pc problem

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Gary 2

pc problem

Post by Gary 2 »

Hi guys its Gary (not the frogster), its all happening to me this week my pc decided not to boot this morning - ntoskrnl corrupt or missing something or other, I've had too set up an old pc to get online.

tried to repair windows but it went on the wrong partition :oops: so now I have 2 xp's installed is there any way to roll back the installation ? a reformat is last option as I had 9 sap wus, plus other stuff I need to keep.

Gary
Gary 2

pc prob

Post by Gary 2 »

ps I can't log in password stored on other pc
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: pc problem

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary 2 wrote:Hi guys its Gary (not the frogster), its all happening to me this week my pc decided not to boot this morning - ntoskrnl corrupt or missing something or other, I've had too set up an old pc to get online.

tried to repair windows but it went on the wrong partition :oops: so now I have 2 xp's installed is there any way to roll back the installation ? a reformat is last option as I had 9 sap wus, plus other stuff I need to keep.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Can't you use the original Win XP to "rescue" the original installation? (I haven't had to do this myself for a while, so I'm a little rusty on this....but when "WGA" infiltrated my PC, I had to go through this sort of procedure.)

Alternatively, a quick and easy fix is to buy a new HDD (you may need one anyway, if the old HDD is about to snuff it !), do a new, fresh install on there.

Then close down the machine, connect the old HDD, restart and then copy/import over the stuff you need from the old HDD, having made it a slave on the IDE connection and booting from the new drive.????

regards

Tim
Gary 2

pc prob

Post by Gary 2 »

On booting its giving the option of two windows xp

The first boots into the partition I accidently reinstalled on, a fresh copy with no sign of the data that was on there.

The second (original) won't boot because missing corrupt file \windows\sysyem32\config\system
which prompts to attempt a repair, on the repair console it asks which one to log & admin p/word ?

I have most data on an external h/drive although I not backed up for a while, no boinc :oops:

maybe its best to delete partitions and start again ?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary 2 wrote:Hi guys its Gary (not the frogster), its all happening to me this week my pc decided not to boot this morning - ntoskrnl corrupt or missing something or other, I've had too set up an old pc to get online.

Gary
When you say you went to the wrong partition do you mean you installed a second copy of windows on D, E, F or whatever drive as opposed to C:/?

Gary, (The Frogster)  :D
Gary 2

Post by Gary 2 »

Rockinfroggi wrote:

Gary
When you say you went to the wrong partition do you mean you installed a second copy of windows on D, E, F or whatever drive as opposed to C:/?

Gary, (The Frogster)  :D
Affirmative!
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

From your new installation of windows, do you not have access to the C:/ drive through explorer so that you could just copy files over for the time being to either backup or use? until you find a solution other than doing a re-format.

BTW, if you have not set up an admin password then just hit enter as no password will be required.

Gary.
Gary 2

pc prob

Post by Gary 2 »

won't boot into the new installation

Going to try reinstalling on C
Gary 2

pc prob

Post by Gary 2 »

Good news ! Success !

Looks like everything is in tact albeit in looking a bit odd.

Found - my documents folder, installed boinc all is good.

Many thanks for your help :D
Rockinfroggi

Re: pc prob

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary 2 wrote:Good news ! Success !

Looks like everything is in tact albeit in looking a bit odd.

Found - my documents folder, installed boinc all is good.

Many thanks for your help :D

Glad to hear you didn't have to lose everything, now make all those backups you keep promising yourself you're going to do.

Gary.