Fastest supercomputer to be built

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Fastest supercomputer to be built

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Imagine if this joined our Team.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5322704.stm

The new machine will be able to achieve "petaflop speeds," said IBM. One petaflop is the equivalent of 1,000 trillion calculations per second.

Running at peak speed, it will be able to crunch through 1.6 thousand trillion calculations per second.
A bit faster than Temujin's overclocked ZX81 then !!

When Roadrunner is finished in 2008 it will cover 12,000 square feet (1,100 square metres) of floor space at Los Alamos National Laboratory

IBM says it will start shipping the new supercomputer later this year.
OK - so what will they use to deliver it then ??......12,000 square feet wouldn't fit on a truck easily...!

And now we know why the PS3 is delayed in Europe - IBM has bought all the "cell processors" to use for this damn thing....just so they can crunch more WU's than us I'll bet......!

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Re: Fastest supercomputer to be built

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:A bit faster than Temujin's overclocked ZX81 then !!
The ZX81 would give it a good race but yes, I'll concede that at peak performance, it'll just pip me  :D
bloody great thing aint it
might get a ps3 just for boinc
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

BOINC aint on the PS3 and probally won't be for a long time yet :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:BOINC aint on the PS3 and probally won't be for a long time yet :wink:
spoilsport  :(
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Someone has to be :lol:

If anything it would more than likely be an Xbox it comes out on 1st
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

In SAP
If you want a fast computer the try this one
http://attribution.cpdn.org//show_host_ ... stid=10529
something not quite right about the measured speeds but the sec/TS are very good.
A bit overclocked - this shows what the measured speed should be
http://attribution.cpdn.org//show_host_ ... stid=10706
only 1 core on SAP and also overclocked to about 3.1 from 2.4GHz.
The first machine would be great in Rosetta with no quorum. :shock:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Check mine out here with no overclocking  :wink:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Congratulations that is a very fast computer.
I thought the only way to get that kind of speed reported was to run an application like Crunch3r.  That produces fake results to go with an optimised client he produced for Seti that I think crunched 3 times faster than standard.  The Crunch3r application does not make the computer run faster, just the fake speed reported.  That makes the project program that does the work (not the Boinc shell) claim credit 3 times more than it has earned.  It should only be used with the original Crunch3r Seti optimised program. I think teams like Xtreme Systems used it to cheat Rosetti that did not check the claimed credit.  I think someone wrote that with Rosetti you could edit a file that was returned with the results and change the claimed credit from say 50 to 5000.
Without overclocking how did you get the speed.
If it is crunch3r I'll delete my post
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

got no optimized clients in , too much crying about cheating, its all down to the stupidly over-priced memory i've got plugged in CAS latency (2,5,5,5-1T) weeeeeeeee - memory runs hot on BBC though gets up to 70degrees C in the middle of a summer day  :oops: