Got two usernames?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Got two usernames?

Post by Jeffers »

I had an issue ages ago when I somehow ended up with two usernames spread across the various projects I'd supported. These were "Jeff Bulmer"  and "Jeffers" which I'd used for the forums. The stats had left Jeffers sat way down the listings with all current credit going to "Jeff Bulmer", where I'd clambered fairly well up the list.
BOINC stats has always shown them separately but I'd pretty much ignored it as the old one(Jeff Bulmer)only had a few million credits against it and an RAC of 0.
I've just upgraded my PC and re-installed Windows and everything else. I thought I'd have a go at using BAM and tried setting it up, but I couldn't seem to get it to work and reverted to manually attaching projects.
When I've looked at BOINC stats it seems that my credits have be re-distributed across the two usernames. The Jeffers username has shot up 270 places while Jeff Bulmer has dropped 20.
I've really no way of knowing what's happened but it now looks like Jeffers is getting all the credits while Jeff Bulmer has an RAC of 0. I'm not too bothered about where I am in the rankings, I'm just confused as to what might have happened?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any way to merge the two?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Got two usernames?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote:Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any way to merge the two?
Hi Jeff,

OK, so there's two issues at play (IIRC).

1) Did you register using the same email address on all the different projects? If you did, then the actual name(s) you used is less of an issue.

2) Some of the defunct projects may still have "data" which various stats sites might still be able to access or they have retained...and those accounts, with the specific "cross-project id" code - that long string of characters - might not be accessible, so those "credits" might always be separate from your main account.

If you can still access your account on your "major" projects, then just edit the relevant details (so they are all the same) and give it a few days and see what happens :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

IIRC you can't merge 2 user names. However, it may be that since you've have a bit of a rebuild BOINC is reallocating your credits where it thinks they should be - it'll sort itself out after a few days but it won't be the same as before.

In the meantime, you may help things along by going to a project you're currently doing, go to your account page and view 'your computers' then 'show all computers' if that's available.

You'll see that you'll have your old set ups and your new setup. You can merge these accounts (Merge computers by name should be seen).

You'll have to do that for all projects (eventually if you're feeling particularly bored one day :-) )

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Got two usernames?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote:Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any way to merge the two?
A quick follow up:

From BOINC stats you have the following:

Account name: jeffers
X-Project ID: 0508b7a3d82c89c8827c430e13466b16

used on Collatz, GPUGrid, SETI@home, Donate and Magnetism (only 1st 3 still running)

Account name: jeffers
X-Project ID: 47ff6a8cc4941afd3bf63b458418d740

used on DistrRGen, POEM, PrimeGrid, Rosetta, SIMAP and WCG (all still running).

Account name "Jeff Bulmer"
not found :(

If you have any other names/projects you are attached to, via BOINC Manager, then try editing your name and account info, esp email address and you should find things will start to merge.

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Thanks for that, guys. I'm pretty sure I've always used the same e-mail address since I've been using BOINC, so I'll have a twiddle about with the account info on the various projects when I've got time.
We'll see what happens......
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

my sigs gone all strange too, no breakdown by project.....
ain't compooters great!?!?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote:my sigs gone all strange too, no breakdown by project.....
ain't compooters great!?!?
Hi Jeff,

The sigs are based on the cross-project ID's, so if you've made any edits and things are in the process of "changing" then it might take a day or so to settle down, so as long as the email addresses and usernames are the same across the various projects, then it should all be fine.

regards
Tim