Low CPU Usage Projects

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
smith639

Low CPU Usage Projects

Post by smith639 »

Hi, can any of our esteemed and sagacious established members suggest any projects  that are low on CPU usage, and unlikely to render the temperature thereof close to that of boiling point?

Ron
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

If its always connected to the internet, DEPspid could be one its an internet crawler, it will use some bandwidth though so if its not an unlimited connection you may find it may or may not get close to your capping point set by your internet provider

Xtremlab though has got to be the best low CPU intensive project out there

Edit: Plus we need extra people on Xtremlab :wink:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Re: Low CPU Usage Projects

Post by UBT - bobuk »

smith639 wrote:Hi, can any of our esteemed and sagacious established members suggest any projects  that are low on CPU usage, and unlikely to render the temperature thereof close to that of boiling point?

Ron
i see your NOT doing "PrimeGrid" :lol:
this project is not a high cpu user as far as i can tell my pc's are all running very cool even in this warm weather we are having atm...  and the wu's are nice and quick..

but there agin' i would say that seeing as ime  the cheer leader of said project...

give it a try    http://www.primegrid.com/

b. :D
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Gotcha!
I've been mini-crunching xtremlab on my own pc since last night (when I signed up and got 9,773,512 WUs to celebrate), and am looking for a project that will run on my daughter's laptop without turning it into a hotplate.
I have installed and am running SpeedFan just to monitor things, if it gets too intense I will have to detach and delete BOINC, as I am loth to damage her computer.

Ron
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well I know for sure Xtremlab should never up the temperature too much as it doesn't do that much complex calculations, can't say how other projects will cope on a laptop, guess it will be trial & error :roll:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well  can't say how other projects will cope on a laptop, guess it will be trial & error :roll:
one of mine is a lappy and runs cool doing primegrid..
but as a precaution i took the covers off the fan and battery and raised the it off the desk for good air movement around the base ..

b. :D
smith639

Post by smith639 »

I will prop it off the desk, but if I start to tinker with it and my daughter finds out she will be sore distressed.
There,now propped uo on a Maplin's catalogue (well worth having!) and the local phone book.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Surely just dropping the CPU usage in the project preferences would be another option, though both my laptops crunch away a 100% on all projects with the aid of laptop coolers.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Rockinfroggi wrote:Surely just dropping the CPU usage in the project preferences would be another option, though both my laptops crunch away a 100% on all projects with the aid of laptop coolers.

Gary.
Yes you can drop the usage, but it would be better I think to find a project that will work fine whilst using 100% CPU cyles, get credits in faster then :wink:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Surely just dropping the CPU usage in the project preferences would be another option, though both my laptops crunch away a 100% on all projects with the aid of laptop coolers.

Gary.
Yes you can drop the usage, but it would be better I think to find a project that will work fine whilst using 100% CPU cyles, get credits in faster then :wink:

Good point David, but the option is there should he ever want to run a more intensive project for a crunch or such like.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

I have a good idea, buy an old commercial truck fridge box and move in to that, keeps nice and cool all year round Image  Image

You could then use this sign on yer front gate Image
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Been cruching away on my VAIO without a cooler for about a year never had any probs with any projects over heating my machine