BOINC Pentathlon

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
crille

BOINC Pentathlon

Post by crille »

Dear members of the UK BOINC Team, :)

From the 5th to 19th May 2010 SETI.Germany is arraging a completely new competition: the BOINC Pentathlon. This new cross-project competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world.

Like in the ancient Greece we'll also perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.

Each team that wants to participate in the BOINC Pentathlon needs to sign up here (possible until 1st of May).

More information regarding the BOINC Pentathlon can be found here.

Your participation is very much appreciated.
crille
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thanks for the invite crille.

Ooh! This looks interesting!
The BOINC Pentathlon will be performed in 5 different disciplines:

* Astronomy
   * Physics & Chemistry
   * Biology & Medicine
   * Mathematics
   * Alternative

The projects for the various disciplines to choose from are

1. Astronomy
         * SETI
         * Cosmology
         * Milkyway
  2. Physics & Chemistry
         * Einstein
         * Ibercivis
         * Leiden
         * QMC
  3. Biology & Medicine
         * Rosetta
         * Docking
         * MalariaControl
         * HFCC
         * HCC
         * HCMD2
         * FA@H
         * HPF2
         * WCG (in complete)
         * RNA World
  4. Mathematics
         * ABC
         * PrimeGrid
         * RCN
         * Collatz
  5. Alternate
         * yoyo
         * POEM
         * FreeHal
         * Spinhenge

Each team signing up for the BOINC Pentathlon (possible until 1st of May) can suggest a project for every discipline. The project with the largest number of suggestions will be crunched – except for that the project

* can't provide a sufficient number of workunits
   * supports just a few operating systems
   * uses a buggy application
   * doesn't offer the creation of new accounts
According to the site someone will have to register us and suggest our preferences for the 5 projects. The 5 suggestions would be visible after registration but that's no big deal other than others looking at the suggestions which may influence their voting.

I think I can all ready see one problem in that teams with a high proportion of GPU users may have an advantage.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Looks interesting. I can see what you mean, Mikee, about the GPU heavy teams, but not all the sections include projects with GPU apps. We'll have to vote smart!

Do we need 'The Founder' to get us into this? Or can Darren do it?
crille

Post by crille »

"The founder" is not needed to sign up. Every team member can sign up a team by using this form.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

We need to decide which projects to crunch. Any suggestions welcome! :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I'll throw in my twopenny worth to start!

1. Astronomy
        * Cosmology
No reason - just fancy it!

2. Physics & Chemistry
        * Ibercivis
Dire credits, but we could do with the boost to get UK #1

3. Biology & Medicine
        * WCG (in complete)
As above!

4. Mathematics
        * Collatz
My current fave!

5. Alternate
* yoyo.

Though as Spinhenge cheerleader I suppose it should've been that! :-)

Plenty of room for more opinions! Image

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

i will go with the flow....

sitting on fences is ok by me lol

b. :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I see no reason to disagree with your choices, Mikee. Now do we all have to register separately, or just one registration per team?

EDIT: Having reread the form again it's obvious that only one person is needed to register each team! So we need to find out if anyone has any alternate choices to Mikee's and I'll volunteer to be the contact person for UBT, if no one has any objections to that? :D
crille

Post by crille »

Hi!

A little reminder ;): The BOINC Pentathlon will start on 05.05.. You'll have to sign up until 01.05.

I hope you'll join the fun like these teams did so far :)

Best regards from Germany
crille
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

melter65 wrote:I see no reason to disagree with your choices, Mikee. Now do we all have to register separately, or just one registration per team?

EDIT: Having reread the form again it's obvious that only one person is needed to register each team! So we need to find out if anyone has any alternate choices to Mikee's and I'll volunteer to be the contact person for UBT, if no one has any objections to that? :D
Didn't see this post for some reason before.

You go for it!

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

The last registration date is May 1st, so I'll leave it until closer to that date just in case anyone has any other suggestions for projects :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

This looks like being an interesting competition, and I've been thinking about which of the projects I'd prefer to crunch. If I understand the rules correctly, then it's the total points earned by the entire team on the chosen projects over the specified 5 day periods that count. So given that most team members probably never read the forum, and so will remain ignorant of the fact that we are competing in the BOINC Pentathalon, I suggest that we vote for the projects that most of our members are already crunching (thereby playing to our team's strengths).  :idea:

So taking a quick look at John's stats page, and then picking the projects in each of the five disciplines where UBT has the highest RAC, gives the following projects:-

1. Astronomy
        * Milkyway
2. Physics & Chemistry
        * Einstein
3. Biology & Medicine
        * Rosetta
4. Mathematics
        * Collatz
5. Alternate
        * FreeHal

Of course I'm happy to go with what everybody else thinks, just thought I'd give everyone the opportunity of laughing at my general ignorance first.  :wink:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Joshrandom wrote:This looks like being an interesting competition, and I've been thinking about which of the projects I'd prefer to crunch. If I understand the rules correctly, then it's the total points earned by the entire team on the chosen projects over the specified 5 day periods that count. So given that most team members probably never read the forum, and so will remain ignorant of the fact that we are competing in the BOINC Pentathalon, I suggest that we vote for the projects that most of our members are already crunching (thereby playing to our team's strengths).  :idea:

So taking a quick look at John's stats page, and then picking the projects in each of the five disciplines where UBT has the highest RAC, gives the following projects:-

1. Astronomy
        * Milkyway
2. Physics & Chemistry
        * Einstein
3. Biology & Medicine
        * Rosetta
4. Mathematics
        * Collatz
5. Alternate
        * FreeHal

Of course I'm happy to go with what everybody else thinks, just thought I'd give everyone the opportunity of laughing at my general ignorance first.  :wink:
very good and valid points   :)  :)  :)

b. :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Joshrandom wrote:This looks like being an interesting competition, and I've been thinking about which of the projects I'd prefer to crunch. If I understand the rules correctly, then it's the total points earned by the entire team on the chosen projects over the specified 5 day periods that count. So given that most team members probably never read the forum, and so will remain ignorant of the fact that we are competing in the BOINC Pentathalon, I suggest that we vote for the projects that most of our members are already crunching (thereby playing to our team's strengths).  :idea:

1. Astronomy
        * Milkyway
2. Physics & Chemistry
        * Einstein
3. Biology & Medicine
        * Rosetta
4. Mathematics
        * Collatz
5. Alternate
        * FreeHal

A very good post, Mr Random!

Seeing as you actually did some research and made a good point about the team members not realising they were taking part, this will now stand as the official project list for the BOINC Pentathlon! :D

If anyone has any other choices or points to make then be quick about it as I'm going to register the team in the next few days.

Of course this will just be UBT's preferences, it all depends on the other teams choices as to which five projects we'll be crunching on the Pentathlon.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

This Thread is now Closed. The team has been registered in the Pentathlon and I've made a new thread for posts regarding progress and updates.