80 core CPU in 5 years

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Halifax-lad

80 core CPU in 5 years

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just imagine if/when this arrives

80 core CPU

Edit: Nice to see how technology is coming on I wonder if memory will move on at such a pace I guess it all will really.

Now dreaming of what a PC will be in 5 yrs time will it still exist? will it be something new?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: 80 core CPU in 5 years

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Just imagine if/when this arrives

80 core CPU

Edit: Nice to see how technology is coming on I wonder if memory will move on at such a pace I guess it all will really.

Now dreaming of what a PC will be in 5 yrs time will it still exist? will it be something new?
Hi David,

TBH: I never expected much CPU "progress" to be made following the speed route for too long - once you got fabrication down to tiny levels and with clock speeds reaching a maximum, there really was only one other way tyo go - multiple cores.

Then if each core is given specific tasks to run, then the advent of full parallel computing is not far away.

And then it's down to the OS to support all these cores. You can bet that MS is rubbing it's hands with glee, coz they can then program multiple versions (and prices!) of OS code to support:

base level - 2 cores
mid level - 8 cores (say)
business level - 16 cores (say)
enterprise level - you name it...!

And like NT/2000 before it, any NEW OS will only be licensed for the specific number of cores you want to pay to use....!

Hopefully, by then, Linux will have taken over, as that is bound to support as many cores as you like....!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: 80 core CPU in 5 years

Post by Jeffers »

UBT - Timbo wrote: base level - 2 cores
mid level - 8 cores (say)
business level - 16 cores (say)
enterprise level - you name it...!

And like NT/2000 before it, any NEW OS will only be licensed for the specific number of cores you want to pay to use....!

regards

Tim
The mainframe world is already like that. IBM market multi CPU systems where the hardware is relatively cheap, the big money comes from software licensing for the amount of processing power being used.
Gamma^Ray
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by Gamma^Ray »

It is amazing how fast technology is becoming, Multiple cores are obviously the next new wave,
But I wonder if in 5 years the new Tech will be more into the Nano side of things for cpu's as opposed to multiple cores?
I can' wait to see myself.  :D