Sleeping giant re-awakens !!

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Sleeping giant re-awakens !!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just noticed that a certain "Temujin" has now re-started crunching for Einstein.....so any of you peeps thinking that you could "creep up" on the man and take over his "top slot"  :oops:  must now think again....!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user_gr ... n&id=62467

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I hope he has the optimised app on all the machines he crunches Einstein for, if that is possible for him to do
Temujin

Re: Sleeping giant re-awakens !!

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:so any of you peeps thinking that you could "creep up" on the man and take over his "top slot"  :oops:  must now think again....!
its bad timing, thats all.
If seti enhanced hadn't come along and made 5 old slow linux machines all but redundant, I wouldn't have looked twice at einstein (except for the odd crunch of course).
But, after putting those 5 linux machines onto einstein, I thought i'd give it a bit more and moved over 2 P4 Ds from seti (seeing as my RAC was hitting the floor anyway)
And yes, they're all running opti apps.

I'm in 2 minds what to do at the moment, I'm no longer pulling in the credits with seti that I was but want to stay with it so UBT can catch lookers sooner rather than later but also want to move to a different project for the credits probably einstein (cue Daves credit whore jibes  :D )
UBT - Halifax-lad

No optimised app for Linux then you credit whore :lol:  :lol:

Well at least Einstein is getting some extra work done from you, maybe when Astropulse comes to testing you could spare a machine to try that :?:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:No optimised app for Linux then you credit whore :lol:  :lol:
yep, they're using opti apps too
UBT - Halifax-lad

Temujin wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:No optimised app for Linux then you credit whore :lol:  :lol:

Kewl only thought it was Windows
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
Temujin wrote:
Kewl only thought it was Windows
They don't give the same boost as the windows apps but every little helps
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I have found the optimised client gains about a 3 fold credit on my AMD computer.  The 45 minute WU has a claimed credit of 7.8 but the granted credit can be anything from 12 to the forties or low fifties.  A computer earning 330 a day with Rosetta or CP will earn over 1000 with Einstein.  It just takes time for the stats to accumulate as pending credits can take over a week to be granted.

Great for the stats but maybe for not much longer.  I think the person who wrote the optimised client now works for Einstein, and I would expect the good times for the credit whores to end soon, maybe in time to help us catch Russia.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Great for the stats but maybe for not much longer.  I think the person who wrote the optimised client now works for Einstein, and I would expect the good times for the credit whores to end soon, maybe in time to help us catch Russia.
Hmmn, so do I chuck all my machines onto Einstein while I can and make the most of it or do I stick it out with seti :scratch:
decisions decisions
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:
UBT - JohnR wrote:Great for the stats but maybe for not much longer.  I think the person who wrote the optimised client now works for Einstein, and I would expect the good times for the credit whores to end soon, maybe in time to help us catch Russia.
Hmmn, so do I chuck all my machines onto Einstein while I can and make the most of it or do I stick it out with seti :scratch:
decisions decisions

Hi John

From my standpoint, we have two things to achieve (in no particular order):

1) To gain top spot on SETI in UK

This was only going to take until maybe mid-July, but with SETI Enhanced now producing less credits per hour and with the opti-clients now seeming to be on a more level playing field (compared to standard client) so, becoming #1 will now take longer - maybe August?.

2) To protect ourselves from a "certain" team taking over our 3rd spot in UK (which will take them around 190 days at current rates), as well as trying to overtake "Russia" who have also recognised the benefits of crunching for Einstein.

On a purely Team stats level, I think an opti-client on Einstein will generate more credits per hour, compared to SETI.

So, do we want to be #44 in the world (overall) or #1 in UK (on SETI).

My opinion is that we get to #1 on SETI first, (as we already out-RAC "them", so once at #1, we can hopefully keep them at bay). And then we can see how we fare on Einstein and see if the credits we can generate will be enough to move us up the World rankings.

BTW: The next two teams above us and "Russia"  (Hungary and LittleWhiteDog) have lower RAC's than us, so we may get to 43rd place before we overtake "Russia"!

regards,

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

On the Einstein site if you follow the link at the bottom  Einstein@home in the news the New Scientist article on Akos Fekete states that

"He modified the code and submitted it to the project co-ordinators. The modifications at least double the speed of calculations, says James Riordon, a spokesman for the APS. The scientists behind the project hope to distribute the modifications to all users when the next batch of data is ready for analysis in June 2006."

All I was saying is that it looks like the "good times", will soon finish.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Well, I've set all my Seti machines to no new work and when they run dry they'll be switched over to Einstein while the going is good and then maybe back onto Seti.
Not sure what RAC I'll achieve, used to get 35k with seti opit apps, lets hope the current situation lasts long enough to find out.