The world’s coldest-ever draught beer, served at minus 2.5ºC

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Halifax-lad

The world’s coldest-ever draught beer, served at minus 2.5ºC

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Sub-zero

Its taken 8 years of development & trials but its finally made it to a product that pub chains can confidently purchase and install.

The 1st version used to have a cooler under the bar the size of a small car and it constantly broke down, things have now changed the cooler is a lot small and its not tempermental anymore.

It used to be called ARC but they must have thought that is a rubbish name and re-branded it to be called Sub-zero.

Keep an eye out at a bar near you for it

PS Neat film for you to download and watch to see how it works if you have never seen one before
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

Bet Greenpeace love that!  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well its no different to a frezzer or fridge so makes no difference to them
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Yeah, right!
UBT - Halifax-lad

its a chiller that cools larger thats all it does, nothing else hidden in there
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

It's not as simple as that.

It takes a lot more energy to cool something from ambient to -2.5C than 4C (say) for a typical pub lager in most places. Worldwide that's an awful lot more power generation needed. And where will that power be coming from?

My bet is Greenpeace would view it in the same way as urban 4*4 vehicles, i.e. as a needless consumption of energy when more efficient alternatives are available. The "same as a fridge or a freezer" comment doesn't stand up because this isn't storing essentials like foodstuffs or medical supplies it's a marketing gimmick.

Drink your beer warmer and save the planet.  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Greenpeace is not against using energy its about making the most of renewable sources of energy
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Greenpeace is not against using energy its about making the most of renewable sources of energy
And drinking beer a few degrees colder is really going to help in making the most of renewable sources isn't it?
UBT - Halifax-lad

That has nothing to do with it peoples opinions and governments opinions needs to change on renew-ables, a recent report has stated the the UK could be exporting more power than it needs and creating a hell of a lot of money in the process if the government would introduce incentives for tidal power stations
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:That has nothing to do with it peoples opinions and governments opinions needs to change on renew-ables, a recent report has stated the the UK could be exporting more power than it needs and creating a hell of a lot of money in the process if the government would introduce incentives for tidal power stations
Outstanding! :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Exactly we have everything we need on our own doorstep it just needs some tax-cuts to enable a new industry to get well established.
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Greenpeace is not against using energy its about making the most of renewable sources of energy
Not quite. Check out their 12 Steps here http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... n/12_steps.

"Try to minimise electricity use: its generation needs a lot of energy, mostly heat produced in coal, gas or nuclear plants". Just how does drinking you beer several degrees cooler help that?

There's a limit to how much power you can produce using renewable sources. Frittering it away on colder beer just isn't going to help.
UBT - Halifax-lad

There is not a limit on renewable sources when it has been shown the UK could become a massive exporter of renewable energy to other countries, as it has been shown that the UK can provide all the electricity it could ever need from renew-ables
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Of course there is! You can't cover the entire planet with solar panels, wind farms and tidal stations. With the ones that can be built there will always be limitations on how much energy they can produce - that's physics for you.
UBT - Halifax-lad

That's not what I said, I said there is more than enough renewable sources for the UK to run off with lots left over to export. All it needs is the government to start off on the right foot to get it going.

Companies are already following suit by reducing emissions, making products that have lower power consumption and that don't pollute as much
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:That's not what I said, I said there is more than enough renewable sources for the UK to run off with lots left over to export.
Again, not if it gets frittered away needlessly.

On that note I'm off to have a beer that's not overcooled.  :cheers:
UBT - Halifax-lad

You obviously did not read the 2nd part of the post that says companies are already starting to make products that have lower power consumptions, as the technology moves on the power consumption is slowly going down in some things, whilst others may be rising,
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Nice one chaps, great stuff.

I'm gonna leave the office air-con switched on but also turn on the heating, don't want it too cold in here tomorrow  :D
Its not wasteful at all, we got our own windfarm  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

If only I did have my own wind farm would be free to do what I please then with all the gadgets.

Now back to beer yum yum try it if you can its very good
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Now back to beer yum yum try it if you can its very good
So you've tried this sub-zero then??
I'm old school mate, that'd be too cold for me Image
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yup have had it before, the Bar I managed up here was one of the 1st in the country to publicly trial the first concept of the design.

It was very popular but from the Bars point of view the microprocessor always broke down and the cooler was way too big (size of a small car) so it went back to the drawing board several times.

Not heard anything about it for a long time and then found that is has come out of the test phase and now works correctly. Cooler technology has come on in the last 6 years.