USB Problem

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

USB Problem

Post by melter65 »

The daughter's lappy has developed an annoying problem. It only has one USB port and when she plugs anything in she gets the message bubble 'Device Not Recognised'.

The USB port shows up in Device Manager, and we've also tried the MS Repair download, with no success.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

I'm afraid that I don't really have much advice for you Mr Melter, beyond unhelpfully suggesting that there might be a problem with the operating system.  :oops:  

Have you tried a virus or malware scan?
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

She's done all the scans and they all show clean. You may have something with the OS, Mr Random. One website suggests reinstalling the OS, but we don't have the Vista disc :(
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

Hi Melter,

I've just got my first PC for about 6yrs (Dell lappy from work) and I'm remembering why I don't use windows at home - loads of driver problems :(

Anyway, a bit of research on your problem seems to go down 2 roads:

Editing the registry or skipping through a minefield as I seem to remember it.

Or

A few of these internet people seem to suggest unplugging all USB devices then shutting down the computer and unplugging it from all power (including removing laptop batteries) for about 20 mins.

Theory seems to be the the motherboard needs 'rebooting' ....  don't ask me but it seems the least painful of the alleged solutions.

Hope this "helps", let me know how you get on.

If you don't get anywhere, let us know what machine it is and what she's running etc
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks Rotty, we'll try that later. I'll post tomorrow how it goes :D
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

dave you could try:

http://www.glarysoft.com

good cleaner of registry cleaner...

and its FREE

b. :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Cheers Bob :D

Just d/loaded it to my lappy and it found more registry problems than CCleaner! I'll tell her to get it installed tomorrow.
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

melter65 wrote:Cheers Bob :D

Just d/loaded it to my lappy and it found more registry problems than CCleaner! I'll tell her to get it installed tomorrow.
Me too.

It gets good reviews from alot of websites and doesn't seem to interfere with  the rest of my spyware/anti-virus arsenal.

I Like It  :)
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

http://www.glaryutilities.com

this also works well...

and its also FREE !!!

b. :D
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

I went for the Glary Utilities one, as it seems to do everything, although you need to read what it is going to do when it "repairs" something cos it wants to delete temporary files and stuff by default which might not be what you need.

But all in all Glary Utils gets a  :D  from me
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

I assume you're dealing with usb devices that have previously worked on the laptop, Dave?

I only ask because I've got a laptop (HP) that's only a year old and yet some newer devices (such as the latest iphones) don't work, or don't work well. I've spoken to an 'expert' at HP and Apple about this, and there are issues with products coming onto the market with compatability difficulties (hands up those who believed that usb was the end of these sort of issues  :? )
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Unfortunately the 'mobo' reboot didn't work, so I d/loaded 'Glary Utils'  and scanned until everything was clear then rebooted. No luck.

Keith, it's all the devices that she's used with no problems in the past. ipod, flash drive etc.

In 'Device Manager' there's loads of USB ports shown, when in reality there's only one external port. Does anyone know which of the ones in 'Device Manager' relates to the external port? I want to know which one to update the drivers for.
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

melter65 wrote:Does anyone know which of the ones in 'Device Manager' relates to the external port? I want to know which one to update the drivers for.
I wish I could tell what mine were ... My work Dell has just 3 external USB ports and a builtin usb sd card reader yet shows 13 usb devices - i know that the trackpad/keyboard are classed as USB devices - its impossible to work out what's what.

Guessing the computer is up to date with manufacturer drivers and windows updates etc?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Have you tried first principles?

Switch off. Unplug power supply. Remove main battery. Go make a cup of tea.

then...

Refit main battery. Switch on. Hope for the best.

If that doesn't work you may have to repeat but remove the CMOS battery as well. Where that is and if it's accessable only you can see. It's a little circular battery - careful you replace it the right way round!

If still bust...

Try, in Device Manager, 'right click' the topmost entry (computer name) and select 'scan for hardware changes'.

There are other things which are a bit more drastic and not for the fainthearted and at your own risk!

The easiest being to remove ALL the USB Host controllers in Device Manager individually, followed by 'right click' over the topmost entry (computer name) and select 'scan for hardware changes' This will reinstall the USB controllers.

That's enough to be going on with!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Now I feel a right pudding to admit this, but I never thought to check the rest of the ports on the daughters lappy, I just took her word for it that it only had one USB port.

It has three USB ports :oops:

Two are working OK, the one she normally uses is still giving the error message, even after reinstalling. The only conclusion I can come to is that the non-working port is broken internally.

Thanks for all your suggestions on ways to overcome the problem, but I think a visit to the PC doctor is next on the list!
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

hehe.

The dell i have has a low powered usb2 on 1 side - i only use it for a mouse - and 2 proper usb2 sockets on th other side that are able to power hard drives.

If u plug a device in the broken slot does Windows show power usage in device manager?
Might suggest whether its software or hardware ... just my 2 cents.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I'll try that tomorrow, she's doing college work on it atm :D

btw, she feels as daft as I do that she didn't realise there were more USB ports on the other side! :lol: