New project: LODA

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

New project: LODA

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Another new project has been announced:

https://boinc.loda-lang.org/loda/

Summary: LODA is an assembly language, a computational model, and a distributed tool for mining programs. You can use it to generate and search programs that compute integer sequences from the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences® (OEIS®). The goal of the project is to find new formulas and more efficient algorithms for a wide range of non-trivial integer sequences.

Note: LODA runs on Windows, Linux and macOS.
You need to have git installed. On Windows, please install Git for Windows https://gitforwindows.org/. On Ubuntu/Debian, you can install it using "sudo apt install git". On macOS, it is included in homebrew https://brew.sh/.

Edit: Also, make sure you change your preferences by ticking the box:

Code: Select all

Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?
So, that your stats are exported to the relevant stats websites.

Edit #2: It looks like, if you are running WIndows earlier than Win 10, that you might have to also install "curl"...

see here: https://boinc.loda-lang.org/loda/forum_ ... postid=142

However, I'm running Win 7 and installing curl didn't help me to resolve the errors my hosts gets as each task fails after about 2-3 seconds :-(

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Re: New project: LODA

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I just signed up for this project. Went to the account page and tried to sign up to the UK BOINC Team but when I search for the team it doesn't come up. All kinds of other teams come up in the search but not this team.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Carl

Hope you are well.

I have tried to set up a team, but the website won't allow me too...I think that might be because (so far) all the tasks I've downloaded have FAILED...and so, (I think that) until I have some credits, maybe the website won't allow me to set up a team**?

I'm sure it will be sorted soon...but if I cannot get any credit, then this might take a while, until I figure WHY my host won't crunch the tasks to conclusion. (I have installed Git for WIndows, so I don;t think that is an issue - I've even had Git runnign when BOINC starts a LODA task and it still fails).

**Of course, I'm assuming this is the case...though on other projects previously, I am fairly sure that this has not been an issue and I've been able to set up a team before I had any credits.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Ok, that makes sense. Can't join a team that doesn't exist. I got a task but aborted it because I hadn't joined the team yet. I'll join my old team and see if I can complete tasks. I can switch teams later.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi carl

I've PM'd the LODA admin about the team creation issue, so hopefully they can shed some light on this "anomaly"...and I can set up a team ASAP.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I've completed a couple tasks successfully so far. Installing Git had a ton of options. I just went with all the default selections.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hiya

It seems that the project is more geared up for use on Win 10 hosts - for Win 7, it looks like you need both Git for Windows, as well as "WGet" and/or "curl", as per here:

https://boinc.loda-lang.org/loda/forum_ ... postid=299

as these are expressly noted on the log files associated with your LODA account (and these error messages are not shown in the "stderr" log files...).

https://boinc.loda-lang.org/loda/logs.php

An example log file for task wu_1652712035_5860_1_r1375959957_0:

2022-05-25 09:48:08|INFO |Starting LODA v22.5.23. See https://loda-lang.org/
2022-05-25 09:48:08|INFO |Platform: windows, user name: UBT - Timbo
2022-05-25 09:48:08|INFO |Using LODA home directory "C:\ProgramData\BOINC/projects/boinc.loda-lang.org_loda\"
2022-05-25 09:48:08|INFO |Checking environment
2022-05-25 09:48:08|WARN |Setting environment variable: COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
2022-05-25 09:48:08|WARN |Setting environment variable: SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINDOWS
2022-05-25 09:48:08|WARN |Setting environment variable: PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin
2022-05-25 09:48:08|WARN |Setting environment variable: TMP=C:\ProgramData\BOINC/projects/boinc.loda-lang.org_loda\
2022-05-25 09:48:08|WARN |Setting environment variable: TEMP=C:\ProgramData\BOINC/projects/boinc.loda-lang.org_loda\
Updating files: 100% (82978/82978), done.
2022-05-25 09:53:41|ERROR|No web client found. Please install curl or wget.
whereas, the "Stderr" output (for the same WU) shows only this:

<core_client_version>7.16.20</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
(unknown error) - exit code 195 (0xc3)</message>
<stderr_txt>
09:48:08 (11596): wrapper (7.7.26016): starting
09:48:08 (11596): wrapper: running ../../projects/boinc.loda-lang.org_loda/loda-220523-windows.exe (boinc -H 4)
09:53:46 (11596): loda exited; CPU time 58.827977
09:53:46 (11596): app exit status: 0x3
09:53:46 (11596): called boinc_finish(195)

</stderr_txt>
]]>
I am still awaiting more info from the LODA admin about the team creation issue :-(

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

A UK BOINC Team on this project has now been created:

https://boinc.loda-lang.org/loda/team_d ... ?teamid=42

Note: If you are running Win 7, apart from adding the project to BOINC Manager, and installing Git for WIndows, you will also need to install WGet into the Windows/System32 subdirectory.

Only AFTER I did this could I start crunching tasks correctly and without error, and of course earning some credits too.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I joined the now created team. I can run this project successfully on my Win10 laptop NP. Linux Mint is problematic for me.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Timbo, your being eaten by the LODA PACMAN!
LODA.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I got some LODA tasks running on my Linux boxes. These tasks are memory hogs!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 pm Timbo, your being eaten by the LODA PACMAN!
hahahahahahahaha - very good !!

I actually stopped crunching LODA for the weekend, because of the FB Sprint - so both CPUs and GPUs are running PrimeGrid for now - though I doubt we'll finish with any FB points, but it's the "taking part" that is important !!!!.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I only have a few days left before I pack the car for the trip to my summer home in the Colorado Rockies. I'm only bringing one desktop and my notebook computers with me. Still don't have any GPUs and have no plans to buy any until the new RTX GPUs come out at the end of the year. I'll probably be back in Texas by then.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

No problem.

Hope you have a safe journey up to the Rockies...must be about 1,000 miles between the two?

re: hardware

There's been lots of speculation about NVidia and their new ranges...I follow some of the "tech news" via a couple of websites and it's always fascinating to see what they are coming up with, and nowadays "efficiency" and "energy saving" is taking more precedence over "pure speed" and "energy wasting" tech.

But the likelihood is that the new tech will attract a "first adopters premium" until production settles down and the pricing might stabilise.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

The key thing is crypto doesn't take off for a while. Because of crypto I never got a chance to get an RTX 30xx series GPU, which is kind of sad and funny at the same time.
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by wbiz »

If anybody is on the LODA forum, can you have a whinge on my behalf please.

It appears I cannot register with LODA because my email address (like all other .CO.UK addresses and others) is a third level domain email address.