Post S-Crunch New Task Issue

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT-Shaman

Post S-Crunch New Task Issue

Post by UBT-Shaman »

I signed up to SIMAP and crunched it for the S-Club Crunch. Nice. Did all right!

I then told the other projects to go back to work. I allowed them new tasks. I resumed those that were suspended. However, while Einstein and SIMAP went to work as normal, and Climate Predictor carried on working away at the behemoth of a WU I have here... SETI and Rosetta refuse to download new WUs. They're set to do so, there is plenty of disk space, and I have been right through the BOINC settings both online and remotely, but I cannot get new WUs to download.

I get the message (not requesting new work or reporting completed tasks)

Can someone enlighten me, as I certainly did not ask it to do this! Is this meant to happen?

Thanks!

Robin
x
Temujin

Re: Post S-Crunch New Task Issue

Post by Temujin »

its probably just gone into earliest deadline 1st mode.
Leave it a while (a day or 2) and it should sort itself out.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

It doesn't need any of those WU's at the moment so thats why your not getting any
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Post S-Crunch New Task Issue

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-Shaman wrote:I signed up to SIMAP and crunched it for the S-Club Crunch. Nice. Did all right!

I then told the other projects to go back to work. I allowed them new tasks. I resumed those that were suspended. However, while Einstein and SIMAP went to work as normal, and Climate Predictor carried on working away at the behemoth of a WU I have here... SETI and Rosetta refuse to download new WUs. They're set to do so, there is plenty of disk space, and I have been right through the BOINC settings both online and remotely, but I cannot get new WUs to download.

I get the message (not requesting new work or reporting completed tasks)

Can someone enlighten me, as I certainly did not ask it to do this! Is this meant to happen?

Thanks!

Robin
x

Hi Robin,

Well done on the Crunch and thanks for your efforts.

As far as your query goes: BOINC uses it's own algorithm to establish when it needs new work and hence sometimes, human expectations of what it should be doing are quite different to what it wants to do.

This is in place so that it doesn't automatically fill you up with work units which cannot be completed in time, based on your CPU speed and the "to completion" times of the work from each project.

In layman's terms:
Having crunched for SIMAP, it is probably expecting to crunch for them some more and hence is leaving "space" for them. The fact that you've told it you don't want to crunch SIMAP again for a while, takes it a while to then re-calibrate itself so it only downloads what you told it to do.

Give it a few days and it'll sort itself out. In the meantime, you're still crunching for BOINC....so it's not really harming anything... although I do understand the human desire for machines to do as they're told...and to crunch for all of your preferred projects !

regards,

Tim
UBT-Shaman

Post by UBT-Shaman »

Thanks, I suspected it might be something like this. BOINC decides what it wants regardless of what the humans tell it to do. Scary! Hope it doesn't become completely sentient and start downloading MP3s and suchlike...I have limited bandwidth!

R
x
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Rosetta went into a sulk for me for a day or so after the S club crunch too, but has since picked up again (and SIMAP has been forced to a bit of a back seat for a while, with mutterings about being overcommitted).  Everything will be back on an even keel soon!
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer