Bitcoin

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Bitcoin

Post by UBT - Mikee »

After a long hard slog, several steps back and forwards we finally got to overtake TSBT in Bitcoin Utopia!

KWSN are on a similar RAC but it will be a long time, at currrent rates, before they get close to us.

Seems like SETI.Germany are now in our sights and we should get close in less than 50 days - though I'm sure there will be hicoughs along the way! :-)

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Bitcoin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:After a long hard slog, several steps back and forwards we finally got to overtake TSBT in Bitcoin Utopia!
Hi Mike,

Well spotted...it has taken a very, very long time to catch up with TSBT...they did after all, have a good head start on UBT, (on the BU project) to begin with...and then they seemed to accelerate away from us. But it's another Project #1 ranking for UBT...which is a great reward too !!
KWSN are on a similar RAC but it will be a long time, at currrent rates, before they get close to us.

Seems like SETI.Germany are now in our sights and we should get close in less than 50 days - though I'm sure there will be hicoughs along the way! :-)

Mike
As Woodles mentioned in another posting, KWSN are big hitters at present, so as sure as I can be, that we'll sweep past SG soon, with KWSN on our heels, it'll need UBT to improve our daily RAC to keep them at bay.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Mikee wrote:After a long hard slog, several steps back and forwards we finally got to overtake TSBT in Bitcoin Utopia!
Good news, another UK number 1 :)
UBT - Mikee wrote:KWSN are on a similar RAC but it will be a long time, at currrent rates, before they get close to us.
Ah, but this mornings Boincstats RAC put us on 460K more than them, a difference of 0.02%, we're easily outpacing them :D
UBT - Mikee wrote:... though I'm sure there will be hicoughs along the way! :-)
Now that you mention it, I'm going to take some of my miners offline today for a bit of long overdue TLC :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Now that you mention it, I'm going to take some of my miners offline today for a bit of long overdue TLC :D

Mark
Hi Mark,

Make sure you whip the covers off the R4 and give the heatsink screws a "tighten up"....as they do get loose and hence the heatsinks are not so effective ;)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

All screws tight, several kilogrammes of dust removed, one fan resurrected from dead and two more fans stripped down and re-greased so they turn more than once a minute :D

Now the bad news, one quarter of each R4 is now refusing  to work, zadiag sees them correctly but they won't crunch :(

Off out now for a sit in the local beer garden so I'll be running below par until tomorrow.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

All screws tight, several kilogrammes of dust removed, one fan resurrected from dead and two more fans stripped down and re-greased so they turn more than once a minute :D
Hi Mark

Excellent stuff....though I know the feeling about the detritus that seems to pervade the inner workings...I had dusty fans, loose heatsinks and black sticky stuff on the PCB's and within the grooves of the heatsinks.

So, various aerosols were used to dislodge it all....and now it's all in good shape :)
Now the bad news, one quarter of each R4 is now refusing  to work, zadiag sees them correctly but they won't crunch :(

Off out now for a sit in the local beer garden so I'll be running below par until tomorrow.

Mark
I had EXACTLY the same issue when I came to re-assemble !!

In the end it was an issue with the built-in USB hub...so I changed it for a 4-port Belkin that was spare and that works fine now. The other option might be to run a single USB cable from the "supposed" faulty blade and connect it directly  to the PC. My guess is that Zadig will be needed to install the ASIC on a different USB port, but that should be enough to get the blade working again.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark

Excellent stuff....though I know the feeling about the detritus that seems to pervade the inner workings...I had dusty fans, loose heatsinks and black sticky stuff on the PCB's and within the grooves of the heatsinks.

So, various aerosols were used to dislodge it all....and now it's all in good shape :)
Hi Tim,

No black sticky stuff present but two moulting cats who like sitting on warm objects contributed a fair bit of fluff!
UBT - Timbo wrote:I had EXACTLY the same issue when I came to re-assemble !!

In the end it was an issue with the built-in USB hub...so I changed it for a 4-port Belkin that was spare and that works fine now. The other option might be to run a single USB cable from the "supposed" faulty blade and connect it directly  to the PC. My guess is that Zadig will be needed to install the ASIC on a different USB port, but that should be enough to get the blade working again.

regards
Tim
I'm suspecting the USB connection myself, it was all fine before and the boards are powered with no smoke so I guess a bad connection. Tomorrow will tell.

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi All,

USB connections cleaned and tested on one box - success.

USB connections cleaned and tested on t'other box - no difference.

USB cables swapped and the faulty one proved, new USB cable made up - success.

So it's back to normal at the moment, room temperature climbing already!

Mark