Boinc Games Sprints 2024

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Boinc Games Sprints 2024

Post by wbiz »

The first Boinc Games Sprint of 2024 starts noon (UTC) on Saturday 10th February and lasts for three days.

For your credits to count you have to register and then validate on Boinc Games https://www.boincgames.com/blog/confirming-your-cpid/

12 hours after the end of this sprint the Ramanujam Valentine challenge starts.
wbiz

Re: Boinc Games Sprints 2024

Post by wbiz »

First sprint is Einstein
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:03 pm First sprint is Einstein
Thanks for posting this.

I've been taking part in the Tour de Primes Challenge on PrimeGrids website, but I'll switch to Einstein for this Sprint.

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:57 pm
wbiz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:03 pm First sprint is Einstein
Thanks for posting this.

I've been taking part in the Tour de Primes Challenge on PrimeGrids website, but I'll switch to Einstein for this Sprint.

regards
Tim
Great, holding on to 15th at the moment and a bit of insurance to stop us being overtaken will be good.

If you could throw in just one LHC task at some time (no hurry), that will get us off the duck and gain nearly 200 points for the marathon/overall-standing, I can't figure out this virtualbox stuff so can't get any LHC tasks.

I've got some other problems going on, one of the projects (I suspect Ramanujam) changed the host ID on one of my computers to the same as another computer which I'm trying to fix while keeping the sprint work going. I'll be bunkering Ramanujam as soon as this sprint finishes.

There appears to be Primegrid challenges nearly all year which I find weird. If it was less frequent I'd pop more effort in, I also don't like the way Primegrid stresses my machines, the temperatures get noticeably higher than any other project.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

If you want to track the teams stats on the 1st BOINC Games Sprint then take a look here:

Teams stats

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_details.php?id=16

Currently, UBT is in 15th position (out of 24), near to 14th place but a long way behind 13th place. :o

UBT Member stats:

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_users.php?id=16

"UBT - wbiz" is in 44th place

and "ANCHULA-MARK", "Stephen Hunter" and myself all appear to have ZERO points.

Sadly, in my case, despite allowing work from *all* the Einstein applications (excepting FGRPB1G), my BOINC Manager log says "No work available for the applications you have selected".

I wonder if the BG admins checked beforehand, that Einstein would have enough tasks available?

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:02 pm Sadly, in my case, despite allowing work from *all* the Einstein applications (excepting FGRPB1G), my BOINC Manager log says "No work available for the applications you have selected".
Hey Tim, you need to select Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) tasks. They aren't labeled as GPU tasks but they are. I think that's what everyone is running. If you already have them selected but aren't getting them I would make sure you have Nvidia drivers installed and not something MS gave you during a Windows update if your on Windows.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

wbiz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:53 amIf you could throw in just one LHC task at some time (no hurry), that will get us off the duck and gain nearly 200 points for the marathon/overall-standing, I can't figure out this virtualbox stuff so can't get any LHC tasks.
There were a bunch of Sixtrack tasks the other day. I think that's the only tasks that don't use Vbox. I got a bunch in the few hours they were available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 pm
wbiz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:53 amIf you could throw in just one LHC task at some time (no hurry), that will get us off the duck and gain nearly 200 points for the marathon/overall-standing, I can't figure out this virtualbox stuff so can't get any LHC tasks.
There were a bunch of Sixtrack tasks the other day. I think that's the only tasks that don't use Vbox. I got a bunch in the few hours they were available.
That's annoying, I normally have at least two computers waiting to pounce but I had everything switched to one project while I was trying things out.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:14 pm
UBT - Timbo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:02 pm Sadly, in my case, despite allowing work from *all* the Einstein applications (excepting FGRPB1G), my BOINC Manager log says "No work available for the applications you have selected".
Hey Tim, you need to select Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) tasks. They aren't labeled as GPU tasks buy they are. I think that's what everyone is running. If you already have them selected but aren't getting them I would make sure you have Nvidia drivers installed and not something MS gave you during a Windows update if your on Windows.
All the GPU tasks I'm getting on AMD are All Sky Gravitational Wave O3AS.

Getting all sorts on CPU.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

wbiz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:38 pmAll the GPU tasks I'm getting on AMD are All Sky Gravitational Wave O3AS.
Those are long running tasks aren't they? I only have Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) tasks selected in preferences and that's all I get. I think they're only GPU tasks though. On my slowest GPU, an RTX4070, they run about 6 minutes for 3,333 credits. I have a ton of CPDN tasks running on my CPUs which take forever to finish. Thankfully they have trickle up credits.
Last edited by ChelseaOilman on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:14 pm Hey Tim, you need to select Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) tasks. They aren't labeled as GPU tasks but they are. I think that's what everyone is running. If you already have them selected but aren't getting them I would make sure you have Nvidia drivers installed and not something MS gave you during a Windows update if your on Windows.
Hi Carl

Thanks for your advice. Hope you are well?

Sadly, and as I mentioned before, I have "allowed" all of the Einstein subprojects for both CPU and NVidia GPUs to be made available to me...and despite the Resource setting being at 100, I have received NO tasks. Zip, Nada, Zilch.

The NVidia driver is correctly installed as it has been happily crunching both Moo! and PrimeGrid GPU tasks over the last few days.

It just seems my host isn't getting anything from Einstein...and by now, it's too late to be messing around with it as the Sprint ends soon.

When I get a few minutes I'll try again as I'd liked to assist the Einstein project normally anyway.

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

The sprint ends at Noon (UTC), Tuesday 13th Feb.

Currently 14th in the sprint :dance:
Last edited by wbiz on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:34 am The sprint ends at Noon (UTC), Tuesday 13th Feb.
Ooops !! - I've corrected the O/P

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

First BG Sprint 2024 we have ended 14th.

We are doing a lot better in the Marathon than the Sprint so our overall standing at the moment is 10th.
FrostyDog
UBT Contributor

Post by FrostyDog »

wbiz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:17 pm First BG Sprint 2024 we have ended 14th.

We are doing a lot better in the Marathon than the Sprint so our overall standing at the moment is 10th.
Weirdly I had a whole bunch of jobs validate since midnight but I didn't seem to get any credit for them on games. But even when I check places like Free-DC are showing "0" for today for me. Not sure what I've done to break that!
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

FrostyDog wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 pm

Weirdly I had a whole bunch of jobs validate since midnight but I didn't seem to get any credit for them on games. But even when I check places like Free-DC are showing "0" for today for me. Not sure what I've done to break that!
Credits or points?

Credits are what Boinc projects award (with some confusion like World Community Grid that use a correction factor for historical reasons), points are based on your standing in the Challenge (Marathon or Sprint). Effectively your points only change when you overtake someone or some overtakes you.

For Marathons, some projects only export their stats once a day, its up to the project how frequently they do it, sprints should generally update once an hour. Sometimes exports are missed for one reason or another.
FrostyDog
UBT Contributor

Post by FrostyDog »

wbiz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:49 pm
FrostyDog wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 pm

Credits or points?

Credits are what Boinc projects award (with some confusion like World Community Grid that use a correction factor for historical reasons), points are based on your standing in the Challenge (Marathon or Sprint). Effectively your points only change when you overtake someone or some overtakes you.
I'm not sure now. Maybe I got mixed up between the two. Got a lot to learn about how all these points/credits work I think! I'll keep a closer eye on it next time to make sure it's all good. The BOINCGames team did say on their Discord that the final 12pm stats collection had failed and they were looking into it.

Thanks for the info :)