Computer leads

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Rick Horn

Computer leads

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I have noticed that many leads for computers and peripherals have small cylindrical  protruberances coming out of one end.

Does any one know the function of these cylinders?
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Like these ?

If so, they are there to secure the cable to whatever you attach it to . Usually screwed in with fingers, but often have a slot to screwdriver them in.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I think Rick means these things
I always thought they were shock absorber type things that help protect the cable at the device end
UBT - Rick Horn

Temujin wrote:I think Rick means these things
Yes, those are the doohickies I meant John, and you may be right about their purpose, but I still have my doubts.  :dontknow:
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

They're ferrite cores used to absorb high frequency electromagnetic radiation. They should be at the end of the cable that produces the signal.

They didn't need to be used in the old days of EGA and VGA but todays high resolution video signals need them to meet current EMC regulations.

The cables work perfectly alright without them but you may notice ghosting on either your monitor or any other visual device nearby (TV, second monitor) if you use old cables without them.

(From someone who's had to fit and tune far too many of them in his daily work!)
Last edited by Woodles on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Rick Horn

Thanks for that, Woodles.
That seems a very logical explanation.
My mind is now at rest!  :D

Rick.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

No problem Rick, glad to help.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

To: Dr.Woodles

"Why do men have nipples"

Waiting Wolverhampton

b. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Although not quite on the same topic, i think from previous but limited experience some higher quality cables (for example network cables) have a built in shielding which looks a bit like tinfoil foil. This also helps to also protect them from electromagnetic interference from known problematic devices such as  fluorescent lighting, or high powered electric cables that touch or are near to the cable which can cause interference.

The shield on the back of the PC (also known as the I/O shield which covers all the main ports such as network, printer, mouse, keyboard etc) also helps reduce electromagnetic interference to the internals of a PC by acting as a grounding device (to the outside of the PC case), as well as a protective cover.

Just in case anyone was interesting in learning something new! :lol: (I think that's right.. :roll:)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Quite right Ben. Any cable with high frequency signals travelling down them should be screened but all it does is keep the noise inside the cable and prevent it radiating out and interfering with anything else. It's still present at the other end. The ferrite cores actually absorb the radiation (it gets converted into magnetic energy) so nothing unexpected comes out of the end.
Because we can!  :P

(Sorry, I'm a physics guy, not biology)
Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - bobuk wrote:To: Dr.Woodles

Waiting Wolverhampton

b. :D

Since you asked. I saught an answer:

"The answer is that as embryos men and women have similar tissues and body parts. If anything the embryo follows a 'female template'. That is why nipples are present in both sexes. It is the effect of the genes, the Y chromosome and the hormone testosterone that brings about the changes and masculinises the embryo."

Which ties in quite nicley with what my sister said to me a while back as she was studying the subject.  :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I nearly fell off my barstool! The student said something intelligent!!!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

melter65 wrote:I nearly fell off my barstool! The student said something intelligent!!!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The cheek!  :wink: We do have our moments  :lol:  :lol:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

melter65 wrote:I nearly fell off my barstool! The student said something intelligent!!!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yes, but he was quoting his sister - presumably older and wiser!!  :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

hgblade wrote:
melter65 wrote:Yes, but he was quoting his sister - presumably older and wiser!!  :lol:
Ah presumption is the mother of all evils  :lol: I got the quote from another website, but referenced my younger sibling who had mentioned it to me a while ago  :wink: Who as you quite rightly say has more sense than me!  :lol: