To Completion Query

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT-Shaman

To Completion Query

Post by UBT-Shaman »

I may be missing something here, but it seems odd to me.

Occasionally, my "To Completion" rate on a task seems to work logically, counting down the seconds to the closure of that task. However, almost all the time, the ticker is going UP and not down. I find it is counting up seconds, making the To Completion time longer, not shorter. However, the WU is being processed, and they complete and report back fine.

Anyone got any clue about this? It doesn't seem to be impeding my performance, but it does look very peculiar.

Robin
x
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Its normal just ignore it, you will find with some projects also that once it hits 100% it takes a few mins after that to finish processing whilst it finishes up writing its files
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: To Completion Query

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-Shaman wrote:I may be missing something here, but it seems odd to me.

Occasionally, my "To Completion" rate on a task seems to work logically, counting down the seconds to the closure of that task. However, almost all the time, the ticker is going UP and not down. I find it is counting up seconds, making the To Completion time longer, not shorter. However, the WU is being processed, and they complete and report back fine.

Anyone got any clue about this? It doesn't seem to be impeding my performance, but it does look very peculiar.

Robin
x

BOINC uses an algorithm to "guess" the "Tom completion" time, based on your benchmark results as well as the loading on the CPU. It also relates back to work units you've already completed. And some WU's require different "lengths" of processing time, in order to complete, which then throws this figure out.

As David says, don't worry about it (unless it gets unduly long, in which case it may be down to your PC doing extra processing (of other things) and hence reducing the cpu "power" available to BOINC).

regards,

Tim