NASA has lost moon landing tapes

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Simon

NASA has lost moon landing tapes

Post by UBT - Simon »

Can you say oops. ;)

NASA has lost the original footage of man's first steps on the moon.

Neil Armstrong's historic moment was seen by 600 million people in July 1969, but according to NASA the original tapes have been mislaid in their vast archive.

They are now trying to track them down through paperwork dating back 35 years.

See link for full story
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Best get out to the desert then to film it again, I'm sure they still have all the props in a museum somewhere
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Best get out to the desert then to film it again, I'm sure they still have all the props in a museum somewhere
Yup - there's plenty of "cool" software now available to make that nice, new shiny video footage, all scratched and looking like it's been through a hedge backwards...!

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

carbon dating  :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:carbon dating  :roll:

Not sure if carbon dating would work on something:

1) the original film is only 37 years old - and a "new" film might only be a couple of weeks old, if anyone started to question it. In either case, it hasn't had enough time to decay enough Carbon 14 for CD to work...!

2) Doesn't CD only work on things that are still "organic" - I know most (all?) plastics are originally carbon-based (from oil and hence were formerly living things) but video film? (Not that anyone would use video film nowadays, given it's mostly digital technology, rather than light (focussed onto a chemical base).

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating

regards

Tim
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

They can test the chemicals used in the plastic/film 37 years ago Kodak (or what ever film company they used) would of used a different mix of chemicals on the films. You can tell the differences in film quality from just watching old video recordings to modern ones.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Simon wrote:They can test the chemicals used in the plastic/film 37 years ago Kodak (or what ever film company they used) would of used a different mix of chemicals on the films. You can tell the differences in film quality from just watching old video recordings to modern ones.
Darn !!

And I'd just got the cardboard mock-up of the Eagle finished, painted my motorcycle helmet white and starched a USA flag, so it stayed up, without any wind.....

I was going to claim a reward by "finding" it (the film !) in my shed....!

Oh well...... :D

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:I was going to claim a reward by "finding" it (the film !) in my shed....!
Where's Pickles when you need him eh?  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:Where's Pickles when you need him eh?  :D

UNDER the shed !!!!!!!!  :oops:

regards

Tim