ATI Config App

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Ben

ATI Config App

Post by Ben »

Hi All,

I stumbled across a project that i developed a little while ago (I must admit it was not the most glamorous design in the world). It was designed to copy and rename the required ATI drivers, so that the optimised Milkyway app could run after the user did an update of the ATI software (which subsequently deletes them).

Although it wasn't rocket science to copy and rename the files it is a pain when the software is updated and you have to sift through the system32 directory and rename them.

What this program does therefore is:
- Check to see if the files exist (32-bit and 64-bit), if they do then copy and rename them to the system32 directory (automatically detected - even if the environ variables have been altered).
- Has the ability to automatically check and rename the files upon startup (a new feature in this updated program). This is done by applying the flags '-s' for silent check, and '-a' for alert (if the user wishs to be alerted to files that had to be copied).
- Links to the UKBT website, and Ice's Zslip website for the latest optimised apps.

I believe it is now at a point where I am happy to release it to the BOINC community to see if it is of an use! Source code and/or application is available upon request.

:)

Screenshots of the first build:

Ice

Post by Ice »

Looks good Ben. I've certainly had to reinstall my ATI drivers and it's usueful to have aids like this. Just one thing, my zslip site isn't  up to date any more. The 5 series were just arriving when I stopped my interest at milkyway, but zslip certainly helps with the HD4*** series.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ice wrote:Looks good Ben. I've certainly had to reinstall my ATI drivers and it's usueful to have aids like this. Just one thing, my zslip site isn't  up to date any more. The 5 series were just arriving when I stopped my interest at milkyway, but zslip certainly helps with the HD4*** series.
Ah.. D'oh  :lol:

Thanks for the info Ice, i think it might be better to take that link off then as if people download an older version then it could make the results invalid  :oops:
Ice

Post by Ice »

Ben wrote:
Ice wrote:Looks good Ben. I've certainly had to reinstall my ATI drivers and it's usueful to have aids like this. Just one thing, my zslip site isn't  up to date any more. The 5 series were just arriving when I stopped my interest at milkyway, but zslip certainly helps with the HD4*** series.
Ah.. D'oh  :lol:

Thanks for the info Ice, i think it might be better to take that link off then as if people download an older version then it could make the results invalid  :oops:
That's true. I think with the HD5*** series you can't use earlier drivers, but then I didn't get into any of that.
Localizer

Post by Localizer »

....... I think for the 5xxx series anything after 9.12 works without the rename exercise.
Ice

Post by Ice »

Localizer wrote:....... I think for the 5xxx series anything after 9.12 works without the rename exercise.
When I tried to upgrade from 8.12 at Milkyway it wouldn't seem to work. I've upgraded on one or two of my HD4850/70 and it seems to be fine with Collatz/DNETC. Does it help with the crunching to upgrade? I'd prefer to leave them with 8.12 in case I need to go back to Milkyway, but I just wondered.
Localizer

Post by Localizer »

........... if it is stable for you, then there is no need to upgrade. DNETC seems to be paying best for me at the moment, although if there outages I'd move on to MW and then Collatz.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ice wrote:
Localizer wrote:....... I think for the 5xxx series anything after 9.12 works without the rename exercise.
When I tried to upgrade from 8.12 at Milkyway it wouldn't seem to work. I've upgraded on one or two of my HD4850/70 and it seems to be fine with Collatz/DNETC. Does it help with the crunching to upgrade? I'd prefer to leave them with 8.12 in case I need to go back to Milkyway, but I just wondered.
I am crunching MW at the moment with my dual HD4850's with the latest ATI drivers. Make sure the files where copied though and that BOINC was shutdown before you renamed them.