Computer question

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
DJH@GB-Ro

Computer question

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I have my computer automatically turn on at 7am every morning, so it gets crunching underway as soon as possible.

But is there anyway to have it automatically turn off? Or am I just showing signs of becoming obsessed? :oops::oops::oops:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Computer question

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DJHunter wrote:I have my computer automatically turn on at 7am every morning, so it gets crunching underway as soon as possible.

But is there anyway to have it automatically turn off? Or am I just showing signs of becoming obsessed? :oops::oops::oops:

Obsessive???? Nah ! Shirley Knot?

If you're running Windows, am sure you could run "Scheduled Task" that performs a shutdown.

Maybe there's a cute little shareware EXE program that'll do this - along the lines of what happens when programs get installed and the PC has to be restarted.

Only trouble is - you might need to change your BIOS setting as normally, your PC might just reboot afterwards instead of shutting down totally.

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJHunter wrote:I have my computer automatically turn on at 7am every morning, so it gets crunching underway as soon as possible.

doesn't Task Manager give the option of Shutdown computer when it finishes a task?
You could get it to schedule a "do nothing" batchfile and then have it shutdown.
But why would you want to shut it down anyway? Your missing valuable crunching time mate :D
just let it run 24/7
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - AJS wrote:But why would you want to shut it down anyway? Your missing valuable crunching time mate :D
just let it run 24/7
I have a variable speed fan to make it quite when the computer isn't doing much. But I'm running BOINC all the time so it's constantly changing speed, and the computer is in my room, I wouldn't be able to get to sleep :lol:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Only trouble is - you might need to change your BIOS setting as normally, your PC might just reboot afterwards instead of shutting down totally.
You mean because it might think there has been a power-loss? I have it set to not restart after a power loss.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DJHunter wrote:You mean because it might think there has been a power-loss? I have it set to not restart after a power loss.
Precisely.

You could always run a less intensive project overnight - which makes the PC less noisy - unlike some projects that seem to really stress the CPU and cause it to heat up.

Or wear ear defenders/earplugs.

But then you might not hear the alarm to wake you up.

regards,

TimImage
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

DJHunter wrote:But is there anyway to have it automatically turn off?
Take a look at:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-09-05.htm Item #1.

HTH
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
DJHunter wrote:But is there anyway to have it automatically turn off?
Take a look at:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-09-05.htm Item #1.

HTH
Thank you very much :D
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Tested out the Gizmo thing last night, love it! :D
Seti-Cruncher

Post by Seti-Cruncher »

DJHunter wrote:Tested out the Gizmo thing last night, love it! :D
Hmm. I would absolutely HATE anything that reduced my crunching output.

There is actually no reason to be worried about a little (or even a lot) of noise when you are sleeping. If the noise is reasonably constant, you quickly acclimatise to it - otherwise, people who live on or near busy roads would never sleep at all.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Seti-Cruncher wrote:
DJHunter wrote:Tested out the Gizmo thing last night, love it! :D
Hmm. I would absolutely HATE anything that reduced my crunching output.

There is actually no reason to be worried about a little (or even a lot) of noise when you are sleeping. If the noise is reasonably constant, you quickly acclimatise to it - otherwise, people who live on or near busy roads would never sleep at all.

The Gizmo thing only runs when you ask it to, like a scheduled task to shut down. And I have a variable speed fan tha revs all the time and is never constant, so I can't sleep :lol:
Seti-Cruncher

Post by Seti-Cruncher »

DJHunter wrote:The Gizmo thing only runs when you ask it to, like a scheduled task to shut down. And I have a variable speed fan tha revs all the time and is never constant, so I can't sleep :lol:
I drive an articulated truck with refrigerated trailers for a living. The refrigerators are diesel-powered and under thermostatic control so stop and start at irregular intervals. The refrigerator (and, therefore, the diesel engine) is mounted on the front of the close-coupled trailer and is literally a few inches from my head (seperated merely by the rear wall of the cab) when I sleep in the bunk. Even that seperation effectively disappears when I have the sunroof open - which I have to do in all but the coldest weather. I very quickly acclimatised to this and it has no effect on my getting to sleep or remaining asleep.

Furthermore, at home, I have 9 very noisy computers (minimum of 5 fans per computer) in the next room to the bedroom with both doors always open. In fact, the noise is quite evident throughout the house. Both my wife and myself have absolutely no problem sleeping in this situation.

The human brain is actually very good at ignoring things that it considers "normal".

Like most things, the fear of noise is far greater than the reality.

Let your machine run 24/7 and make a significant contribution to science. :wink:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

:lol: I promise you I'll try it! But in my defense, the computer is literally 2 feet from my head when in bed, and I am sensitive to noise, as I spend most of my time in a village. I probably could sleep with the computer on now, it woke me up once :oops: but that was when I had my HDD acoustic thing set on 'performance' rather than 'quiet'. It could just be a case of getting used to it as you say.
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

Seti-Cruncher wrote:Furthermore, at home, I have 9 very noisy computers (minimum of 5 fans per computer) in the next room
Can I ask why a LGV driver runs 9 computers. Is the driving just a sideline and you're some kind of IT freelancer?
Seti-Cruncher

Post by Seti-Cruncher »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
Seti-Cruncher wrote:Furthermore, at home, I have 9 very noisy computers (minimum of 5 fans per computer) in the next room
Can I ask why a LGV driver runs 9 computers. Is the driving just a sideline and you're some kind of IT freelancer?
Computers have been my hobby since the late 70's. I'm also somewhat obsessed with SETI. ;)

By the time I had decided to make a career in IT, and had obtained a BSc degree in Computing, I was considered too old to know anything about computers so I drifted into the other obsession in my life - driving. ;)
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Hi Seti-Cruncher!

I tried leaving the computer on last night, but I just had to turn it off after a while :oops:. I'll probably try again, but I think it is just a bit too close for me and would take a long time to get used to. I'd leave it on all night if it was in the next door room!