GEIL Memory problem

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
Swissnic

GEIL Memory problem

Post by Swissnic »

Hi Chaps,

I am sorry to say that today, I discovered a problem with the memory on one of my machines.  My oc'd Athlon64 was running with some extremely fast GEIL PC533 CAS2-2-2-5 Memory (very aggressive).  It now seems to be crashing a lot, and SAP work units keep failing.  Memory burn-in tests revealed a problem with one of the banks.

I have suspended activity on this machine for now, and just ordered a couple of gig of crucial CAS3 memory for it (same as I run in all my other machines).

I just wanted to apologise for the low scores for the next couple of days.

Cheers, Nic.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Never mind at least you can get up and running again soon
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Have the same kind of problem with loss of credits.  Just upgraded my
AMD64 3000 to an AMD X2 4200  :)  but the 1GB is having a few problems running 2 SAP wu at the same time. I think it needs 2GB, which means I have a processor and 1GB of good memory spare.  Seems I also need a cheap motherboard with built in video and a case. That will give me a rac over 1000 as well.  Have you seen the 4 monsters in Team -TNT - Me too! is putting in 3000 credits a day from Antarctica? He must be melting a hole in the ice with all those processors.  :shock: LOL
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

I should be receiving another 0.5GB of memory for one of my older machines running CPDN SA tomorrow. Hopefully that should alleviate a bit of paging on this machine and hence increase its contribution a bit.

Unfortunately the machine takes RIMMs, so memory is still really expensive for it. That's a mistake I won't make again.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Well I got my 2Gb installed now, but the timings are a lot looser...  3-3-3-8, so I had to drop my FSB back down to 200mhz...   :(

Means i'm running a stock 4000+ again...  Oh well, as long as it's stable right!  :wink:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

could you not run the memory on a devider and keep some sort of o/c going?
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

My Athlon has crashed about 5 times in last 2 days, RAC down to 169 on the computer. Don't know the problem yet so I'm running on a different install of windows, sorry for the drop in credits on the machine, will try to catch up when 2GB installed. Glad to see Team-TNT split, their big cruncher has gone (down a hole in the ice LOL) :P
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

Yes, I also notice that the team "U.S.Air Force" has contributed 29,448 credits today! I'm pretty confident that that's a one off, though!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_gr ... =sap&id=73