BOINC project preferences setting

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

BOINC project preferences setting

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Anyone give me a clue as to what this means (as found on some project websites under "Preferences"):

Maximum CPU % for graphics 0 ... 100

The default seems to be 20....what happens if one changes this ?

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Tim,

Can't say I have changed it but I would infer that it is the amount of CPU time that BOINC can use for the screensaver graphics. If you don't bother with that then I suspect it is redundant. Of course, I could be wrong.

Chris.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

It would be used in projects that set up a screensaver. SETI and Einstein spring to mind. I think one of the old 'proteins' projects used it as well. You can tell if a project uses it as the 'show graphics' button is available on the 'tasks' screen.

As Chris says it would be the amount of processor usage is allowed to be used - the lower the clunkier the graphics on the screensaver.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:It would be used in projects that set up a screensaver. SETI and Einstein spring to mind. I think one of the old 'proteins' projects used it as well. You can tell if a project uses it as the 'show graphics' button is available on the 'tasks' screen.

As Chris says it would be the amount of processor usage is allowed to be used - the lower the clunkier the graphics on the screensaver.
Hi Mike & Chris

Thanks for that - it all makes sense now - I thought it might have something to do with using a GPU....how wrong can I have been !!

regards
Tim
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Depending on the quality of the screensaver it kicks in, it can be a Royal Pain in the *ss :)

The older ones were written in ye days of olde when a screen saver was essential else you literally burnt an image into the phosphorescent coating on the inside of the screen - not a happy outcome - when you left it on, screen contents didn't change and you went shopping at local hyper-market. By the time you got back the image on screen was burnt into the screen coating - permanently.

These days that's no issue burning into phosphorescent coating is damn near impossible with modern coatings. So what is now a redundant utility has morphed into a "hey look at my screen saver utility", that just so happens carries an ad or whatever you want it to.

Depending on how well the saver was written, and your attitude to Credits, depends what you want to do with it. A setting of zero turns if off, and incremental increases from zero give it more machine resources to do its thing. It can be fun (casual gamer) or a Royal Pain in the Butt if you are the intense "gotta rack up the credits" type.

Pays your money takes your choice as they say :)