New Project (sort of): Science United

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

New Project (sort of): Science United

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, UC Berkeley (home of SETI@home) has launched a new "project" with David Anderson in charge.

https://scienceunited.org/

that enables you to crunch data across a range of subjects, such as: Astronomy, Bio/Medical, Maths...etc - basically all the categories that BOINC projects are currently involved in.

https://scienceunited.org/intro.php

From what I can see it is an "account manager" rather than a specific project and I assume it can allow you to control which types of generic projects you want to crunch for.

Update: So it looks like you login to the website and then set specific "controls" to allow certain types of projects to be crunched on your PC - so you could be crunching some Rosetta and WCG types sub-projects if you only prefer say Bio/Medical type tasks.

So, this is really geared up for the "novice" BOINC user rather than the experienced member who prefers to manage and control which specific projects are crunched and when.

I've not seen too much of how else it works, so feel free to see what you can find and report back.

(I did set up an account and tried it and then realised what its basic function was and then I stopped allowing it to "manage" my projects).

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: New Project (sort of): Science United

Post by Woodles »

As previously posted here - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6093&p=114517&hili ... ed#p114524

I'm not happy with using an account manager that won't let me assign my hosts to where I want them but would rather decide where my computing power should be used depending on the operators own preferences (political, monetary or personal)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark

TBH, I'd forgotten about that posting... :-(

So, now it has actually started, one assumes that they will do some "proper" marketing and get a lot more poeple involved, rather than the "techy" types who I guess have mainly been deploying BOINC over the last 20 years.

One does have some choice with regards to which "category" of projects are crunched...so Mathematics, or Astronomy for example...but *which* specific project and type of task is left to SU to decide.

All work that is done is done "anonymously" and there are no teams or access to project challenges as this regarded as being "too involved" for the members they are trying to attract.

Also: The fact that there is far less "tuning" involved might be an issue for tablet and plasticky low-power laptops, which we know historically can have issues with overheating, and this is still maybe an issue that needs to be dealt with - though I did see that there are THREE categories of CPU useage:

Low power - Use 25% of processors, and stop computing when computer is idle.
Standard - Use 50% of processors.
Maximum computing - Use all processors.

So, hopefully they can generate more interest, possibly by asking computer manufacturers (and OS providers) to make it available (maybe via a link to a download page) on "suitable" laptops and PCs.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

I've had a quick look and you can now specify that you don't want work from a specific project within each category so that's an improvement, maybe David Anderson does listed to the users sometimes :)

Looks a bit like Gridcoin in a way, one big superuser with loads of normal users crunching under the same account name.

i wonder if the "Maximum computing" choice reserves a core per GPU or whether they're left to fight for CPU resources with the other projects?

It may take off but i have my doubts, it seems to be Boinc without the fine control or Gridcoin without the reward. Still, at least DA has got a salary for the next three years.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:15 pm
Woodles wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Still, at least DA has got a salary for the next three years.

Mark
Hi Mark

I was thinking the same thing !!

I wonder if he has any salaried "assistant" type posts available? as once this virus thing is sorted out - I wouldn't mind a 3 year posting to sunny California. :idea:

regards
Tim
You're not David, you'd only get half pay.
We didn't get all the money we asked for, which is par for the course. We got enough to pay my salary, and 50% salary for my collaborators