Rosetta not giving me tasks.

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Rosetta not giving me tasks.

Post by Jeffers »

I've crunched for Rosetta for ages but just recently they're no longer sending me any tasks.
I've not changed my setup at all or any of the BOINC settings so I'm at as bit of a loss.
According to their site work is being sent out but I've not had a task in a while.
I've tried resetting the project and looked at my preferences there but I can't see any reason why I'm not getting work. Any ideas?
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Rosetta not giving me tasks.

Post by wbiz »

You need tons of memory to get most of the Rosetta tasks now, I get a few crumbs every few weeks, its a bit annoying as I started boincing to support Rosetta and now I've become a credit chaser elsewhere.

Have you got a virtual machine setup? (outside my paygrade but it appears to be important now).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Jeffers

I can only add the same comment as wbiz - Rosetta now needs significant resources, in terms of CPU capability, as well as plenty of RAM.

So, on my two (ahem :-( ) quite old hosts, I cannot run Rosetta, without the host machine taking lots of resources, making it almost impossible to do anything else (and I don't just mean other BOINC tasks, but ANYTHING !!) :-(

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I stopped using the Virtual machine thing as it was an absolute resource hog. If it's now needed to do Rosetta then it looks like I won't be doing any more... My rig is 6 years old now and I've no current plans to replace it as it still manages the stuff I want it to do. If it no longer meets the specs required to run Rosetta then that's unfortunate.
UBT - PennyQ

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

I stopped Rosetta quite a while ago for exactly the same reason as Tim - it was making my PC almost useless. Shame really...
Penny
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:42 am I stopped using the Virtual machine thing as it was an absolute resource hog. If it's now needed to do Rosetta then it looks like I won't be doing any more... My rig is 6 years old now and I've no current plans to replace it as it still manages the stuff I want it to do. If it no longer meets the specs required to run Rosetta then that's unfortunate.
Hiya

My guess is that Rosetta have increased the level of "number crunching" required (to complete their tasks), in order to benefit from the improved CPUs and increased RAM as installed on more recent host machines.

The problem with that, is that older PCs that do not have enough crunching capability, will not be able to continue, or as you, Penny and I have found, the host machine becomes unusable to do anything else with, at the same time.

This is unfortunate for owners of older but still (generally) usable host devices, but it does mean we cannot contribute to Rosetta as much as we'd like. But at least other projects can still be crunched :-)

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

So of course today I've got a couple of tasks from Rosetta running... typical, eh?
They are a bit greedy, 60% CPU and 1.5Gb of memory between them, but it doesn't look to be slowing anything else down so far...

Oh, and WCG is finally issuing tasks again, too.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

I've been getting a steady stream of non-Python Rosetta CPU tasks through that don't need a great amount of memory since the 12th.

Rosetta is still a low payout project but there isn't a lot of choice for ARM at the moment.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

wbiz wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:48 am I've been getting a steady stream of non-Python Rosetta CPU tasks through that don't need a great amount of memory since the 12th.
Rosetta tasks have fizzled out again :(