no doubt to people being unhappy with them? Seems the routers are "locked-in" to BT, but the firmware can be edited to remove this.

regards

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Thanks Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Don't forget Virgin Media, they may be available in your area on the BT line :wink:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Don't forget Virgin Media, they may be available in your area on the BT line :wink:
Hi David,

Quite true...but if Terry's having problems with the BT ADSL "backbone", it doesn't matter if he's on BT Total Broadband, Virgin or anybody else.

But if he was on a LLU provider, maybe his problem would go away....?

And besides, he might not want to give BT (or any part of it) any more money for their abysmal service....

(And I don't think he's in a cable area, else I'd have suggested Virgin !)

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:(And I don't think he's in a cable area, else I'd have suggested Virgin !)

regards

Tim
Don't need to be in a cabled area for Broadband :wink:
Gary

Post by Gary »

And I was thinking of switching to BT total broadband option 3,  anyone had any experience with Virgin or Supanet ?
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Gary wrote:And I was thinking of switching to BT total broadband option 3,  anyone had any experience with Virgin or Supanet ?
All i'll say is don't go with BT ok @ slower speeds but in my area it's c%$p
on higher speeds

Terry
UBT - Halifax-lad

Gary wrote:And I was thinking of switching to BT total broadband option 3,  anyone had any experience with Virgin or Supanet ?
Virgin is good on cable, my guess is they will provide the same kind of service on a BT line as cable, but obviously they are limited to the BT network's capabilities
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
Virgin is good on cable, my guess is they will provide the same kind of service on a BT line as cable, but obviously they are limited to the BT network's capabilities
Unfortunately theres no cable services here, generally I've never had a problem with the line just occasionally with my isp (firenet), I had an extra line put in and need to switch internet to this, since my isp will charge connection fees etc., I may as well change isp but which one ? always seem to find reasons not to sign up ! speed issues, customer service etc.
Terry wrote:All i'll say is don't go with BT ok @ slower speeds but in my area it's c%$p on higher speeds
I used to be with bt openworld dial-up which was pretty good until they teamed up with yahoo !
UBT - Halifax-lad

No problem cable not needed just use the BT line won't be as good as the fibre optic network but good enough, take a look at Virgin Medias website for prices, will have to enter your postcode i think
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I have had virgin broadband on a BT line for years with no problems same with their mobile phone service.  Had NTL cable for tv (now it's virgin media) for a while and they were a total nightmare, they are hoping rebranding as Virgin media will improve their reputation :lol:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

They do free anti virus stuff as well for up to 3 machines depending on the package you have :lol:
Last edited by UBT-mark3346 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

They do free anti virus stuff as well for up 3 machines depending on the package you have
was looking at the unlimited up to 8 meg + wireless router

The Virgin site is a bit slow at the mo, so I'll take a look later.

Terry - sorry I butted in on your thread :oops:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Gary wrote:
They do free anti virus stuff as well for up 3 machines depending on the package you have
was looking at the unlimited up to 8 meg + wireless router

The Virgin site is a bit slow at the mo, so I'll take a look later.

Terry - sorry I butted in on your thread :oops:

Yup does seem to be going a bit slow at moment, not usually this slow :roll: Taking me a while to look at the stuff I want

PS: PCGuard can be used on a unlimited amount of PC's or least I can use it in that way don't know about non-cable users though, might be limited for Virgin people through a BT line :?:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I have BT's Broadband top option, had some problems with speed issues, but has been working perfectly for ages now. And is faster than Wanadoo and doesn't disconnect (Wanadoo did)
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi all check this out this is what my isp speed test says i'm running at.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
   DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6144 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 265 kbps

Bit different to the graphic mmm  :?  :roll:
Timby

Post by Timby »

I also have the BT Package option 2 I think, its been ultra reliable and as you can see from the router stats dosnt drop out at all, well not to my knowledge, Up and Down stream are pretty good although the exchange is at the other end of the village!

UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

They're slowly getting better
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:I also have the BT Package option 2 I think, its been ultra reliable and as you can see from the router stats dosnt drop out at all, well not to my knowledge, Up and Down stream are pretty good although the exchange is at the other end of the village!
Jeez, I'm lucky if:
- my router doesn't disconnect at least once in the early morning, EVERY morning
- I get more than 7dB of noise margin
- I get less than 60dB of line attenuation

My connection speed is a lowly 512k, but I've got around 360k upstream.

And all because I'm just a bit too far from the exchange !

regards (jealously)

Tim
Papa

Post by Papa »

8)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Papa wrote:Image

8)
THAT is just downright ridiculous......!

regards (gonna sell up and go to UCL immediately)

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Papa wrote:Image

8)
Now if their machines are as fast as their connection and you can get get Boinc running them.....the world is ours.  :lol:

(well UK number 1 anyway)
Papa

Post by Papa »

I'm trying to, slowly
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

It's like an inter-uni speed challenge  :lol:

Not quite as fast  :evil:

though it's quite different to my results I got here yesterday, I wonder how high it would be at 4am when it doesn't have thousands of users  8)
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

Terry Caney wrote:Hi all, i don't know about anyone else but i'm p!$$*d off with my isp BT.
   Terry
Not just you. I have to deal with them daily at work and the only things we can reliably get from them are broken promises.

Have you tried changing channel on your wireless link? IIRC as well as microwaves DECT phones use the same frequency as wireless. It's also possible that there's another wireless router nearby on the same frequency but with a hidden SSID.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:
   Terry
Not just you. I have to deal with them daily at work and the only things we can reliably get from them are broken promises.

Have you tried changing channel on your wireless link? IIRC as well as microwaves DECT phones use the same frequency as wireless. It's also possible that there's another wireless router nearby on the same frequency but with a hidden SSID.
Hi ya good question n dunno there are a lot of wireless users in my area,
and i can connect to 1 that is unprotected 4 doors down with better speed than mine but tend not to use it as it is unsecure.

Terry
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi all ,
Talking of isp problems did anyone see Watchdog last night?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_ra ... rvey.shtml
This link was set up by them coz of the constant problems people are having with there isp's.
Please feel free to have a whinge...

Terry
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi all after spending about 4 hours in all on the phone to BT they have finally admitted there is a problem with my line, it is unable to take BBmax and it's max is 2.5 meg as well as a further problem @ the exchange.
It took for me to get anywhere to threaten to go with another service and guess what hey presto...
Ok not the fastest but getting refund and have had to downgrade back to 2meg package  :roll:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

That's quite similar to mine, do you live in a village?

What is the 2meg option? As far as I can see Options 1, 2 and 3 all all up to 8meg