Boinc Games 2024

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Boinc Games 2024

Post by wbiz »

We finished 7th overall in Boinc Games 2023 which was an excellent result.

Currently 15th in Boinc Games 2024 prior to the sprints starting which is pretty good considering that not many, if any, members are targeting it.

Boinc Games is much more dependent on the marathon with the sprints only contributing around 5% of the overall score for many teams.

Only 4 members are contributing at the moment, you have to register with Boinc Games for your points/credits to count.

https://www.boincgames.com/standings.php
wbiz

Re: Boinc Games 2024

Post by wbiz »

Currently 10th overall in Boinc Games.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Battling between 9th and 10th place at the moment, waiting for MilkyWay to cure its bottleneck which should happen in the next two weeks.

Welcome Mikee to Boinc Games.

If UBT members that use Boinc register with Boinc Games, that will help us enormously with the marathon, no need to change your Boinc usage, just carry on as normal.

The registration validation method is a bit unusual but it works.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Welcome to Boinc Games @FrostyDog :dance:
FrostyDog
UBT Contributor

Post by FrostyDog »

Thanks! Seemed like a good way to keep things interesting.

Just a note, looks like Mike hasn't verified their CPID so we're missing out on their sweet credit :(

https://www.boincgames.com/team_members.php?id=24
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

FrostyDog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:52 am Thanks! Seemed like a good way to keep things interesting.

Just a note, looks like Mike hasn't verified their CPID so we're missing out on their sweet credit :(

I noticed Mikee switched to Einstein presumably for the sprint so it might be in the pipeline, I can understand people being wary of messing around with their username.

There isn't much chance of us gaining another position in this sprint but my target is to try to keep us in the top ten in the BG Overall Standings which your contribution is going to make much more likely.

Now it looks like Formula Boinc is going to come back online it will be interesting to see how I can juggle my priorities.
FrostyDog
UBT Contributor

Post by FrostyDog »

Do you know if jobs that are completed but not validated before the end of the sprint count? I've got a bunch of jobs already sitting there awaiting validation and suspect I'll have even more tomorrow that'll cross over the 12:00 deadline.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

FrostyDog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:31 pm Do you know if jobs that are completed but not validated before the end of the sprint count? I've got a bunch of jobs already sitting there awaiting validation and suspect I'll have even more tomorrow that'll cross over the 12:00 deadline.
I'm afraid not, they don't get points until they are validated, when the sprint ends its the existing points at the end of the sprint.

It is a pain with Einstein, sometimes I've had over half my points arrive after the end. It happens to some extent with some other projects as well.

But as @Timbo often points out, its a level playing field, its the same for all contestants.

There are some tricks that can alleviate getting paired up with a slow responder, if people on the same team agree to download a lot of tasks at the same exact time, there is a reasonable chance that they will be each other's validator - keep it in the family!

What also doesn't help is people over-buffering that eventually time-out days after the sprint or cancelling at the end of the sprint, if they are your validator its bad luck. I try not to buffer too much at the same time, Einstein sends the two tasks out at the same time, if all your tasks are locked to the same validator and and he's a slow responder, you lose the lot for the sprint.

I do buffer, normally 2.5 days for a 3 day sprint, this increases you chance of the validator finishing his task before the end.

Other projects don't necessarily work the same way.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

FrostyDog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:52 am Thanks! Seemed like a good way to keep things interesting.
Welcome to the UBT Forum FD !!

If you have any issues or questions, feel free to ask away, either on the forum or to me via PM.
FrostyDog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:52 amJust a note, looks like Mike hasn't verified their CPID so we're missing out on their sweet credit :(

I'm sure Mikee will sort it out, unless he has submitted this CPID and is waiting for BG to validate it?

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

UBT is currently 8th on the overall team standings of Boinc Games (BG) with 6 UBT members contributing.

If any UBT members sign up to Boinc Games their normal Boinc credits automatically count towards the BG marathon for the team.

https://www.boincgames.com/index.php
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

And now 7th :dance:
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Welcome to UBT Boinc Games @cduk
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:34 pm
I'm sure Mikee will sort it out, unless he has submitted this CPID and is waiting for BG to validate it?

regards
Tim
Hi

Not been concentrating so missed what I was supposed to do! Anyway, sorted now!

Currently doing Milkyway as it runs cool and I can utilise 12 cores at once, and Asteroids as that runs cool but having to manually get tasks sometimes so missing a bit there.

Not doing Primegrid as every version I try things used to get a bit hot and as the PC is in the living room Mrs. Mikee complains about the fan noise!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

wbiz

Post by wbiz »

We are down to 9th on BoincGames, I've been less than organised (= totally confuzzled) balancing FB & BG marathons plus sprints.

I might put a website up that tracks threats and opportunities for UBT's FormulaBoinc, I've been trying to do this with BoincGmes but their Ajax is overly complicated and way beyond my ken.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Nearly the end of Q1 on Boinc Games, we are currently 11th overall with little chance of upping to 10th, in fact we were close to becoming 12th so I have boosted a couple of the smaller projects.

Its getting a bit complicated trying balance off the two marathons (FB & BG) so I have been prioritising FB since it restarted.

Hopefully the two marathons will be better synced after the BG Q2 start so work is more beneficial to both.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Last day of Q1 (I think), we have dropped to 12th, opportunities are yoyo, rakesearch, numberfields, einstein and LHC. Sidock was on the list but the team ahead of us is working that hard and likely to stay ahead. We probably need at least two overtakes depending if we get overtaken today..
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

End of Q1 we were 11th
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

The second Boinc Games Sprint is currently on with project MilkyWay, this has unfortunately collided with the FormulaBoinc Sprint which is also on with project PrimeGrid

BG sprint ends 9th April 02:00 UTC (03:00 BST)

I'm prioritising FormulaBoinc but also throwing a smaller amount of effort at BoincGames.

The BoincGames sprint ends nearly two days after the FormulaBoinc sprint ends.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Nearly two days left of this sprint on Milkyway and we are currently 10th with contributions from three UBT members.

Now the FormulaBoinc sprint has ended, anything could happen.

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_details.php?id=17

Note you have to register as an individual to obtain team points for BoincGames
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

We finished 9th in the second BoincGames sprint with four UBT members contributing, thanks to FrostyDog, Mikee and Timbo

A good result for the team which secures our overall 10th position in BoincGames.

To gain one more position we would have had to more than double our score, we gained 9th position late on in the sprint with L'Alliance Francophone hot on our tails.

18 teams took part in the BoincGames sprint with 80 individuals contributing compare to the very recent and overlapping FormulaBoinc sprint which had 26 teams and 68 visible individuals.

Please register on BoincGames so all your boinc credits get awarded to the team. Registering on FormulaBoinc is optional, member's credits get awarded to the team without registering.