Memory Questions

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
DJH@GB-Ro

Memory Questions

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I have a couple of questions regarding memory. I don't need to know how to install it as I've done it several times :D.

1) What is better 4x256, 2x512 or 1x1024? Or doesn't it really make much difference? I ask because I could buy another 2x256's and get 1gb for cheaper than getting rid of my 256's and buying 2x512 or 1x1024.

2) How much difference does memory make to the performance of BOINC tasks?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi DJ:

Answer to #2 is easy: get as much as you can - the more the merrier esp. for "BIG" projects such as "Attribution" for which the admins of the project specify 1 Gb as the minimum - 512k will work, but your Windows paging file gets a bit big, which slows everything else down.

Answer to #1 is tricky. Some mobo's are happier with 2 sticks of bigger memory compared to 4 sticks of smaller capacity.

Also, there seems to be a difference between certain brands/types of memory (Crucial seems to make a big ploy on this).

And there's also some electrical differences between some sticks related to their "Latency" (some are 2.5, some larger sticks are 3.0).

Ultimately, I would just get more of what you can afford - as more memory of any type will help more than the fine difference between 2 of one type and 4 of another.

HTH,

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Thanks Timbo :D

Also, I just thought of something else, what about bus speed? because my current memory is 400Mhz, but my computer is compatible with 533Mhz.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DJHunter wrote:Thanks Timbo :D

Also, I just thought of something else, what about bus speed? because my current memory is 400Mhz, but my computer is compatible with 533Mhz.
Hi DJ,

Well, like all things, the higher something is, the faster it goes...!

So, in the case of memory, if your mobo supports the higher 533MHz speed (which I think relates to PC4200), then it's wise to use it.

But then it depends on the processor - if the CPU FSB is 400Mhz, then getting 533MHz memory won't really speed things up for now (although it should work on a 400MHz mobo for now).

But 533MHz memory would be useful on your "next" mobo, if you plan to upgrade at some point.

The thing to always consider is to plan ahead. If a faster "part" can be used now (but at a slower speed), then whenever you upgrade (to something faster) then some parts can be re-used.

Obviously, this assumes that the parts physically fit. Some memory upgrades on the market now might not be backwardly compatible with older mobo's.

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

The Processor FSB is 800MHz.

My current memory is 400MHz. What I think I will do is order 2x512 @ 533MHz as I can add these as a pair along with the 2x256 to get 1536 total. It'll only run at 400MHz but in the future I can replace the 2x256 to perhaps 2x512 again to make use of the 533MHz speed @ 2GB. However, I'm not in a great rush for the speed as finances will not allow it!

Thanks for your help Timbo :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

try this place great value & great service too, used them for ages never had a problem

CCL
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I'll probably be using offtek as I used them the previous times, and very good they are too!
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

also note that the higher speed (mhz) also has higher latencies.
eg most half decent pc3200 (ddr400) will do cas2, but the faster the mhz go the higher the cas becomes.
check out this site.
they give the speeds the ram runs at and also the timings.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html