my first real overclocking

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

my first real overclocking

Post by nick »

so I finally got an aftermarket cooler a Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo if that means anything to anyone. I'm amazed how far I have got my 3570k to go so far and be stable. its running the bus at 104mhz and a clock speed of 4681mhz its steady at 70-72 deg C and random spikes to 80-82.

my question is should I lower the bus to 100 and try to get it higher? this is all new to me and I don't want to fry it. I got to 4800mhz but the temp was mid 80's so I took it back down. I noticed a heat spike every time I upped the bus speed so is that important to crunching or should I knock it down to 100 and try to hit 5k.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: my first real overclocking

Post by Woodles »

nick wrote:so I finally got an aftermarket cooler a Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo if that means anything to anyone. I'm amazed how far I have got my 3570k to go so far and be stable. its running the bus at 104mhz and a clock speed of 4681mhz its steady at 70-72 deg C and random spikes to 80-82.

my question is should I lower the bus to 100 and try to get it higher? this is all new to me and I don't want to fry it. I got to 4800mhz but the temp was mid 80's so I took it back down. I noticed a heat spike every time I upped the bus speed so is that important to crunching or should I knock it down to 100 and try to hit 5k.
Hi nick,

Very impressive! :shock:

I'm not an expert overclocker by any stretch of the imagination but my two pence worth:

The maximum case temperature of the 3570K is specified as 67 degrees, I can't find any information on the thermal characteristics of the package but the core will start to clock down if it reaches 105 degrees and it's generally accepted that the core should be kept below 80 degrees anyway if you want to get a decent lifetime out of the chip. I'd aim for a steady state of 65 - 70 degrees.

The bus speed is used to communicate with the external peripherals (memory, disc, GPU etc) so would be better off at 100 MHz. The cache on the latest chips is probably big enough for any slight increases in memory bandwidth bu overclocking the external bus would be negligible.

From what I've read, most of the 3570Ks will do 4.5Ghz but only some will go above that. Looks like you've got one of the better ones :D

Mark
nick

Post by nick »

I messed up dropped it to 100 and could not go past 44 multiplier without crashing. so I went back to 104 and now I can't stay stable at 4681 like before. man overclocking is so finicky. is this a power issue? I have it to auto.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

It shouldn't be a power issue, best left to auto until you're happy with the results then switch to manual and reduce the voltage is possible to reduce the power and temperature. Auto is a bit conservative at times but should get things working.

Is anything else running or the room heated up? I think it was very borderline last time, a few percentage of extra load or a couple of degree rise in ambient might have been too much for it.

Personally, I'd be very happy with getting a 3.8 GHz device running at 'only' 4.4GHz :D
nick

Post by nick »

its a 3.4ghz device :D but its the whole but i got it before so now i want it lol ill try again tonight when the temp drops see if its stable and its a room temp issue
nick

Post by nick »

yeah it was voltage dropped 10c and added 300mhz was running at 4.2k and mid 80's now I'm at 4577 and high 60's peaking at 72c ill leave it running for a few hours and see if I can up it again
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

nick wrote:its a 3.4ghz device :D but its the whole but i got it before so now i want it lol ill try again tonight when the temp drops see if its stable and its a room temp issue
It's 3.8GHz in turbo mode :D
nick wrote:yeah it was voltage dropped 10c and added 300mhz was running at 4.2k and mid 80's now I'm at 4577 and high 60's peaking at 72c ill leave it running for a few hours and see if I can up it again
Are you measuring the temperature when it's loaded or idle?

Otherwise, you might be able to get it running fast but as soon as you try and use it for anything, it'll overheat.
nick

Post by nick »

heat is running boinc at 100 load
nick

Post by nick »

nope can't get it to hit 4681 again blue screens as soon as I click it