The Beast - the AMD R9 295x2 - has arrived :)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Zydor

The Beast - the AMD R9 295x2 - has arrived :)

Post by Zydor »

This is a Beast of a card ....... and hands down top of the performance leagues, and will be so for quite a while yet.

Not cheap ..... but then 2 x R9 290x are not give-a-ways either. So they have been reasonable on pricing considering what it is, plus a slight premium for top card. I would expect it to drop some in 6 months or so, however there is no competition for this card, so price reductions will be slow to come along.

You'll need a big case, be very careful about mid range cases, maybe one or two * could * do the job, but that will be rare. This is for full tower cases, be under no illusion.

Power consumption, heat and speed  are all in the ball park of 2x R9 290x beasts. In all, that its a remarkably tamed beastie - impressive.

If you have a Tower Case, 850w PSU, 1 x R9 295x2 and circa £900, that gets you into the Promised Land

If you have a Full Tower Case, a min 1250w PSU (preferably a little bigger), and circa £1800 to spare for two x R9 295x2, go for it and enter Gaming Heaven for years to come :)

The beat moves on ......
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/am ... iew,1.html .

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Zydor,

Thanks for the heads up :)

ahem....500W TDP ?... and 11 TFLOPS !!!!

Jeez...that's gonna be enough to really mess up any "energy efficiency" plans anyone might have....

I think I'll wait and see what NVidia does....and if the R9 outperforms say a Titan Z or Titan Black, then as the "first adopters" rush to upgrade to this new R9, they'll be wanting to offload their old cards......and I might be able to pick up something that's not been flogged to death ;)

regards
Tim
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Most will wait for Partner cards - usually around 2-3 months after new models. Other manufacturer cards being released at the moment, are just Reference Cards rebadged at this stage, for early adopters.

This "Round" could get rough .... standby for a barrel load of AMD v NVidea angst on forums rofl.

Nvidia are allegedly doing a dual card - the 790, will be interesting to see what they come up with - but my bet at the moment is it will not compete with the R9 295x2 as they have been letting loose spoilers all over the place.

We shall see, competition is a wonderful thing :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Zydor wrote:...We shall see, competition is a wonderful thing :)
Hi Zydor,

It's just a shame that lots of "good" video card companies, (who designed their own chips and technologies) have all fallen by the wayside or been taken over....cirrus logic, 3dfx, #9, s3, oak, weitek, SGI, video 7.....

(I then found a wiki page on them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... _companies )

And now all we have left are TWO.......just like the CPU business (Intel and AMD).

God help us if either of these silicon businesses become monopolies....I don't think it will do us customers any good at all.

regards
Tim