Dust ?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
fellie
UBT Contributor

Dust ?

Post by fellie »

Well, normally I vacuum my pc out once a month ..

I hadn't got round to it for 3 months, its on 24/7 'obviously', so I thought I'd best get it done today ..

Didn't look to bad initially, 10 minutes later, on of Mr Dysons finest was turned off...and the pc booted up

Reporting via rightmark, that its at 39 c instead of 46 whilst boincing the same 2 units ..

crikey  :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I don't monitor my 'puters temps, but I know from the fan speeds that it's operating a lot more efficiently after a good clean out. Someone also recommended using the aerosol compressed air while holding the vacuum 'tube' slightly above the mobo and various components, that way you get rid of more dust with less likelihood of accidental damage to your 'puter :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I recently had an old graphics card go noisy.
When I opened the machine up to investigate, the fan was absolutely caked in fur, a quick vacuum and it all went quiet again :roll:

Since then I've given all my machines a good vacuum and will do once a month from now on
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Oddly Melter.. I bought a can of said air in Asda just now for £5 :) .. thought I'd treat it to a proper blow :S, got a lot more dust out, especially from the power supply ( big fan draws case air in, grid out the back )

I've vacuumed pc's since I've used them and had no issues ( well.. I never opened the Amiga 500 up lol )  .. but will keep a can of air handy to now :)

edit : ooh.. it got a lot of dust out of the 24/7 laptop to . not opening it up tho :)
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

OMFG ...........

I need to do the laptop more often then ... -19 degrees C ...  :shock:

now at 60 instead of 79 lol...
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I took the heatsink (well the plastic cover) off the 8800GTX.
Took a bit of fiddling as some of those screws are tiny!

Removed a load of dust and cat fur (grr), from the thing and it now runs at 45'c idle, before it was running at 69'c idle and when I used ps3gid it ran at 83'c!

So a nice 24'c drop at idle temps, no idea about ps3grid as the darn workunits keep crashing under Linux & Windows when i use the thing :(

I do clean the rest of the pootas regularly, as having 3 cats, being a smoker, and it being quite a dusty building, leaving it for more than a few months ain't nice :(

I use Paint brushes, and those cheepo battery powered tooth brushes, and an ikkle battery powered vacuum cleaner, they do the job well :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Maybe i should give mine a hoover then  :lol:

No more lamb burgers if i did that though..  :shock:

***Edit***
In the end i got carried away and took the whole thing to bits!  :lol: Gave it a good clean and now all is shiny once more.  :) Tempreture still seem about the same afterwards though. Lamb burgers anyone?