Help Please

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Help Please

Post by UBT - Terry »

Been in pm chat with froggi and he said one of you may know why i'm having this come up while trying to install Ubuntu on my 64bit amd system
keeps just saying.
Kernel alive
kernal direct mapping tables upto 100000000@ 8000-d000

Terry
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello Terry,

Are you installing wubi or from a live cd ?

If from a live cd I can help you get it installed.

or search the ubuntu forums for kernel alive.

Gary
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:Hello Terry,

Are you installing wubi or from a live cd ?

If from a live cd I can help you get it installed.

or search the ubuntu forums for kernel alive.

Gary

For some reason everybody seems to think they should have the latest version of everything that comes out.
As I explained to Terry, Ubuntu 7.04 is still very new and just like Windows is going to be full of bugs.
Because Linux for the most part is maintained by a community of volunteers drivers for a lot of hardware have to be written specifically for Linux, though many hardware manufacturers are starting to come onboard with Linux.
For this reason, Linux tends to have less problems with older hardware.

My advice to anyone is (as Timby found on one of his systems) to download and install Ubuntu 6.10 as this has been stable for some time and is fully supported by the community.

Ubuntu 7.04 has many improvements but very few will have any effect on you running Boinc if this is your sole reason for installing Linux.

Should you still want to run 7.04 then first fully update 6.10 with up to date patches and update all default installed software (this is easily done via synaptic download manager).

Once this is done you can update Ubuntu itself and hopefully should have far less problems.

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Burning 6.10 as i type...
Thanks to Gary aka Linux Frog  :lol:

Terry
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Ok tried installing and get [46.078966] Kernal panic - not syncing:IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Try using the 'noapic' kernal parameter [46.078995]

What does that mean ????
Confused :cry:

Edit: running the memtest at the mo then try in safe graphics mode???

Terry
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Nope still same message ??

Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Terry wrote:Ok tried installing and get [46.078966] Kernal panic - not syncing:IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Try using the 'noapic' kernal parameter [46.078995]

What does that mean ????
Confused :cry:

Edit: running the memtest at the mo then try in safe graphics mode???

Terry
Ok, just back from the hopital, so give me an hour or so and I'll see if I can fathom this out.

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Thanks Gary i'm afaid from what i could tell my mobo won't run linux at this time i may be wrong good chance but have managed to get copy of xp and thats up and running.

Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Terry wrote:Thanks Gary i'm afaid from what i could tell my mobo won't run linux at this time i may be wrong good chance but have managed to get copy of xp and thats up and running.

Terry

Couple of questions Terry, does you mobo have built Wifi and are you connecting via Wifi or ethernet?

Also, if you have now installed Windows, give Wubi a try.

Sorry my heads not clear yet so I may be a little slow in responding.

Edit, just a quick thought now you're back with Mr Gates, make sure you check for updates of all drivers and Bios, see if that helps

Gary.
Last edited by Rockinfroggi on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Terry, you should be able to get it running, from what I can see it appears to need a modification to a command line in the boot up script?
There are a few reports of this bug which also seems to relate to out of date BIOS firmware?

Gary will probably tell you more cos he is the expert, I just bumble along and things just seem to work for me?
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Yeah xp up and running and will try Wubi asap have seen the reports gonna try and update the bios
Cheers all espesh Linux Frog cheers mate.

Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Timby wrote:Hi Terry, you should be able to get it running, from what I can see it appears to need a modification to a command line in the boot up script?
There are a few reports of this bug which also seems to relate to out of date BIOS firmware?

Gary will probably tell you more cos he is the expert, I just bumble along and things just seem to work for me?

You are right up to a point Mark, but it's safer to try to establish which piece of hardware is causing the error, as it could be a number of things.

At first I thought it might be a Wifi problem, but 7.04 should have sorted a lot of the past problems with this.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Terry,

When you get time and if you feel up to it, pop the live CD in and boot to it.

when the install menu comes up stop it booting from the countdown by pressing the down arrow.

go back up to the live cd install option and then press the F6 key.

This should give you a text string under the menu, at the end of this sting type, irqpoll pci=noacpi noapic nolapic acpi=off be sure to add spaces where shown.

See if this allows the Live CD to boot, if it does then it should install, or if you want to leave the install for now just reboot back into Windows, but it would be worth checking if this will run the Live CD.

let me know if you try it.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Here is a link to the known bugs in Ubuntu, well some any ways

Ubuntu Bugs
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Can i get an opinion on this please before i buy it the misses don't like the new PC psu too too noisy and i like Temujin think the one i have isn't man enough for the job thanks.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... HYP-4M530+

Terry
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Terry wrote:Can i get an opinion on this please before i buy it the misses don't like the new PC psu too too noisy and i like Temujin think the one i have isn't man enough for the job thanks.

Terry
Terry

I have the Hiper type R 580 watt its a good psu, I bought an Antec psu to go with my Antec case unfortunately its faulty & is being replaced this week.

point is I'll be selling the hiper so if you or anyone else is interested let me know.

also have a mobo & chip going.
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Terry wrote:Can i get an opinion on this please before i buy it the misses don't like the new PC psu too too noisy and i like Temujin think the one i have isn't man enough for the job thanks.

Terry
If you do decide to buy the psu get it from Here sign up to google checkout and get a tenner off :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Terry

I can't comment personally as I've never read any test results on that model.
It does seem to have good reviews on novatech but the only thing that would put me off is the price as it's a little too close to generic prices.

There are plenty of good midrange PSU's out there for a little bit more money, and I could recommend a few, but at the end of the day it's down to your preference and budget but I would advise googling that model and see if you can find any independent test results as a few people saying it's great doesn't mean it's efficient. Most will just be happy that it's running their hardware without having a clue how much power it's having to draw in to give the stated Wattage.

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi Gary i'm gonna buy Gary2's psu and if i can afford it his mobo and chip so all sorted he gave me a link to check the psu seems ok and gotta be better than this thing ive got :lol:

Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Glad you're sorted Terry, but of coarse you never explored the cheapest option which would have been my first choice.

Buy the wife some bloomin cotton wool :roll:

Trouble maker.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I did sugest it but the thing is she is already half deaf seriously so she gave me one of those looks if you catch my drift.

Terry