Joshrandom becomes number 2 cruncher in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Joshrandom becomes number 2 cruncher in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Woodles »

Last night James captured the number two spot in the UK!

Congratulations James :)

:wav: :cheers:
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

Congratulations to James! :D

3 of UBT are in the top 10, with 2 in the top 3! Congrats, guys (and gals)! :)
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

:wav: Congratulations :wav:
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Thanks guys, I hadn't even noticed. :wink:

James.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Haha, James - that's a big thing not to notice ;)

And the next stop is beating Mark and claiming first place :D ;)
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris wrote:And the next stop is beating Mark and claiming first place :D ;)
Don't worry, I'm watching him  :D

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Haha, Mark - I bet you are :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Woodles wrote:
UBT - Chris wrote:And the next stop is beating Mark and claiming first place :D ;)
Don't worry, I'm watching him  :D

Mark
I very much doubt you can even see me from your lofty vantage point Mark.  :D

Anyhow, it's Tim that we both need to keep an eye out for (on the off chance that he ever gets his office internet connection sorted out).  :wink:

James.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Joshrandom wrote:Anyhow, it's Tim that we both need to keep an eye out for (on the off chance that he ever gets his office internet connection sorted out).  :wink:

James.
Good point, best to build up as much of a lead as possible while we can :D

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Haha - Tim'll be mortified to hear you two plotting AGAINST him! ;)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Congrats James....

Nice to see that you've got a good reward for your considerable efforts.

As for me, I'm just recovering from a spot of man-flu....and this has meant I've not spent any time at work, cuddling up to my little work farm.

As for the internet connection, I've now sorted out that we do indeed have a physical landline wired into the office (I wasn't sure previously), though it's not connected yet.

So, step 1 sorted, and step 2 on it's way in due course....even if it's a crappy 2Mb connection (which is the best I can get, unless I go for fibre, which I can't justify at present).

Then I can do some more 24/7 crunching :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hope you're better now, Tim :D and 24/7 crunching sounds good :) - my Pi is sat in my room going round the clock - in a week, it has about 1000 credits (although it wasn't round the clock all week), so I could easily get 52,000 a year from it (not many, but Every Little Helps) ;)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Hope you're better now, Tim :D and 24/7 crunching sounds good :) - my Pi is sat in my room going round the clock - in a week, it has about 1000 credits (although it wasn't round the clock all week), so I could easily get 52,000 a year from it (not many, but Every Little Helps) ;)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.

Y'know you can use your Pi with an ASIC and do some Bitcoin WU's - which will earn you more credits :) - more energy efficient too, than using a PC or laptop ;)

I got a Pi when they first came out and when I get a few mins, I want to try it out with some R-Boxes.... :)

regards

Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi, Tim - I like the sound of that - Ill try it now - one sec...

Just checked it out - the tasks have downloaded (so, so far so good, but they don't seem to be getting very far - 0.000% in 2 mins... and remaining (estimated) is 5 hours - as long as I get the credits, though :D)

I'll try it and let you know how it goes - thanks for the idea - it never crossed my mind to use the Pi to do that...

EDIT: So far, so bad - the Pi is running the tasks, and the ASICs are on (red lights), but the green light that shows it is working isn't flashing - any ideas why?
scole of TSBT
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by scole of TSBT »

UBT - Chris wrote:Hi, Tim - I like the sound of that - Ill try it now - one sec...

Just checked it out - the tasks have downloaded (so, so far so good, but they don't seem to be getting very far - 0.000% in 2 mins... and remaining (estimated) is 5 hours - as long as I get the credits, though :D)

I'll try it and let you know how it goes - thanks for the idea - it never crossed my mind to use the Pi to do that...

EDIT: So far, so bad - the Pi is running the tasks, and the ASICs are on (red lights), but the green light that shows it is working isn't flashing - any ideas why?
Describe how everything is connected and the BOINC install process you followed. (It's not as straight forward as getting it to run on Windows)
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Did the sudo apt-get command and BOINC has been up and running for a week. Then attached BU and plugged my ASICs in, then waited for it to download a WU.

EDIT: Still need to download the siftware that recognises the ASICs - the one whose name begins with a Z... I also think that that was my problem on my laptop - I'll check it out when I have a sec later. What was the software called again? - it's been that long since I last installed it, and it's a different laptop, so I have know way of knowing..  :roll:
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

The program you're talking about Chris is Zadig http://zadig.akeo.ie/ but I don't know if it's used on the Pi as it's a Windows program?

Scoles would have a much better idea of the steps you need to go through.

Mark
scole of TSBT

Post by scole of TSBT »

To run BU on Raspberry Pi, see this post...http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... 113&t=2474
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

That;s the one, Mark, and thanks Scole :D
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi, scole - how do I add a new file - Im new to programming, and the /etc/udev/rules.d/ folder says "permission denied" whenever I try to add a new file...
scole of TSBT

Post by scole of TSBT »

Use the sudo command to run your statement...
sudo<space><rest of command line>

Are you logged in as root? To me, that's the easiest way. That way you have to worry about using sudo. Don't think so anyway?
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Thanks, and no - I wasn't logged in as root, but the sudo command works (so far)...
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Well done James....I'll go get an oxygen tank, the air must be pretty thin up there.
:wink:
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Good idea, Rich ;) If you keep going at your rate, you'll be there soon too! :D