Heads-up - Teams catching up with us.

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Heads-up - Teams catching up with us.

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just a quick "heads-up" on our Overall team ranking.

As things stand right now, we're slowly pulling in Hungary, but I should warn you:

AMD Users have increased their RAC and are trying to catch up. They are about 600k behind us, so hopefully with a few more members joining us, we can keep our place.

And coming up very quick is: Einstein@UWM, with a RAC of around 235k per day (and who yesterday contributed 500k credits to their total). They currently are in 59th place and have 15.7 million credits, so in a few weeks, they'll be past us (and many others).

But it's not all gloom and despondency - we're still at #34 in the rankings for Average RAC, so we're still out-crediting many teams ahead of us - it's just that they have a head start on us and we need to play catch up.

Personally, I ever so glad we even made it into the Top 50 of the World. And given we have a chance to get into the Top 40 (and maybe even higher?) then we've already achieved a lot.

Can we do even better?

That's down to us to build the Team up. More members and more crunching power will all help to put us into a very strong position to help as many BOINC projects as possible.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

since Einstein started sending me bigger WUs (about 3 times the size of those before) my RAC has declined a bit but have a few pending.

The answer is easy though - more crunchers crunching harder :idea1:  :lol:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I think that Einstein@UWM have just passed us  :cry:
looking at the BOINCstats team page.  But we should hold our team place of 44 because we are probably in the process of passing LittleWhiteDog later today or early tomorrow  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Heads-up - Teams catching up with us.

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all, Just a quick "heads-up" on our Overall team ranking. As things stand right now, we're slowly pulling in Hungary, but I should warn you:

AMD Users have increased their RAC and are trying to catch up. They are about 600k behind us, so hopefully with a few more members joining us, we can keep our place.

OK people - it's time that we started turning up the wick....in order to retain our World ranking position !

"AMD Users" are now just 300,000 credits behind us and are crunching around 20,000 credits more per day. So, in about 2 weeks, they'll pass us !!

So, if you have ANY spare capacity, or can spare a few extra hours crunching per day (or even on a 24/7 basis, if perhaps you are only crunching say 9-5) then ANY extra help would be greatly appreciated.

Every little helps  :D

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Time to pull in a few new members or even start auto-emailing people who have not returned a result on BOINC with-in 30days.

Wouldn't think that would be too complicated to do may just be time consuming to do in the 1st place, but well worth it in the end. Could have a new e-mail to be sent out monthly so that the same e-mail is not sent out asking people to start up BOINC again, could be like a mini-newsletter on why BOINC is great
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Time to pull in a few new members or even start auto-emailing people who have not returned a result on BOINC with-in 30days.

Wouldn't think that would be too complicated to do may just be time consuming to do in the 1st place, but well worth it in the end. Could have a new e-mail to be sent out monthly so that the same e-mail is not sent out asking people to start up BOINC again, could be like a mini-newsletter on why BOINC is great

Well, with the Mega-Mini starting sometime v. soon, then there's every chance that I can put togther something and ping all the Team members an email with a "Call to Action"....!

And with Rosetta being the recipient of the Crunch, then we might get a few crunching again....! On the other hand, what with summer hols etc, then many emails may well be ignored or just not read !

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

don't forget to mention CASP in the email and provide a link to it all info can be found on Rosetta
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

BAD NEWS
AMD Users gained a new member yesterday with Climate and BBC credits.
They had 163,500 credits yesterday in BOINCstats and are only 100,000 credits behind.
  :shock:  :cry:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thought AMD had taken the hump and were trying to overtake us again!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... 5B%5D=2910

Then realised it was the BBC realignment thing - still a huge 300,000 gain for them! At least it won't happen again!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_gr ... r=cce&id=3
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

BUMP !!

AMD Users are now within a stones throw of passing us.

It's possible that we cannot do much about this, except to re-iterate to members to try and do as much science as possible..... 8)

The future is looking more promising though. IF "AMD Users" get past, we are still generating enough science to overcome "Portugal@home", as well the next two or three placed teams, such as "Hewlett-Packard", "US-Distributed" and "BOINC.BE".

And looking further forward, we should be able to pass "Amateur Radio Operators", "The Final Front Ear", "BOINC@Denmark" and "SwissTeam.Net" in due course.

So, in summary then:

AMD Users may well pass us soon.

But we should be passing the other 8 teams mentioned over the course of the next say 3-6 months (assuming current RAC is maintained or even increased - we need to better these other teams by around 40,000 credits per day and the current gap is approx 6 million). We can make up this DIFFERENCE in around 150 days time, assuming we continue at around 90,000 credits per day.

I KNOW how you all like a challenge, so, let's aim HIGH and we could be in a much higher world ranking position by EDIT: the end of December - that's just 3½ months or 110 days away !!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
I KNOW how you all like a challenge, so, let's aim HIGH and we could be in a much higher world ranking position by Christmas - that's just 3½ months or 104 days away !!

regards

Tim
I was gonna kick the first person to mention Christmas in September - but I'd need VEEERRY long legs to get you!

Image Image

Martle

Post by Martle »

I've got all my trained hamsters operating the wheels 24/7.

I'm sure that I read somewhere on these boards that WCG doesn't return as many points in comparison to other projects. At the mo I've got 3 machines crunching WCG and 1 crunching BBC. What if was to have a rest from WCG for a while and turn say 2 machines to other projects, would it help to further the cause?  :?:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I don't like running WCG because, in my experiance anyway, the credits are lower. May not be much lower but as I'm a credit hog that's what swings it for me!

I'm sure 'some-one' will say "it's the science that matters - not how much credit you get". But, as we're in a competitive mood at the moment, we need all the credits we can get!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:I was gonna kick the first person to mention Christmas in September - but I'd need VEEERRY long legs to get you!
OK - Consider it edited - now says "end of December" :oops:

regards,

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Hi Tim

I tried to send you an email tonight but it bounced twice, can you email another address than founder@

Thanks
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Jeez - talk about close!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... 5B%5D=2910

It seems just as we open the gap between us and AMD then they close it again! Still we are closing on Portugal steadily.

Image Image