computer problem

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Rick Horn

computer problem

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I`ve recently got a new computer. It`s an intel dual core 6600 running Windows Vista, but only on a recent boot-up, I noticed that only one core was active. Can anyone halp to rectifiy the problem?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Not sure if your BIOS would have a setting to enable 2 cores like hyper threading, unlikely but it's a thought, but the main reason could be your Boinc settings, check that your main prefs are set for more than 1 CPU.

Gary.
UBT - Rick Horn

Rockinfroggi wrote:Not sure if your BIOS would have a setting to enable 2 cores like hyper threading, unlikely but it's a thought, but the main reason could be your Boinc settings, check that your main prefs are set for more than 1 CPU.

Gary.
Thanks for helping Gary, but it was working fine this morning, and I`m only running one project on it at the moment (Einstein).
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Just a thought Rick, have you looked in Device Manager of Windows to see if it is showing 2 CPU's? that will at least narrow it down as to whether it's a windows or Bios problem or a Boinc problem.

Gary.
UBT - Rick Horn

Rockinfroggi wrote:Just a thought Rick, have you looked in Device Manager of Windows to see if it is showing 2 CPU's? that will at least narrow it down as to whether it's a windows or Bios problem or a Boinc problem.

Gary.
I looked in device manager and it just says 2. Don`t know if it means 2core or 2 enabled cores, but it`s running 2 WUs at the same time, so maybe both cores are enabled after all.

Congratulations once again on your UotD, and thank you for your help.

Regards, Rick.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Just a thought Rick, have you looked in Device Manager of Windows to see if it is showing 2 CPU's? that will at least narrow it down as to whether it's a windows or Bios problem or a Boinc problem.

Gary.
I looked in device manager and it just says 2. Don`t know if it means 2core or 2 enabled cores, but it`s running 2 WUs at the same time, so maybe both cores are enabled after all.

Congratulations once again on your UotD, and thank you for your help.

Regards, Rick.
Yup, if you have 2 WUs running at the same time then all is well so happy crunching on your new rig  :)

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Rick, I use a "Gadget" on the right hand side of the screen to monitor the CPU and memory useage, you could try that as it shows both cores http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail. ... 7bd66ca5af
UBT - Rick Horn

Thanks for the tip Timby, I`m still finding my way  around Vista but wanted to make sure that BOINC was up and running.

Everything seems OK and I`m going through WUs like there`s no tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Kindest regards,
Rick.