2014 Crunchathons

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

2014 Crunchathons

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I'd like to plan ahead and consider doing some Crunchathons during 2014....maybe 3 or 4 - spread more or less equally throughout the year.

As in previous times, it'd be nice to have a poll as to which projects should be supported, based on your suggestions.....

So, for now, let's say we have a Crunchathon throughout February - so the next step is easy....suggest a suitable project that we can support.

The main considerations are that:
- it should have plenty of relatively short duration WU's.
- WU's should be easily crunched on even modest hardware
- there's a good motive as to why the project is "worthy" of our support.

So, please make your suggestions before (say) Wednesday 15th January 2014.

EDIT: There is ANOTHER alternative - and that is that I register the team on any/all BOINCstats challenges....

The website showing them is here:

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/overview

So, we could just get involved with their challenges and see how we do against other teams.

Let me know what you all think please.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Personally I always think "Team Challenges" are a good thing to keep ticking over circa once/three months - then have suitable/all (depending how it pans out) Pure Team Challenges - the latter can often be relaxed fun affairs without many getting too intense about it.

External Sponsored Team Events can at times get a bit too intense - when the latter happens it defeats the whole point as the pure fun element fades a little. Need to take part of course, no question, but a local "Team Only" challenge can introduce a more fun environment every now and then to recharge "Personal Batteries" before launching forth out into the big wide world, on the next external Challenge.

I'll have a thunk over a few days on suggested external Project Challenges, but for sure the guys over at SETI Germany do try hard to run a varied "programme" of challenges that pretty well can be the "Core" of our "Programme". Always good to have a change every few months, but no doubt SEARCHER will be along shortly to estole the SETI-Germany programme virtues - and by in large he would be right  8)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Zydor wrote:Personally I always think "Team Challenges" are a good thing to keep ticking over circa once/three months - then have suitable/all (depending how it pans out) Pure Team Challenges - the latter can often be relaxed fun affairs without many getting too intense about it.

External Sponsored Team Events can at times get a bit too intense - when the latter happens it defeats the whole point as the pure fun element fades a little. Need to take part of course, no question, but a local "Team Only" challenge can introduce a more fun environment every now and then to recharge "Personal Batteries" before launching forth out into the big wide world, on the next external Challenge.

I'll have a thunk over a few days on suggested external Project Challenges, but for sure the guys over at SETI Germany do try hard to run a varied "programme" of challenges that pretty well can be the "Core" of our "Programme". Always good to have a change every few months, but no doubt SEARCHER will be along shortly to estole the SETI-Germany programme virtues - and by in large he would be right  8)
Hi Zydor,

Many thanks for your input.

The fact is that we can join any of the "externally" organised challenges, as we have lots of members and across the gamut of projects available there is always someone doing some crunching...

Having a "UBT" specific crunch though (as we've done in the past) is also worthwhile....though at the moment, getting people re-involved could be an issue....and that was why I wanted to make a start now and to garner some interest and some feedback as to how best to get more interested in BOINC.

Having our name "out there" is one way and being involved in various challenges is one way to do it.

Another way, was to try using an "direct email" approach - I did this earlier in the year, using MailChimp, but with little success...though I will try again...but the issue is that a maximum of 2000 members can be emailed......any more and I need to pay for the service

And the recent WCG challenge where team members (of WCG) were emailed about a challenge (via the WCG website), didn't work too well either.

I'll see what other responses we get from this thread and go from there :-)

regards
Tim
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

No worries, whatever route you decide, I will be onside and will help in any practical way I can