Merry Xmas and Happy New Year from UK BOINC Team

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year from UK BOINC Team

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I'm planning on being away from a PC, over Xmas - I have a few other things that need some of my time - so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you all have a safe, peaceful and relaxing time over the next few days.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to suggest that at some point you raise a glass in thanks to "Janos", who has performed a minor miracle (IMHO) and spent a lot of time resurrecting our old forum data so that it can be hosted on a new forum version... :happy-wavemulticolor:

Without his superb effort, we'd still have a crippled and not very reliable forum. So 3 cheers to Janos: "hip, hip....??"

So that just leaves me to say :text-merryxmas: and :text-happynewyear: and chat with you all again soon :)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year from UK BOINC Team

Post by Woodles »

Merry Christmas Tim and all,

I shall also be away from any PC over the Christmas and New Year period so crunching is going to be "set and forget". I will, however, still be on the internet and popping in to the forum periodically.

Not knowing exactly who did what and what needed to be done, I would also like the thank Janos, Tim and anyone else involved in moving the forum to it's new home. Good job!

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Merry Christmas Tim and all,
Hi Mark - thanks for that :)
I shall also be away from any PC over the Christmas and New Year period so crunching is going to be "set and forget". I will, however, still be on the internet and popping in to the forum periodically.
Stay safe and catch up when you return
Not knowing exactly who did what and what needed to be done, I would also like the thank Janos, Tim and anyone else involved in moving the forum to it's new home. Good job!

Mark
It was a tiny bit of work by myself (say about 2%) and the other 98% was by Janos - and the suggestion has been made that at some point (soon) we dedicate a Crunchathon to either a specific project that Janos holds dear, or maybe members can swap teams (to TSBT) for a period of time? Either way, it'll be nice to be able to acknowledge his assistance as a "Thank You" for his outstanding effort. Quite how this would work, I don't know...maybe we set a target of providing Janos (or TSBT) with a number of credits...or we dedicate a weekend, or a week of crunching to any named project (or set of projects?).

Maybe we can see what others think is a workable idea and then we can see what Janos would prefer?

regards,
Tim
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

Merry Christmas all (and thank you Janos) :D

It would be good for Boinc if I *was* away from my PC over Christmas since it doesn't run when the computer is busy, and I close it down when I need to claw back some memory (might treat myself to a memory upgrade next year), but it does gets a good run overnight.

I'm up for donating some crunchtime to TSBT/Janos as a thank you for his efforts. But thanks also Tim for organising the move as I do like the shiny new forum. :clap:

Francis
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim and Francis,

I'm up for a crunch in Janos or TSBT name in recognition of his/their contribution to the forum :)

Obviously I'd prefer it either to be in their name (and the credits still go to us :D) or in a project where we're not chasing them :lol:

If not, no matter, won't stop me from joining in.

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi all

Merry Christmas to one and all - ho ho ho...

Track Santa here http://www.noradsanta.org/

And if you want to impress the kids tonight ISS flies over in a few mins 'it's Santa going to fetch more prezzies! http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Janos
Honorary UBT member

Post by Janos »

Merry Christmas!

It was my pleasure to lend a little technical support and I am delighted that your new home is working well. It would have been a great loss to the BOINC community had the history of your team not been carried forward for future crunchers to peruse.

I think a crunchathon is most definitely in order as a "house warming" party for your new forums.

Cheers
Janos
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos