Scrapers ye be warned!

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Scrapers ye be warned!

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

After several request and warnings it's now time for a serious talk with those who still scrape the pages of BOINCstats. Scraping puts too much load on the BOINCstats server. Hundreds, sometimes thousands of pages are requested in sequence, bringing the server to its knees. NO MORE! From now on, every scraper detected will have his IP address blocked indefinitely. Your stats history will be purged and if the scraper is a member of a team, the team stats histories will be erased as well. For all projects! This cannot be undone. I'm sorry it has to come to this, but BOINCstats is a source of information and fun for the viewers of THIS site and the pleasure of using BOINCstats is greatly reduced by a slow or unresponsive website. If you need data from BOINCstats contact me by email. I'm sure we can work something out
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Er OK...

But what's the definition of a 'scraper'? Or how many constitutes a 'scrape'?

I sometimes ask for several stats at the same time, maybe 5 or 6 - is that safe? Or are we talking about people who ask for the full stats for their own teams site in 1 big sweep not individuals?

I think I know the answers, but Willy should have been a little more precise on who he's aiming at!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Its aimed at everyone no one should scrape from his site
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Its aimed at everyone no one should scrape from his site
hands up time, its me i'm afraid  :oops:
boincstats is/was the only place I could find CPIDs for my stats and i've hit it quite a few times last night/today and now get the message scrapers not allowed

Dave, if you could forward me willys email address, i'll email him and explain/apologise
UBT - Halifax-lad

I can't seem to recall where I have put his e-mail address so if anyone has hold of it will they post in here please.

Meanwhile I will attempt to look for the one I have
UBT - Halifax-lad

Here it is just asked Willy for it

willy@boincstats.com

and it was Temujin that triggered this as Willy has just stated in the forums, told him you will send him an email ASAP
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:and it was Temujin that triggered this as Willy has just stated in the forums, told him you will send him an email ASAP
email sent
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Temujin wrote:email sent
ok, I've had my wrists slapped by Willy.

I can assure all UBT members that no harm will come to UBT or its members because of this.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Close one tha :duckie: