Profile settings and "cheerleader rankings"

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Profile settings and "cheerleader rankings"

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Have been thinking of a way to allow Forum members to see what projects each member crunches for (and maybe even show your total credit score) when each member posts to the Forum. And thus far, I cannot see an easy way to do this.

So, until we can figure out how to do this, I'd like to instead create some "Project Cheerleader" headings, which will appear instead of your "Elite" ranking.

This is entirely optional, but if you'd like to be assigned to a specific Project "Cheerleader" ranking, (and by definition, this is the project you are either most "smitten" by or the one you crunch the most for (%age resource share wise) then please let me know either by PM or by replying here.

Edit: If you want to become a cheerleader, you are allowed, nay encouraged to act as spokesperson for the project in order to garner support from members of the Team for your chosen project.

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

As my Elite Ranking is sooo "poor"  :lol: please change mine!

I'm definately a Seasonal Attribution Project cheerleader!  :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Profile settings and "cheerleader rankings"

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Have been thinking of a way to allow Forum members to see what projects each member crunches for (and maybe even show your total credit score) when each member posts to the Forum.
That's what a stats box is for in a persons sig, nice and easy to insert one and does not break anything in the process.

Edit:
And thus far, I cannot see an easy way to do this
You don't even want to consider this, there are risks associated with bringing in external data to the forum code, it would just break down and not work correctly. It works on BOINC forums as they have been coded from the start to do this.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Swissnic wrote:As my Elite Ranking is sooo "poor"  :lol: please change mine!

I'm definately a Seasonal Attribution Project cheerleader!  :wink:
DONE !

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Profile settings and "cheerleader rankings"

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
You don't even want to consider this
Don't blame you - takes a lot of work to get to High Commander - I wouldn't want to lose it either!  :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Not bothered about rankings, don't want to see the forum die a death from this kind of addition, it would slow the forum down and make it very sluggish
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Not bothered about rankings, don't want to see the forum die a death from this kind of addition, it would slow the forum down and make it very sluggish

Erm, sorry - have I missed something here?

What's going to make the forum "sluggish" (except a slug?)

There's no other change - only an idea - and anyone who wants to change their "ranking" to something that allows them to "help" promote the project that they like best, isn't surely going to cause a problem.....is it?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re-read your 1st sentence Tim you have already forgotten what you wrote originally
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Whats important here is - now i'm a cheerleader!!!   :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Re-read your 1st sentence Tim you have already forgotten what you wrote originally
Hi David.

I re-read it. (I do know what I wrote, y'know    :D ).

The idea was only an idea - to show the stats somehow in the profile.

Don't have a clue as to how it can be achieved if at all - but would like to think that it might be very easy - like a "once a day" (more like overnight) update - doesn't have to be "real time" - unlike the stats logo....!

That's not to say it can or can't be done, so any assumption that it would automatically slow anything down is a little presumptous!

And the idea for the cheerleading bit, might actually be a more sensible appproach.   :P

After all, David, you should know me by now - I come up with ideas and then see if it is workable/usable, etc. afterwards.

Some work out fine. Other idea die a death. So, we've got to have ideas in order to inspire other ideas....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:That's not to say it can or can't be done, so any assumption that it would automatically slow anything down is a little presumptous!
Its a fact actually the more you add to a phpbb forum the slower it goes, I also know from studying other mods that bringing in external data such as the stats via XML stats BOINC produces would end up wrecking the forum. :P

Nice idea but customer titles and sigs will do for what we need
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:That's not to say it can or can't be done, so any assumption that it would automatically slow anything down is a little presumptous!
Its a fact actually the more you add to a phpbb forum the slower it goes, I also know from studying other mods that bringing in external data such as the stats via XML stats BOINC produces would end up wrecking the forum. :P

Nice idea but customer titles and sigs will do for what we need
OK HC - I'll give you this one for now....... :(

But I'll think of something one day that you'll like....I'll keep trying until you do, y'know !!!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Don't worry the day I hear something that will work I will let you know  :lol:  :lol:  The forum integration bit will have to die for now :wink:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Voting for Halifax-lad on that one - Sigs is all you need for peeps to put up their stats

I like the Cheerleader ranking bit, but arn't they all dancing girls :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I like the Cheerleader ranking bit, but arn't they all dancing girls :?
Time to get our your short skirt & trainer bra then :?:  :lol:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Timbo - did you turn signatures off?  When I look at a thread now - noone's signatures appear below their posts.  I checked the html code, and they're not there...  (not a download problem).

I have checked my profile, and display signatiures is switched on...

I go to edit my signature, and the preview works fine...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers, Nic.

(Attach signature is checked... but nothing below... hmmmm  :roll: )
Last edited by Swissnic on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

I see all the signatures - maybe your computer is having a funny five minutes?
:?  :o
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

Mmmmm. Baggsy Katie Derham for my cheerleader.

Good job I'm not working, if I were I wouldn't get anything done now!  :lol:
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:Mmmmm. Baggsy Katie Derham for my cheerleader.
Gonna need a cold shower now thinking about that one  :roll:

Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Swissnic wrote:Timbo - did you turn signatures off?  When I look at a thread now - noone's signatures appear below their posts.  I checked the html code, and they're not there...  (not a download problem).

I have checked my profile, and display signatiures is switched on...

I go to edit my signature, and the preview works fine...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers, Nic.

(Attach signature is checked... but nothing below... hmmmm  :roll: )

Hi Nic,

Nope haven't done anything. Try "removing your cookies set by the forum" - see bottom of forum screen.

Maybe something else happening on your PC - can you try another PC.....have you "looked" at the forum without logging on? Any different then?

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I've just had to google to find out who she is, I've never heard of her.
Good choice
UBT - verdade

Post by UBT - verdade »

I'd quite like to see the projects I (and others) crunch for, listed on the left when I make a post. I'm not bothered about stats being included, and I'm not likely to add a stat graphic to my sig 'cos I've just started and my stats are crappy. I'm quite happy to fill in the projects myself.

It would require the addition of two tables to the phpbb database - one to hold the projects, the other to join between the user table and the projects. The PCP code would have to be hacked to allow people to fill in the information, and the forum display code hacked to show the projects with the posts. It's not that big, and there's no reason it should cause any real slowdown to the forum.

If you really wanted to automate it, a process could run once a day to fill in the projects. The code that generates the sig graphics would probably need minimal modification to do this, and you could do the stats at the same time if you really wanted them. Again, that wouldn't slow the forum down.

It would be quick and easy to see who crunches the same projects as you, easier to read than the sig graphics, and would suit those who didn't necessary want the sig graphic. It could also be wrapped up in a nice MOD so that other BOINC-related phpbb forums could do it.

Just my tuppence.

Michael.
UBT - Halifax-lad

No point changing anything at all there will be new forum code out in a bit, and anything written for this kind of board will not work on the new version.

Also the PCP is very complex and doesn't like been fiddled with.

Just stick your sig on doesn't matter if you just have 1 point in BOINC every individual contribution is worthwhile, go on you know you want a nice shiny sig :lol:  :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

It would be nice if you could include something like that on the new website when you get a stab at doing that

Such as this scroll to the very bottom.

You could set something up to place us all in ranking by total credits or total RAC (give the user an option of how they want to view it), then for each person it could list the projects we are on and show a breakdown.

If it could list all of us on one page and made searchable that would be good
Darren

Post by Darren »

While it would not be too complicated to put your project totals in the left column under your avatar, getting hold of the totals would be a bit more tricky.
I would need all of the cpid's from every one on here.
There is a limited amount of space on the left side and it would look odd if it starts to get too wide.

The code to generate the graphics runs every hour and to suddenly start writting information to two separate databases WILL cause the forum AND the signatures creation to slow down.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Deja Daire for my cheerleader  :oops:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Never heard of her...thank goodness I did not do the google image search at work on her!!
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Never heard of her...thank goodness I did not do the google image search at work on her!!
Well I'll have to check whether its work safe or not too
Yup, def not work safe  :D
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Looks like you`re a little short of cheerleaders. I`m currently quite keen on uFluids, I`ll give it a go if you like.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Looks like you`re a little short of cheerleaders. I`m currently quite keen on uFluids, I`ll give it a go if you like.

Done !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Don't forget to send him his training bra, skirt and them fluffy things you shake round.  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Don't forget to send him his training bra, skirt and them fluffy things you shake round.  :lol:

Do you mean "pom-poms" ??... :P

regards

Tim