GPU Throttling

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

GPU Throttling

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Is it possible to throttle a GPU? I don't mean put your hands round its throat and squeeze obviously.

I have just installed a graphics card and was rather surprised to see that Boinc found it and decided to use it although I did have to search quite a bit to find a project that would use my card but no matter...

Anyway, the problem is that everything on my screen is now very jerky to the point of being unacceptable. I've looked at the BOINC Computing Preferences and found "Suspend GPU work while computer is in use?" which I have set to 'Yes' but it has made no difference. It does say that you need 6.6.21 for that feature and I have 6.6.36. There is a percentage throttle for the CPU but that doesn't seem to apply to the GPU.

Any suggestions?

Chris.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Chris

Strongly suggest you upgrade BOINC to 6.12.26.  There have been major changes to the BOINC Client since the one you have right now, much of it "under the hood", and much of it dealing with GPUs - its far better at controlling GPUs.  

One visible difference is that messages are now in a separate window, that has had a .... mixed ... reception  :wink:    However worth going with and getting used to it for the changes under the hood.  Either upgrade via the main BOINC Site, or come back saying you want to stay as is - if the latter we'll do our best with what you have right now.

What make and model is your GPU Card, and what GPU application/Project is running on it?  Would be helpful to know its settings if they are not at defaults.  We can go through the Client Settings once you confirm the BOINC Version you want to use and have installed, current or the latest 6.12.26

Regards
Zy
UBT - Chris Suddick

Zy,

Thanks for the quick response.

I had read the reception to the 'message window change' in this forum which put me off upgrading but I will if it is the only way forward.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 210 which I guess is at the bottom of the range. I got the cheapest card I could as I needed it only to replace the onboard graphics which had gone fubar. I didn't get it with a view to running Boinc - that is just a bonus.

Dnetc is the only project that I've found that seems to support my card so I've made a start on that.

Chris.
UBT - Chris Suddick

One thing that I forgot to mention was that the DNETC preferences allows you to select the 'core best for your card'. It gives me an option of 0-11. Anyone know what this means? What should I select and would it address my problem?

Chris.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Its not the only way forward ... if you want to use your current version, no worries, but you'll find 6.12.26 more stable for GPUs in the long run. No worries staying as you are if you prefer.

DNETC is heavy on cards, and better suited to AMD.   The PrimeGrid PPS Sieve app would probably be better for you, but I'm not sure if it will run on a 210, I'll check for you and come back in a few - if it does, that app runs the card with less stress, and may even resolve the jerky screen at defaults, see what happens.

Meanwhile, try re-setting the BOINC Client Preferences by deselecting "use GPU whilst Computer in use" so that no tick appears in that box.  That will certainly stop the jerky screen - or should do - and BOINC GPU use should stop immediately you use the screen for anything (was a bit flaky in previous versions, but if you find its not working on 6.6.36, suggest biting the bullet and going 6.12.26.

I'll check on the 210 and come back soonest

Regards
Zy
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

The 210 will run the PPS Sieve application.  It is a fair sized application for the card though, try it see if it suits you, might need a smaller GPU application that does not take so long.

That card is known as "Cuda capability 1.2", 512Mb Ram on board.  Need to note those two facts - sometimes you need it to check if an application will run on a Project. The full spec sheet for that card is at:

http://uk.geforce.com/hardware/desktop- ... ifications

Try that lot, see how it goes, come back if the application is too big for you in terms of time to complete, or things are not working out in any way.

DNETC Question:  For you, no, that refers to multi GPU machines, yours is a single GPU

Regards
Zy
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I doubt running Primegrid PPS will help with the screen response.
I used to run PPS on a GTX260 and it's screen response was awful.
It didn't improve until I swapped the card with a GTX460, it's barely noticeable now.

Your best best is like Zydor says and make sure the GPU processing stops when you're active on the computer. It certainly works on my machines running 6.10.56

If you don't like the messages in 6.12.x then you could consider upgrading to the slightly older 6.10.56 which works fine for me (with old style messages)
UBT - Chris Suddick

I think I shall have to upgrade BOINC. The question in the preferences is "Suspend GPU work while computer is in use?" which I have already set to "Yes". The way I read this it means that BOINC will stop work on the GPU whenever I am using the computer. This doesn't seem to be working despite having a version of BOINC which claims to enforce it.

I shall try the latest version and try and live with the changes. Who knows, maybe I'll like them?

Chris.
UBT - Chris Suddick

Well, I've now upgraded to V6.12.26 and its done the square root of naff all good so I suspect my little foray into the realm of GPU Boinc is going to be somewhat short lived. The screen graphics are just unacceptably slow  :(

Chris.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Did you clear the GPU use switch in BOINC preferences to disable when computer in use?  

What GPU WU are you running at present - could be the latter is too much for the card, and need to choose a more lightweight WU

I assume the PC has 4Gb or more available as main memory ?

Regards
Zy
UBT - Chris Suddick

> Did you clear the GPU use switch in BOINC preferences to disable when computer in use?  

It's a GPU suspend switch, not GPU use. As such I believe it should be checked. However, I will change it and see. I can't see it doing any real harm.

> I assume the PC has 4Gb or more available as main memory ?

Nope. I have 2Gb but there is 43% free at the moment and that is quite normal.

Chris.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I've had this happen to me too. BOINC suspends tasks but GPU applications carry on.
I noticed it a while back and it still occurs on the latest versions of BOINC manager (although not as often).
When it occurs all the tasks show as suspended on the tasks tab, but the GPU based one's elapsed time can still be seen to be increasing. I can cure it by changing the activity to "run always" for a few seconds and then back to "run based on preferences". This nearly always works first time, although I have had to do it twice on a few occasions. Just check that all the progress timers are stopped!
Dunno why it happens though......
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I`ve just tried Zydor`s NVIDIA GeForce download page on my four year old Mesh dual core rig, which has stubbornly refused to accept CUDA downloads before.

I tried the automatic mode, and got four downloads including CUDA.
Just to check, I downloaded some Primegrid WUs, and am happy to say that they are happily crunching away, as well as a multithreaded Aqua WU, something I have never been able to do before.

Thanks Zy!!  
  :D
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I`ve just tried Zydor`s NVIDIA GeForce download page on my four year old Mesh dual core rig, which has stubbornly refused to accept CUDA downloads before.

I tried the automatic mode, and got four downloads including CUDA.
Just to check, I downloaded some Primegrid WUs, and am happy to say that they are happily crunching away, as well as a multithreaded Aqua WU, something I have never been able to do before.

Thanks Zy!!     :D
Kind comment .... but I don't think its down to me  :scratch:  :wink:

The page link I gave was just to show the specifications of the card.

You mentioned " .... I tried the automatic mode .... ", what did you mean by that, because whatever it is, it nailed the issue not me, and would be nice to know what you did to tuck away in the 'ol brain for later use - would also be helpful for others searching on the same issue

Regards
Zy
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

It was officially "automatic driver detection", and has a "target" icon.
It did what it said on the tin, and correctly identified my GPU.
The downloads activated CUDA on my rig, and is currently pumping out around 3000+ credits an hour on Primegrid, not to mention the cpu  on Aqua.

Your link was very useful to me, and probably to other members, as it is a very easy method of downloading the latest drivers for NVIDIA GeForce cards.

Thanks again.
Rick.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

*Ding*  .... understood now, definitely use the autodetect as first crack (just check its correct on what it recommends - its ok 99% of time.... but its happened ...

.... sorry, I had a senior moment on that post above - I was trying to workout what a spec sheet had done to resolve the issue rofl  :toothy10:

Its the Age thing .... :wink:

Happy Crunching :)

Regards
Zy
UBT - Chris Suddick

Well, after a couple of weeks I have now solved the problem of the jerky screen when running BOINC and it would appear that Mr. Zydor was right all along. I shall explain fully for any poor unfortunates that come along later with the same problem...

If you go to 'My Account' on any BOINC website and click on 'edit computing preferences' there is an option 'Suspend processing when GPU is in use'. Why it gives this option is not entirely clear as it makes b****r all difference whether you check it or not. What I have just learned today is that if, in the BOINC manager, you click on 'Tools/Computing Preferences/Processor usage' there is an option 'Use computer while computer is in use'. This is what Zydor was telling me to clear. Unfortunately, he thought he was talking to someone who knew what he was doing :-(

Chris.