Hi everyone! *wave*

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
JohnJT

Hi everyone! *wave*

Post by JohnJT »

Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join UBT, although I was surprised as I showed my ineptness very early on, faffing up the registering with the wrong login name. DOH! (thanks for spotting Tim.)

Quick bio: age 44, married, 2 kids, Location Portsmouth.

I am a very casual BOINC user, although I dabbled with SETI@Home when it was in it's infancy early 2000. WOW! Bet my 486 did some serious crunching... not. lol. Probably wasn't a 486 but it felt that long ago!

I'm not up to speed with the different projects going on, or how to best configure BOINC for my setup, as I'm no were near as hardcore as some of you guys (arrays of MOBO's sitting on shelves, farming away sounds pretty cool.) I had a play with some of the computing settings so as not to fry my CPU but I'm sure it can take more than I'm allowing it at the moment. MY GPU seems to be handling it fine. I'll have a good read in the forum for some tips and tricks etc.

Thanks again guys,

John.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi everyone! *wave*

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi John

Welcome to the forum. :-)

Glad we got the sign up sorted out OK for you. ;-)

re: SETI
Most computers can run SETI without needing much more "under the hood" tweakery. Obviously, as you may have found out already, running the SETI GPU tasks is more advantageous, as they take far less time in order to earn a specific number of credits.

There used to be some 3rd party optimised programs (for SETI@home) that one could download that would speed up task crunching and many people used these (self included). But these have either stopped or the code has been adopted by SETI in order to speed things up a bit (and utilising more of the core hardware to better effect, compared to the older CPU's from "way back when"...!)

In your case, the GTX 1060 GPU can easily generate some good credits and your i7 4790 CPU is no slouch either !!

You'll be working your way up the SETI "league table" fairly quickly I guess.

So, have a mooch around and feel free to ask any questions or contribute as you see fit :-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Welcome to the team!

To be quite honest I haven't bothered overclocking at all - quite happy with the speeds as they are so I won't overcook anything! Plenty of projects out there for you to try - long since gone were the days of only SETI and Einstein!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

JohnJT

Post by JohnJT »

Thanks guys.

To be fair, I'm just happy for my PC to crunch away while I'm afk. I'm staying clear of overclocking but am happy to get it churning away as much as possible without any excess noise coming from the fans.

I found an old GTX 750ti which I popped in for some extra gpu creds. Seems to be ticking along nicely at 55°C, and the electric meter doesn't seem to mind much. This of course didn't help with the extra heat it gives off, but it's work in progress.

Cheers,
John.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

GTX 750ti isn't that old - about 4 years. Still good enough for some decent credits. However, you got the same 2 X 1060's as me and they're great for credits! You prolly need to get back on Collatz to make the most of them, though we need a bit of a boost at Moo! Wrapper.

Don't forget to add WUProp@home - free credits for no CPU or GPU use!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

JohnJT

Post by JohnJT »

Will do :)

Thanks.
John.