Desparately need ideas

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Desparately need ideas

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Well, I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a bit of a problem and I'm hoping the assembled might of the UBT thinking cap might be able to help me.

I have a Renault Megane (I know, I deserve all the problems I get) and it has two keys which can operate the central door locking and disable the immobiliser. Unfortunately, one of the keys has 'lost sync' with the car and now no longer works. The manual says to take it to the Renault dealer and they can reprogramme it. I went to the Renault dealer and he said it would take about 1 hour and the cost would be (wait for it) ...

...£72 + change! I didn't hear the pence bit because the sound of my jaw hitting the floor drowned it out.  I told them to take a long walk off a short pier. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

As far as I can see, I'm in a dark place without adequate means of propulsion unless someone here has any bright ideas? Is it possible to get these keys resynched or reprogrammed?

Anyone got any bright ideas? I'll even accept not-so-bright ideas as well.

Chris.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi Chris
it might be worth giving PiezPiedPy a PM, he certainly knows mucho about cars
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

This site may provide help or advice
http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=3044
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Desparately need ideas

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:As far as I can see, I'm in a dark place without adequate means of propulsion unless someone here has any bright ideas? Is it possible to get these keys resynched or reprogrammed?
Anyone got any bright ideas? I'll even accept not-so-bright ideas as well.
Chris.
Are you an AA / RAC member? - maybe they can help? (Use the "the key fell into a puddle, shorted out and now doesn't work" scenario).

The AA had the contract for all "under warranty" Renault's for a while - not sure if they still have the contract, but one of their drivers might be "helpful"....?

Otherwise, assuming that Renault do not want all their customers cars to be nicked, I would think that the £72 might in the end be worth paying up - as high a charge as it might be (and as a testament to "rip-off Britain"), in the long term, it's probably a small price to pay compared to the hassle of not having two working keys.

Mind you, only one person can drive it at a time, so you could save the money, use the car as "normal" and when you sell it on, the new owner might be willing to pay the charge  :oops:

regards

Tim
UBT - Chris Suddick

Thanks for all the ideas chaps. Certainly one or two I hadn't thought of. I also remembered some more generic advice that someone gave for another problem somewhere in this BB which was "Google is your friend". Sure enough, I find my problem is far from uncommon and there are people who can cut and programme these keys for around £30. It's still a steep price for a key but better than the bare-faced robbery from the Renault dealership.

Once again, thanks.

Chris.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Chris, as far as I can recall when I owned a Laguna you had two keys, my mate who worked in a dealership said you should alternate your keys weekly or monthly as they operate on a incremental code I.E every time you operate the key fob that fob moves the ECU code on 1 digit? I thought he said it would only allow the two keys to be so far out of sink before it stops responding to the key you use the most? Have you tried the second key or has that become inop? I can have a word with my mate if your still stuck, can't say he will have a magic fix but might have a suggestion to offer?

Timby
Papa

Post by Papa »

I'm fairly sure they progam themselves.

Try holding the button down as you start the ignition with the manual key, I think that works on Citroens. Not sure about renaults but it's worth a shot.

Also you can buy replacements and instructions on eBay.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Give me the manufacture year and exact model and i'll look on AutoData for you, you should be able to reset your keys through a series of turning the ignition on and off a few times and pressing pedals  :? , But if its one of the newer ODB2 or CAN models you'll probably need to use a programer which I've not got coz they cost BigG's (i.e £20k for BMW looooool), I've only got a reader for diagnostics and clearing service flags.
UBT - Chris Suddick

A final update...

After a bit of help from PiezPiedPy with some button-pushing sequences, the second key still refuses to work. So, I've gone out and bought a new car and traded in the Megane so it will cease to be a problem after delivery. I did tell them that the key didn't work but they didn't care so why should I? I didn't but a new car just because of the key, I had been thinking about it anyway. It might have helped me make my mind up though.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and help,

Chris.
James Box

Post by James Box »

Hope you didn't get another Renault! ;)
UBT - Chris Suddick

James Box wrote:Hope you didn't get another Renault! ;)
You hope right!

It's a VW Golf Match this time.

Chris.