Server Graphics Card

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
galacticminor
Active UBT Contributor

Server Graphics Card

Post by galacticminor »

Hi,
  Got some Dell 1U Servers (Dual Xeon). I've just bought a cheap Nvidia NVS290 PCI-E graphics card as I'd like to see if I can get some GPU action in there too. I'm going to try and install the card next week, is there anything to watch out for? Will it be best to remove the Seti@home project and re-add it, or is there a config change I can make to let Boinc know I have a graphics card at this point? Also anyone know if Ubuntu comes with Nvidia drivers, or will I have to install them from their site?

Cheers

-Andrew
david

Post by david »

Gidday mate

I don't run Ubuntu,so not sure exactly how it all works there

I would think that the latest Ubuntu version have genuine Nvidia drivers in their repo's to install,if you do install you must first uninstall the noveau drivers

You should be right to do that without touching BOINC it should see the card and then you can attach to project that runs on Nvidia cards

Depending on how you have installed Boinc and where will depend on what if anything you need to do extra

I run Fedora and install DKMS and the Akmod drivers which takes care of continuity when the updates for the kernel happen otherwise you will need to reinstall your Nvidia drivers each time

David